PDA

View Full Version : 1st gear pops out

InsanityIsBorn
09-07-2008, 10:00 AM
So I went for the maiden off-roading trip in my cruiser with new manual transmission and transfer case yesterday. Worked GREAT! other than two small problems. One was the clutch slave cylinder seems to leak which made it hard to shift occasionally. The other is the one I need help with. When I was going down several steep declines, I would have it in 4LO and 1st gear. I would get going along down the slope and I couldn't figure out when it woould happen, but it would pop out of gear and I would have to hit the brakes a bit and it would slide a bit (very sketchy in a few places). What could cause this to happen? How can I fix this?

Thanks for the help

Kiel

Red_Chili
09-08-2008, 07:29 AM
I am a mini guy so take what I say with a grain of salt. Possible causes (with a new tranny, assuming it was rebuilt? Still #3 applies):
1) Body contacting shifter under certain flex conditions. You mentioned only going downhill. The drivetrain shifts a bit.
2) Shifter seat wear.
3) Tranny has excessive play in bearings, or longitudinal clearances (C clip retainers on the main shaft) were not as tight as they should be.
4) Engagement ring (shift collar) retainers are worn.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Hate to say it but Chili speaks truth! :rolleyes: For some reason first gear is either not engaging all the way of the mainshaft bearings are worn enough to cause the shaft to "wriggle" it out of gear. Definitely more than a "small" problem as that could be life threatening!

Chris
09-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Kiel, as I mentioned elsewhere, adjust the linkage.:banghead:

Uncle Ben
09-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Kiel, as I mentioned elsewhere, adjust the linkage.:banghead:

Is this a "three on the tree" Cruiser? :confused:

Chris
09-08-2008, 09:59 AM
I had the exact same problem with my new 5 speed after install, adjusted the TC linkage and all's been fine since.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I had the exact same problem with my new 5 speed after install, adjusted the TC linkage and all's been fine since.

Now I'm really confused....is it his tranny or T-case popping out? :confused:

Chris
09-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I would have it in 4LO and 1st gear

Good point, Kiel doesn't really say but since it was so similar to my experience I made the leap to TCase.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Good point, Kiel doesn't really say but since it was so similar to my experience I made the leap to TCase.

Same story on T-case except it doesn't have syncros. Either like Chris states, the linkage is worn or out of adjustment or the output/lower shaft bearings are toast or the retainer is loose.

InsanityIsBorn
09-10-2008, 11:34 PM
It is the transmission that is popping out of gear. But only in that exact instance: going downhill, in 4LO in 1st gear.

Red_Chili
09-11-2008, 07:21 AM
That would not be an uncommon combination for the causes mentioned. There is a lot of torque being input to the tranny and could cause the mainshaft to shift *just* enough if bearings are worn or clearances are marginal or excessive play is in the sum of the parts for any other reason.

It would also not be uncommon if the body is too close to the shifter and is popping it out.