PDA

View Full Version : Mark Whatley and the TLCA

Shark Bait
09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
I suppose you all have seen this (http://forum.ih8mud.com/tlca-discussion-forum/239733-mark-whatley-tlca.html) nonsense over on IH8MUD. :eek:

Todd really wanted to keep Mark on, but it wasn't to be.

Red_Chili
09-09-2008, 06:41 AM
When they start putting a picture of a Toyota truck on the cover o TT, it's time to go. And when there are more pics and articles about FJ Cruisers or Tacomas or 4 Runners in TT than Land Cruisers, I'm out.

TLCA = Toyota LAND CRUISER Association.......just sayin'

http://images.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Wonder if the corvette association accepts camaros, chevettes & el caminos http://images.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/meh.gif

You certainly have your collection of morons over there, doncha? Hope the door doesn't hit 'em on the way out. Just sayin'... :lmao:

Glad to see some rays of intelligence in response:
TLCA does stand for Toyota Land Cruiser Association, but it represents awesome people who are like minded Toyota enthusists enjoying camraderie and their trucks.

Buck Buchanan

Didn't quote our club members because it goes without saying that they are laser beams of common sense. :thumb:

treerootCO
09-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Of all the covers of TT, this issue's cover didn't have the artistic quality I would have expected to see. The Tacoma doesn't bother me but I bet the club could come up with some great mini truck, Tacoma, 4runner, Tundra shots if Todd asked.

I don't know the reasons why Mark stepped down but if he had a reason, then that is his choice.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I posted a comment, as well.

I know Pete must not be the first to have this attitude and he won't be the last.

Hope he has a better day, looks like he is getting hammered in there.

Hulk
09-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I suppose you all have seen this (http://forum.ih8mud.com/tlca-discussion-forum/239733-mark-whatley-tlca.html) nonsense over on IH8MUD.

Heh. I posted a little something.

Of all the covers of TT, this issue's cover didn't have the artistic quality I would have expected to see.

I thought the same thing. Then I saw that it was Todd's truck, which made me wonder if he is getting ready to move on, too. If I had been editor for a long time, I would certainly make sure my truck graced the cover before I left.

Crash
09-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't have any idea what Todd's plans are but when you look at the story and photo credits, he is doing a lot more than just being the editor of Toyota Trails. As Ige has correctly pointed out, Toyota Trails and the TLCA is what WE make it and if Todd isn't getting much input from us, story-wise, then he has to pick up the slack to fill the pages. Thanks to you Matt, for representing the Rising Sun in the recent issue.

PabloCruise
09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I saw this thread.

I was more impressed with the photo of Nakman than the cover Taco.

I have to admit I was pretty bummed to hear Mark was leaving.

Mark was the reason I went back and bought back issues of the Trails.

Mark was the inspiration for my 60 series PS conversion on my 40.

Having said all that, I think Mr. Bill WheelWright did a damn fine job on his first time taking the Tech Column.

I think ideally the TLCA could have done some damage control earlier in the year the first time Mark's column failed to appear. Instead, I had to ask. A lot of people get the Trails mostly to read Mark. That is pretty incredible in an era when forums equate to 24/7 tech coverage. Todd's column describing Mark's departure was adequate, but a little late - IMHO.

Hulk
09-10-2008, 01:34 AM
My understanding was that Mark kind of lost interest and was impossible to reach since Jan. 1st. Given his reputation and history, the TLCA folks tried to reach him for months to see if he was going to continue. They held the column open for months out of respect, not because they were trying to cover anything up.

No matter how good a job you do, someone will interpret it the wrong way.

Uncle Ben
09-10-2008, 07:06 AM
I saw this thread.

I was more impressed with the photo of Nakman than the cover Taco.

I have to admit I was pretty bummed to hear Mark was leaving.

Mark was the reason I went back and bought back issues of the Trails.

Mark was the inspiration for my 60 series PS conversion on my 40.

Having said all that, I think Mr. Bill WheelWright did a damn fine job on his first time taking the Tech Column.

I think ideally the TLCA could have done some damage control earlier in the year the first time Mark's column failed to appear. Instead, I had to ask. A lot of people get the Trails mostly to read Mark. That is pretty incredible in an era when forums equate to 24/7 tech coverage. Todd's column describing Mark's departure was adequate, but a little late - IMHO.

I don't know very many people who have became, or stay, TLCA members just to read Marks anything. I get Toyota Trails as a benefit for belonging to TLCA! Not bashing Mark at all but curious how many folks here have personally seen his work? If you want to hold Mark up on a pedestal send a email or PM to Bruce or Barb Miller first and ask them how much they enjoyed having Mark build them a truck! Toyota Trails is your clubs magazine....if ya don't like what's in it contribute or possibly this particular club might not be for you! Things change, people move on.....that's a good thing!

PabloCruise
09-12-2008, 02:29 PM
My understanding was that Mark kind of lost interest and was impossible to reach since Jan. 1st. Given his reputation and history, the TLCA folks tried to reach him for months to see if he was going to continue. They held the column open for months out of respect, not because they were trying to cover anything up.

No matter how good a job you do, someone will interpret it the wrong way.

Good to know, like I said, I had to ask. so I figured something was up...

If you don't put out the message, people will have no choice but interpret. Thanks for the scoop.

I don't know very many people who have became, or stay, TLCA members just to read Marks anything. I get Toyota Trails as a benefit for belonging to TLCA! Not bashing Mark at all but curious how many folks here have personally seen his work? If you want to hold Mark up on a pedestal send a email or PM to Bruce or Barb Miller first and ask them how much they enjoyed having Mark build them a truck! Toyota Trails is your clubs magazine....if ya don't like what's in it contribute or possibly this particular club might not be for you! Things change, people move on.....that's a good thing!

Never seen Mark's work, just like his writing. Obviously, I loved his article on the 60 series PS...

Change is good, and like I say, Mr. Wheelwright did a bang-up job! Plus, how can you go wrong with a name like Wheel-Right!

:cheers: