PDA

View Full Version : funny happening on the way too

powderpig
09-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Anyhow we all do some funny things at time. I replaced the outer tie rods on my saab. I tried to do a eyesight alignment and thought I got it right. We after driving to Grand junction last night, then hopping into the car and driving out to LA. I found my self in Mesquite NV with a load noise happening. Of course it was at tire rotational speed. I was wondering if maybe one of my wheeling bearings was giving up the ghost. I pulled off the road to see if the bearing was loose. But no, the tires had worn down to the cord.:eek:
The tires were on there way out any how, but I did want them to last through the fall. So I had the alignment a bit off, but not that bad. I did not want to chance a blow out, so I am getting a alignment here in Mesquite and buying some new tires. there is no way they would of lasted to LA or even Las vegas. I guess I am lucky I checked out the noise, instead of just driving on. Anyhow just some mental stress on my way to a job. It will cost me more here then in a major city, but safety is the major concern.
Some times even us professionals make some funny choices for our selfs.
Moral, is do not do things in a hurry, or by pass a step it may cost you your life.:thumb:

subzali
09-08-2008, 03:30 PM
good advice. Glad you're safe.

Hants
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Glad you checked out the sound before something REALLY bad happened. Money & tires are "wear" items. :)

Uncle Ben
09-08-2008, 04:47 PM
You should have had a mechanic look at it before you left town! :eek: :bolt: :lmao:

nakman
09-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Must be an IFS thing.. when you aligned my 80 with a tape measure I later took it down and we put it up on the big rack at Kuni Lexus.. all was in spec.

:bowdown: :robbie: :)

PS- Kevin you made a funny. :lmao:

Red_Chili
09-08-2008, 05:54 PM
The cobbler's children all go barefoot... :lmao:

powderpig
09-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Well I still have the wheel bearing sound, but just not as bad(noise level is acceptable). The saab is so low, I would have to loose a bunch a weight to get under it, then I may not have the strength to turn the wrench.
Stuck in the traffic in Las vegas, so I turned off to starbucks and internet access. The winds and rains are bad(the old tires would not have done me much good in the water on the road, all things have a purpose I guess). I saw a tractor trailer get blowen off the road, the driver did a fantastic job, driving it down the 20 + ft hill(over the side of the road) to the bottom and did not filp the trailer or truck. I am sure he is cleaning his pants out. Looked like the radiator lost some fluid as well. He was on his cell phone calling some one. I stopped, but saw him on the phone and thought he was OK. The weather is wonderful here in Nevada.