PDA

View Full Version : what kind of spider is this?

nakman
09-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Had a little surprise when I removed one of my Scout wheels today, this guy was living in there. Anyone know what kind it is? I didn't squish it, but I did carry it down across the road and let it go..

.avi movie (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/nakman/spider.avi) (right click, save as)

Hants
09-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Dunno, but looks pretty cool. :)

MDH33
09-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Blaaahhh!!! :eek: :bolt:

IH8Spiders!

Looks like some sort of Orb Weaver.

Check out the archives on What's that bug.com. Fun site to help identify the creepy crawlers:

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

Nay
09-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I'd second a type of orb weaver.

Red_Chili
09-06-2008, 09:09 PM
They can weave their dadgum orbs somewhere else as far as I am concerned! I am with Martin.

theboomboom
09-06-2008, 09:39 PM
who cares about a spider, is the wheel off a sign of the scout getting some brake work done?

timmbuck2
09-06-2008, 10:12 PM
had a black widow in the kitchen last month...kinda cool until I thought about the 3 year old and the newborn....

nakman
09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
who cares about a spider, is the wheel off a sign of the scout getting some brake work done?

Yup, first time I've had any of the tires off. :o

nakman
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
had a black widow in the kitchen last month...kinda cool until I thought about the 3 year old and the newborn....

Yikes, that's scary. Haven't seen any black widows, thankfully. Had 2 bears go through our recycling last night though :eek:.

cbmontgo
09-06-2008, 10:52 PM
That looks very similar to a spider that spins webs near docks and waterfront where I grew up in Mississippi. They are harmless if it's the same type of spider...but I don't know why it would be living on a brake drum in Colorado.

He looks like a mean bastard though.

Nick F.
09-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Looks like a cats head spider. If you look at it straight on from back the two bumps form the ears of the cat and some have markings that look like the nose. I have some really great pics of one on my other computer but the power supply just fried. I had one last summer on my fence with a butt the size of a quarter

Nick F.

Uncle Ben
09-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Cats Head is a great name! I call them horned spiders which is pretty boring! I just Googled both names and it looks like Horned is the correct name but Cathead is a common name! Very cool what ever you call it! :thumb: I had a pet Orb Weaver in an old sink at the Boulder property for quite a few months. My manager put a stick in the sink and let it escape one day....really pissed me off....dang near fired the guy! :rant: It was HUGE! The footprint was probably 3.5" across! I've always been intrigued by spiders. My youngest daughetr is hyper afraid of them....go figure...:rolleyes:

Inukshuk
09-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I recently found a 1 inch Wolf Spider in my garage and its back was loaded up with babies. I released it in the garden. Its a non-poisonous to humans hunting spider. (BTW, even with many Black Widows in CO, bites are rare).

Top two pictures below are probably also Cat's Head. They were at my house last summer.

Can anyone guess what the bottom two are (both being very gross!)?

Nick F.
09-07-2008, 12:46 PM
First one looks like an engorged tick and the second maybe some kind of bot fly larva?

farnhamstj
09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Of course you use a snow shovel to prop open the hood of the snowplow.
Yup, first time I've had any of the tires off. :o

nakman
09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Of course you use a snow shovel to prop open the hood of the snowplow.

It's got a prop, but it was in my way doing the plugs. Plus the shovel gave me a lot more room to work with.. :hill:

farnhamstj
09-07-2008, 09:58 PM
That third picture is going to give me bad dreams. My head kind of itched a little before I saw that...

Mountain Drew
09-07-2008, 10:25 PM
The other day I was walking into my school, and I saw something out of the conner of my eye.... I thought it was apiece of trash but it was a spider the size of my palm and it went flying across the ground right in front of me.:eek: lol I wish I would have gotten a pic....... BTW I'm Drew Worth TCH2Fly's son... this is my first post lol . if you like spiders, check this out!!!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=crack+spider+&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#hl=en&emb=0&aq=f&q=spiders%20on%20drugs&src=2

Uncle Ben
09-07-2008, 10:37 PM
The other day I was walking into my school, and I saw something out of the conner of my eye.... I thought it was apiece of trash but it was a spider the size of my palm and it went flying across the ground right in front of me.:eek: lol I wish I would have gotten a pic....... BTW I'm Drew Worth TCH2Fly's son... this is my first post lol . if you like spiders, check this out!!!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=crack+spider+&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#hl=en&emb=0&aq=f&q=spiders%20on%20drugs&src=2

I've seen that vid before but it still "cracks" me up! Off to a good start on posts! :thumb: :lmao:

fjcruzer
09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Looks like a cats head spider. If you look at it straight on from back the two bumps form the ears of the cat and some have markings that look like the nose. I have some really great pics of one on my other computer but the power supply just fried. I had one last summer on my fence with a butt the size of a quarter

Nick F.

x2. I asked a buddy of mine who's an arachnologist at DMNS:

"That is the "Cat-faced spider" aka Araneus gemmoides, or, it is at least in the same genus of Araneus. I'm surprised in was living in such a housing. They are spiders that make the big bullseye web, so it might have been using the wheel as a retreat during the day."

Inukshuk
09-08-2008, 12:01 AM
First one looks like an engorged tick and the second maybe some kind of bot fly larva?

:thumb:

If the engorged Tick made Farnham itch, I wonder what reaction he will have to the thought of a Cuterebra fly larvae growing under his skin, or how he will react when I describe how I discovered it on Zan and it popped out when I pulled on the surrounding skin..... so coolly incredibly gross! :hill:

MDH33
09-08-2008, 09:46 AM
x2. I asked a buddy of mine who's an arachnologist at DMNS:

"That is the "Cat-faced spider" aka Araneus gemmoides, or, it is at least in the same genus of Araneus. I'm surprised in was living in such a housing. They are spiders that make the big bullseye web, so it might have been using the wheel as a retreat during the day."

yup. Araneus = Orb Weaver. I had one that lived under our front porch light in Denver. It would come out at night and spin webs, then hide out somewhere nearby during the day. ick!

We've squished two black widows this August/September so far. Coming in from the cold already I guess.

nakman
09-01-2014, 05:31 PM
this guy is hanging around under the tramp today. :eek:

Shotshell
09-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Holy mother of all thread revivals, Batman!

Cool looking spider though.:thumb:

Squishy!
09-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Caught this bugger after :princess: touched it under a window sill and freaked out. Lol

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/24/1430b12c60dac7d5740785d01482c354.jpg

Looks like a wolf. Any ideas?

Inukshuk
09-25-2014, 01:26 AM
Wolf