PDA

View Full Version : Where does the oil go?

subzali
09-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Now I WAS positive I put in 5 qts. (I know technically the engine capacity is 4.6 qts. or something, bite me) after I put my head back together on the 22R-E. Now I'm not so sure because I was down 2 qts. this morning (got an indication yesterday evening with the oil light, checked it this morning).

I have NEVER had to check the oil on this truck, it doesn't burn, lose or use any. I have not noticed any burning or smell since I did the head gasket.

I DON'T have any leaks.

So what could have happened to 2 qts. of oil? I'm due for my first 3,000 mile oil change since the head gasket.

wesintl
09-09-2008, 10:38 AM
It either goes on the ground (or in the coolant) or to the big guy in the sky...

leiniesred
09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Out the tailpipe, Matt.

It burned the oil. No big deal. (yet) Just check it every time you fuel up. You'll go many many more miles.

The MR2-Spyder guys burn up the little engines quite often. You would think a convertible driver would notice the oil burning, but even they don't. They do notice the ticking noise and by then it is often too late. That's the #4 rod bearing and they are 2+ qts down on oil. A few thousand miles later and they are doing an engine swap.

treerootCO
09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I think Dave Armbruster had a post where his newly built 22R/22RE did the same thing when new. I didn't follow up to see if that went away. Another possibility could be, if 22's have the oil fill in the valve cover, it didn't drain to the pan fast enough and the PCV put it all in your intake. Highly unlikely but you asked :p:

subzali
09-09-2008, 11:02 AM
well I'm going to hold my breath, cause I did hear some ticking yesterday that was unfamiliar.

I'm going to watch my tailpipe more carefully. I don't like this.

Red_Chili
09-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Hmmm...
Well, lemme know if you want some pointers on affordable parts. Here's hoping you don't need any! IIRC the cam is the first to go on 22REs - nicer thought than the mains.

Rzeppa
09-10-2008, 07:05 PM
well I'm going to hold my breath, cause I did hear some ticking yesterday that was unfamiliar.

I'm going to watch my tailpipe more carefully. I don't like this.

You might try having an assistant drive behind you to look at the tailpipe?

corsair23
09-10-2008, 08:37 PM
You might try having an assistant drive behind you to look at the tailpipe?

Eh...a waste of gas = not environmentally friendly

Just have said friend lay in the bed with the tailgate down while peering under at the tailpipe. You could even use a strap for safety's sake :thumb: :cool:

subzali
09-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Well I changed the oil again last week and then drove down to the Sand Dunes and back. Didn't lose any the whole trip, nor for the first part of this week (just checked it this morning when I filled up). Maybe for some reason the rings weren't sealing properly for a bit after the HG change and then are back where they need to be? Or maybe it's just a fluke either way (losing or not losing oil). I will keep monitoring, if the problem goes away great.

Red_Chili
09-25-2008, 09:38 AM
That would have no way of affecting the rings.
:confused:
Huh. Well, if it ain't broke...

ATLR
10-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Subazli why didn't you call me?? When you do a head gasket you raise the compression and you may have some blow by ( oil passing the rings ) I have seen it take care of it self in time but you may just have to keep adding oil. I for get did you cut the head? If so the compression went up a lot.

subzali
10-02-2008, 09:19 AM
I remember you guys warned me about that, and I'm pretty sure that's what happening, I was just making sure. If I get sick of adding oil or something else happens don't worry Jesse, I will definitely be calling you ;)

I have to get some stuff back to you still, so I'll be swinging by one of these days anyway...

Thanks for everything you've helped me with so far!