PDA

View Full Version : Chinaman's Gulch Club Run, Sat. April 1st

JadeRunner
02-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Date: Sat. April 1st. 2006

Meeting Place: Gunsmoke Truckstop in Johnson Village

Time: Meet at 9:30 leave at 10:00 am

Channel 4

The trailhead is about 2 hrs. or so from Denver, so be prepared to leave early. The meeting spot is a very close to the trail so we can air down at the Gunsmoke and be ready to go. Here is a link to more info on the trail and it's location on traildamage.com link (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=1)
and a link to a trail report from our last run there. Rising Sun Trail Report (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=504&highlight=chinamans)

This is moderate to difficult trail with lot's of optional challenges on the rock obstacles. Sliders recommended for most vehicles. Bring a lunch and let's have some more fun on this exicting trail.

Beater
02-17-2006, 06:50 AM
HELL Yeah!
This is probably my favorite trail in CO. ( and not just for the margs at the coyote cafe after) The more difficult lines were always tight in the rover, so I can't wait to see what this big pig will do...

Scott, I'll run mid or tail if you need.

Uncle Ben
02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
I think I can make this one too...woo hooo! Like John I would be happy to gun for ya. :cheers:

Hmmmmm after trail margs huh.... :fing: :cheers:

JadeRunner
02-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks guy's, it will be nice to have your big 80's keeping the smaller rigs in line. :)

I have yet to see an 80 take the big line on whale rock. You guys should be able too with yoru long wheel base and front locker. Michael Aaron was close, but backed off after a few scary attempts. We has a 3rd gen runner do it again last summer.

Hulk
02-17-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm planning on making this run. I'll likely bring the 40. :fing:

Beater
02-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks guy's, it will be nice to have your big 80's keeping the smaller rigs in line. :)

I have yet to see an 80 take the big line on whale rock. You guys should be able too with yoru long wheel base and front locker. Michael Aaron was close, but backed off after a few scary attempts. We has a 3rd gen runner do it again last summer.

you meen the left side? I don't know, I would think that the 80 has too long a butt for that side, plus, I am only on 35's. I tried it with 100" wb and 33" and I drug butt.

j

Convert
02-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Allright I'll be there. This should be a great run

bh4rnnr
02-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Planning on being there. Probably just ride along, see how things play out... Any body talk with the Proffitt crew see if they would be up for comming??

treerootCO
02-18-2006, 01:34 AM
I hope to be there. My 40 needs some work...

Bobzooki
02-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I should be there - with 33s on!!!

Nay
02-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Quick intro from a newbie...I picked up a 1995 80 in September and am looking to meet other cruiser owners and actually hit the trails in this pig. It has 2.5" OME and 33" trxus, sliders, skids, lockers, :blah: :blah: :blah: . No flares...no frilly stuff...

I've run Chinaman's a bunch of times in my old Cherokee, and it's one of my favorite trails. This will be a nice primer to get used to the 80 before a late April birthday trip to Moab. Need to feel just how big this thing is on a trail with good optional obstacles...Chinaman's is perfect.

Question: do I need to be an official club member to join on this run? :bowdown:

Thanks!
Nay

JadeRunner
02-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Question: do I need to be an official club member to join on this run? :bowdown:

Thanks!
Nay

Welcome Nay! We would be happy to have you join us on this great trail. Look forward to meeting you.

Uncle Ben
02-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Quick intro from a newbie...I picked up a 1995 80 in September and am looking to meet other cruiser owners and actually hit the trails in this pig. It has 2.5" OME and 33" trxus, sliders, skids, lockers, :blah: :blah: :blah: . No flares...no frilly stuff...

I've run Chinaman's a bunch of times in my old Cherokee, and it's one of my favorite trails. This will be a nice primer to get used to the 80 before a late April birthday trip to Moab. Need to feel just how big this thing is on a trail with good optional obstacles...Chinaman's is perfect.

Thanks!
Nay

Welcome Nay!
Actually it's the other way around. To become a member you have to be on a club run or event and make it to a meeting, then you can be voted in. :)

bh4rnnr
02-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Welcome Nay!
Actually it's the other way around. To become a member you have to be on a club run or event and make it to a meeting, then you can be voted in. :)

New members have to buy the :beer: :beer: :beer: (either that or bring pitchers to the aftermeeting) :hill:

Nay
02-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to meeting everybody...

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Nay

Evrgrnmtnman
02-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Good Chance I'll make this run. Never done it, so it sounds like some fun to get the season kicked off!

JadeRunner
03-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Good Chance I'll make this run. Never done it, so it sounds like some fun to get the season kicked off!

Sounds good CJ. We havn't heard from you in a while.

Evrgrnmtnman
03-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Still out here! Been fixing some leaks on the rig and getting it ready to wheel.......

El Jefe
03-02-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm planning on making this run too...it's been too long since I took the 80 out for some fun. No lockers though, will this be a problem?

Chris

JadeRunner
03-03-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm planning on making this run too...it's been too long since I took the 80 out for some fun. No lockers though, will this be a problem?

Chris

As long as you have at least 33's and sliders you will be ok. It will require some carefull driving skills on the tight spots with your 80. You should enjoy the challenge.

El Jefe
03-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the info, Scott. I've got the 33's and sliders...some day I'll have lockers!

Chris

gcmandrake
03-04-2006, 05:14 PM
This sounds like a fun first trail of the new year. Unfortunately, I don't have 33's or a locker. Just my small 31's and decent sliders. Anyone think I should try it?

Matt

Crash
03-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Yes. It's not like you are going to have to do Carnage which is very close by. You'll have a great time.

This sounds like a fun first trail of the new year. Unfortunately, I don't have 33's or a locker. Just my small 31's and decent sliders. Anyone think I should try it?

Matt

Nay
03-05-2006, 09:10 AM
I agree - everything that is truly difficult on Chinaman's is optional...just need some basic ground clearance and a good driver...

Hulk
03-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Just got a call from Brady. Toyota has requested the FJ Cruiser Trail Team for a corporate Toyota event in L.A. So we are S.O.L. as far as the FJ Cruiser Team for our April 1 run. He felt really bad; he was excited to go on the run himself, and he knew that we had organized this run around their schedule. He tried to negotiate with them, but there was no negotiating.

He offered up a couple of other dates for Rising Sun event with the FJ Team. One was a May date right after CM, which I thought was weak. The other was the Saturday before Father's Day, June 17. I told him to pencil us in on the June 17 date.

The Chinaman's run doesn't need to be cancelled -- I'd still like to go. :fing:

Rezarf
03-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Howdy,

I am running 35's, no sliders, no lockers... should I try it out? Still trying to get some time on Colorado trails, most of my experience in wheeling is in the mud and swamp being from florida and all... yuck!

Rocks still scare me :D

Drew

Hulk
03-06-2006, 09:58 PM
If you were stock, I'd still say yes. Hell yeah, get out on the trail. We'll have some of our best spotters on this run. The best way to learn is by doing it. You'll have a blast.

JadeRunner
03-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Toyota has requested the FJ Cruiser Trail Team for a corporate Toyota event in L.A.

Well that's too bad. I bet they won't even need to air down for that event. That's no fun.

Oh well, this was all a good excuse to plan a run to Chinaman's. I still look forward to it. It sounds like a lot of members that haven't run this trail before will be out, so that should be fun.

Nay
03-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Howdy,

I am running 35's, no sliders, no lockers... should I try it out? Still trying to get some time on Colorado trails, most of my experience in wheeling is in the mud and swamp being from florida and all... yuck!

Rocks still scare me :D

Drew

I think Chinaman's may be the best trail in the state to cut your teeth on Colorado wheeling. You can go really hardcore on some options, pretty light if you bypass...and the big thing...no ledge roads or obstacles that have a major pucker factor. You can certainly roll it on Chinaman's, but you aren't going to roll it off a cliff.

You don't need lockers for this trail, even for some of the good optional obstacles...awesome trail for gauging your capability...

Hulk
03-10-2006, 03:02 PM
This just in: Toyota rescheduled the corporate event. The FJ Cruiser Trail Team (including Robbie) will definitely be at Gunsmoke Truckstop in Johnson Village at 9:30am on April 1st.

Repeat: the FJ Cruiser Trail Team is back in for this run!

Rezarf
03-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I will be there!

JadeRunner
03-12-2006, 09:17 AM
This just in: Toyota rescheduled the corporate event. The FJ Cruiser Trail Team (including Robbie) will definitely be at Gunsmoke Truckstop in Johnson Village at 9:30am on April 1st.

Repeat: the FJ Cruiser Trail Team is back in for this run!

Hey, that's great news!

farnhamstj
03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I got the ok to go. I'll be bringing my 21 month old son. Think there will be any snow? There was plently driving through Buena Vista earlier this week. Think the uzj100 can make it? (do I even need to ask? of course it can. :lmao: )

Nay
03-13-2006, 12:52 PM
I got the ok to go. I'll be bringing my 21 month old son. Think there will be any snow? There was plently driving through Buena Vista earlier this week. Think the uzj100 can make it? (do I even need to ask? of course it can. :lmao: )

Chinaman's is on a West facing slope on the east side of the Sawatch...unless it has snowed recently it should be generally clear (holding snow on Chinaman's is kinda like holding it on the plains...unless it is shady it's going to melt fast...but if you go right after a storm it could be a mess). There are some shady spots that will hold snow...and a couple of them are on nice off camber spots...but all in all Chinaman's is much more like a desert trail than a mountain trail.

Nay

Three Wheel Ben
03-13-2006, 07:27 PM

We are planning on coming to this as well, and bringing the 100, if I get the arb in the front.(2 pinion carrier makes me nervous) :eek:

2 100 on the same trail - cool.

thefatkid
03-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I'd like to go so coun't me in, would be the first time for a club event for me

Red_Chili
03-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Don't let thefatkid fool ya, he is no n00b.

I'll try to make this one!

thefatkid
03-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Will Justin be able to make this trip? Or will he still be in Farmington?

bh4rnnr
03-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Looks like this is going to be a fun run :cool: , Fj cruiser and all. I'll be riding shotgun with Dan :hill: , yes taking LOTS of photos. Works out that it's on my three day weekend. Will be fun to see what the new :robbie: can do :drink: :drink: .

JadeRunner
03-14-2006, 09:57 PM
This is going to be great run. It looks were going to have a good showing of veteran club members as well as new rigs. Cruisers new and old all over the place. With a few Runners mixed in. :)

Last big run we did there, we had 18 rigs. Everyone was prepared and we made it through smoothly.

I will need the tail gunner to hang back at the Gunsmoke a little while to make sure the latecomers get to the trailhead. They will still need to air down when they pull in. Then, the mid gunner will tail gun the first main group. That way we can leave at 10am sharp.

GreenMachine - Uncle Ben, thanks for offering to be gunners.
You guys decide who takes the mid gun position. I expect at least 20 rigs, including the latecomers. Chili, we might need to do some clean-up at Whale Rock. It seems like there always oil in the dirt and on the rock at the Whale Rock obstacle.

On Chinaman's it seems the group gets broken up a bit as people work the optional obstacles toward the end of the trail. This is before we hook back into the trail and descend.

Here a few pictures of Cheeseman (greg), making it up the left line of Whale Rock.

Red_Chili
03-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Will Justin be able to make this trip? Or will he still be in Farmington?
He's back and working at Burt again, I will mention it to him - he can probably go!

A Sammy with a 3.4.... whiskey tango hotel? Hooboy.

Hulk
03-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Brady called me today. They're planning on bringing two FJ Cruisers to Chinaman's Gulch. One has an ARB front bumper, the other one is stock. I told him to bring both!

JadeRunner
03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Brady called me today. They're planning on bringing two FJ Cruisers to Chinaman's Gulch. One has an ARB front bumper, the other one is stock. I told him to bring both!

Way to go Matt. What a perfect trail to test a stock rig. When I first did it stock (no armor, but a lift), I ripped a fender flare off. Driver error of course.

JadeRunner
03-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Steve Hunt from New Mexico making a successfull run at it.

The longer wheel base rigs with a front locker can make quick work of this obstacle, providing the driver has his head together. I have yet to see an 80 series do it though. Mike Aaron was close once.

Hulk
03-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Cripes! I think I'll take the other line in my shorty 40.

Nay
03-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Steve Hunt from New Mexico making a successfull run at it.

The longer wheel base rigs with a front locker can make quick work of this obstacle, providing the driver has his head together. I have yet to see an 80 series do it though. Mike Aaron was close once.

Last time I ran Chinaman's in early Spring the base of the entire obstacle was a muddy mess from snowmelt...it's an entirely different beast with mud...and I bet it'll be muddy this time :D

Nay

powderpig
03-16-2006, 05:20 PM
I tried that line once and could get the front up, but the rear just would not climb it. had to come off it. I think the wheel base was a little too long and the front did not have enough weight to pull it up.
Now the FJ crusier, it may be fun to try it on the 31.5 tires they give us. Any how any one that want to drive the FJ will have to show Id(we want to get a mug shot of you as well), you will have to sign a wavier (we get all your money if you die :lmao: ). Any way I am looking forward to seeing you all and having a fun time.
Things we need from the people that want to drive are a drivers licence, a waiver, and a photo of you. We will then post up your pic on the web site that will launch on the 27th. We get to show the world how much fun you are having as you roll the FJ on it top :flop: (leave that to us, the professional driver types), only kidding. You guys are not allow to roll the FJ no matter what you want to do :hill: .
Later robbie

Rezarf
03-16-2006, 06:21 PM
:eek:

Tell me that rock is optional!? Now I am kinda freakin' out... and all excited at once!

Seriously, are their bypasses for that kind of stuff? And one more, how far from Boulder is the trail head? :confused:

Thanks-

Drew

JadeRunner
03-16-2006, 07:40 PM
:eek:

Tell me that rock is optional!? Now I am kinda freakin' out... and all excited at once!

Seriously, are their bypasses for that kind of stuff? And one more, how far from Boulder is the trail head? :confused:

Thanks-

Drew
That is the hardest of three lines over this obstacle. So don't worry. The trailhead is 2 hrs from most of the Denver metro area (in good traffic). So add 30-45 min. to that time.

JadeRunner
03-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Robbie, put me on your sign-up list to drive the FJ. So I'll bring a picture with myself if that's needed.

powderpig
03-17-2006, 07:38 AM
Hey Scott, we will have some camera's both still and video to take pics. No need to bring the pic with the wife and kids to show that you are a good family man. We all know you are. Any how looking forward to the 1st. later robbie

Magoo
03-17-2006, 01:35 PM
for folks that have run this trail.
can i get away with a stock 88p/u on 33's? never seen the trail so i figured id ask
shawn

wesintl
03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
whadda bout the diesel :confused: :fing: Will i have any issues taking all the bypasses? yea I already know I'm a wuss. :rant:

Nay
03-18-2006, 10:51 AM
You can run this trail in a capable stock rig. Don't let the pics scare you...Old Chinaman's starts out with a rocky climb that has a couple of small ledges and a kind of tight squeeze between two boulders, and there is no bypass to this. After that, all of the serious rock obstacles have bypasses (the bypass to the pics on this thread is to the right hand side).

I know I am being redundant to earlier posts, but if you are looking to test out your rig (and yourself) in a group with varying capabilities, you can't beat Old Chinaman's. The fun starts in the first 100 feet and goes all day. If you can get up the initial climb, and I doubt anybody will have any problems, then you should be good. If you can't get up the initial climb, then there's hot springs and cold :beer: nearby :D .

Nay

Nay
03-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I tried that line once and could get the front up, but the rear just would not climb it. had to come off it. I think the wheel base was a little too long and the front did not have enough weight to pull it up.

This is actually more tech, but it brings up an interesting question: Robbie, what you describe sounds like the typical "unloading" with radius arm suspensions on steep climbs, where the front end will just "drop out" rather than retaining balanced weight and pulling forward. Radius arms installed on hardcore rigs typically need a limiting strap system to counteract this so that the tires have full droop on each side, but the entire axle cannot droop more than a few inches and "unload".

Seems the longer wheelbase would keep better weight on the front and be a major advantage (presuming enough breakover angle), not the other way around...just curious as to what you think about the radius arm issue.

Nay

JadeRunner
03-19-2006, 09:19 AM
You can run this trail in a capable stock rig. Don't let the pics scare you...Old Chinaman's starts out with a rocky climb that has a couple of small ledges and a kind of tight squeeze between two boulders, and there is no bypass to this. After that, all of the serious rock obstacles have bypasses (the bypass to the pics on this thread is to the right hand side).

I know I am being redundant to earlier posts, but if you are looking to test out your rig (and yourself) in a group with varying capabilities, you can't beat Old Chinaman's. The fun starts in the first 100 feet and goes all day. If you can get up the initial climb, and I doubt anybody will have any problems, then you should be good. If you can't get up the initial climb, then there's hot springs and cold :beer: nearby :D .

Nay

I agree with Nay on his descrpiption of this trail. 33's and a little driving skill and you won't have problems.

bustanutley
03-21-2006, 01:17 PM
That rock looks fun :D hope I have my wheels in time to make it and see if my iroks hook up :hill:

trout14
03-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Sounds like a fun time. What are the chances a stock 100 with a rear locker can do this trail without damage and with a rookie driver as well?
Thanks,
Dave

Nay
03-25-2006, 12:13 PM
How "rookie"? What other trails have you run?

Beater
03-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Sounds like a fun time. What are the chances a stock 100 with a rear locker can do this trail without damage and with a rookie driver as well?
Thanks,
Dave

this trail is rated a 7 out of 10. only portions are a seven, but let that be your guide. I did this trail once without sliders and on 31's, and I had the sawzall out the next day.

JadeRunner
03-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks,
Dave

With a stock 100 and no sliders you would want to be an experianced driver. So you would need to be prepared for some trail damage.

trout14
03-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Kinda thought it would be out of my league after doing some more reading. Don't care for body damage quite yet. Very much a rookie. Pretty much the most challenging I have done is go up the forest service road probably most of you take down leading out of Carnage Canyon (near Boulder). Not exactly difficult, but that is the most I have done, other than some rocky roads such as the 4x4 road at the sand dunes. Will wait until another group run does something a bit more in my league.

Shark Bait
03-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Wow! This run looks REAL tempting. I've never run Chinaman's Gulch. Might be too hard to pass up. :grinpimp:

Chris
03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
:eek: I'm think I'll side with trout14 on this.

I was thinking of giving it a try but as a noob I think I'll wait until the group does something a bit less formidable.

Beater
03-26-2006, 09:49 PM
so who's down for camping? I know a GREAT spot that will fit 5+ vehicles and gear..

Beater
03-26-2006, 09:55 PM
heres a pic from 3 years ago, on one of the uglier NON avoidable sections for those not familiar with the trail.

Uncle Ben
03-26-2006, 09:56 PM
so who's down for camping? I know a GREAT spot that will fit 5+ vehicles and gear..

Nice spot and I bet we could winch that unsightly Mange Mower out of the way and make it really nice! :p: :lmao: :cheers:

JadeRunner
03-27-2006, 08:31 AM
That's the rock (your rear tire is on) that I ripped my fender flare off on years ago before I had sliders. FYI, - he's running the trail in reverse.

Beater
03-27-2006, 08:46 AM
That's the rock (your rear tire is on) that I ripped my fender flare off on years ago before I had sliders. FYI, - he's running the trail in reverse.

That's right before the real tippy mogul spot by the tree. Wife wanted to go down back the way we came with over 300# on the roof....

Red_Chili
03-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Notice the nifty frame flex on said Mange Mower... not to mention, that thing was downright ScaryTippy with soft coils.

The rock is avoidable, unless you are aiming for a real schweet poser pic. Not that there's anything wrong with that... or, um, like I wouldn't.

Beater
03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Notice the nifty frame flex on said Mange Mower... not to mention, that thing was downright ScaryTippy with soft coils.

The rock is avoidable, unless you are aiming for a real schweet poser pic. Not that there's anything wrong with that... or, um, like I wouldn't.

please utilize your technical skills and illustrate just where the frame "flexed".

Please.

:bowdown:

nakman
03-27-2006, 03:03 PM
I like the front receiver, did you use that much? I must say I do like your fabbin' ability.. :)

You guys have fun Saturday, I'm out this time, I just can't afford the time away from the house from dusk to dawn my one day of the week to get stuff done. and the list keeps getting longer..

Beater
03-27-2006, 06:04 PM
I like the front receiver, did you use that much? I must say I do like your fabbin' ability.. :)

Thanks.

Didn't see much utilization. just when I was finishing the winch tray to fit there, I sold the truck :rolleyes:

I did pull a few people out with it, and it was handy for moving my trailer once.

j

Convert
03-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Im going to have to pass on this run sincethe 80 is still on jack stands for
the R&P install :bawl: :bawl:

Inukshuk
03-28-2006, 10:13 AM
As Perry said - I'm in and Perry is riding shotgun and playing DJ.

Robbie - please add me to that list!

Romer
03-28-2006, 10:51 AM
heres a pic from 3 years ago, on one of the uglier NON avoidable sections for those not familiar with the trail.

Is the longer wheel base of an 80 better or the shorter wheel base of the 40 for this trail.

Beater
03-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Is the longer wheel base of an 80 better or the shorter wheel base of the 40 for this trail.

You know, I think it's varied enough that the wheelbase doesn't matter too much, I think it's about overall length on this trail. I know runners/xj's don't have much problems, and I have taken several stock rubi's through. The Rubi's drug alot, but they were completely stock on 245's. I think you would have a blast in the 40.

Uncle Ben
03-28-2006, 11:17 AM

A short wheel base will always wheel a tight rocky trail better than a long wheel base. A long wheel base will ride smother and climb better. Two differant beasts! I like the challenge of herding wagons over obsticles as it's a serious challenge to keep that ocean of sheetmetal out of harms way! :Princess: :cool:

Red_Chili
03-28-2006, 12:23 PM
please utilize your technical skills and illustrate just where the frame "flexed".

Please.

:bowdown:
Ooo... Mayhaps did I strike an arc?
The gap betwixt the rock slider and body seam reveals either frame flex or fabricator error, but I know the fabricator and that cannot be it...
or perhaps a cheapie camera but I doubt that too.

treerootCO
03-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Well crap...I took the truck apart and ran into a fab issue with the fenders. I might not make the run now.... :(

Uncle Ben
03-28-2006, 12:52 PM
The gap betwixt the rock slider and body seam reveals either frame flex or fabricator error, but I know the fabricator and that cannot be it...

That was in the design....snow and water run right off that way! :lmao: :p:

Uncle Ben
03-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Well crap...I took the truck apart and ran into a fab issue with the fenders. I might not make the run now.... :(

"Don't need no stinkin' fenders!" :cheers:

Nay
03-28-2006, 11:07 PM

The major optional obstacles will favor the 80's wheelbase (although we're gonna be wishing we had more than OME to try some of those lines). Some of the tight trail sections between obstacles will favor the 40 in a big (well, small) way.

Old Chinaman's is pretty rocky throughout...2.5 hours each way and 6 hours on the trail and your backside will appreciate the 80 for sure :D

Beater
03-29-2006, 06:48 AM

no bill, just your lack of diversity.

The sills on the rr classic where that way from the factory. The sliders are actually sitting right on the chassis. That's the original body stilling in that gap. According to LR, that line was done to help break up the boxiness of the body.

Kipper
03-29-2006, 02:08 PM

How's it looking Mike? do you need me to come by tonight and help get her back together with my *superior fabrication skills?

*"superior fabrication skills" is a relative term, in this case, based on ability to drink beer, run grinder, and give b.s. advice.

treerootCO
03-29-2006, 02:59 PM
I'll be in the driveway and I can always use the help. I have to work tonight so I'll probably get some sleep as soon as the sun starts to go down. I'm off to wheel the compost pile :D Nutley is right, I need to check the clearance before I weld it up.

treerootCO
03-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Does anyone have an extra seat? My moms wants to go Saturday and my friend Ian is going already. I am going to trailer the 40 down there so plenty of room in the Tahoe but, only 1 extra seat in the 40.

Uncle Ben
03-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Does anyone have an extra seat? My moms wants to go Saturday and my friend Ian is going already. I am going to trailer the 40 down there so plenty of room in the Tahoe but, only 1 extra seat in the 40.

I'll be in the 80 so sure. Daughter # 2 is considering it and Brendan Lally might go down with me also but hey its a wagon...plenty of room for more! ;) :thumb:

Hulk
03-29-2006, 11:42 PM
We'll also be hauling a couple of Toyota execs. They don't want to hog the seats in the FJs (those are for us). :D

I told Brandon that we'd have plenty of empty seats.

I'm bringing the 40.

treerootCO
03-29-2006, 11:46 PM
ok, I'll call my mom in the morning. :)

JadeRunner
03-30-2006, 08:25 AM
My Dad will be riding shotgun. But, I'll take out the car seat's from the rear of my runner for others.

I assume the FJ's will have CB radio's?

Uncle Ben and Green Machine will be mid and tail gunners. Three times and your out on the big obstacles.

Red_Chili
03-30-2006, 08:57 AM
no bill, just your lack of diversity.

Oh, yeah. Ubiquitous misperception found in the left-of-center crowd....

Oh, you meant since I'm a Toy guy (and recovering Ford owner) I've never owned a RR. OK. I admit to learning from the mistakes of others without having to make them myself....
:eek: DOH! :rolleyes:

Groucho
03-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Uncle Ben and Green Machine will be mid and tail gunners. Three times and your out on the big obstacles.

Well put. Lets all make it happen. I am planning on going, BTW.

Red_Chili
03-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Justin and I are planning to come. Justin needs to slam a clutch in his truck first.

Huh. I have gotten over 150K miles regularly out of my Toy clutches, and his dies at 80K. Whut dat boy bin doin'?

Nay
03-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Are we going to be on CB channel 4?

JadeRunner
03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Are we going to be on CB channel 4?
Yep. I added that to the first post last week.

wesintl
03-30-2006, 06:37 PM
I think i'm in.. Hey, I mean if a bunch of stock jeeps can do this trail so can a bunch of stockers.

http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/189.aspx

Hulk
03-30-2006, 11:20 PM
I think i'm in.. Hey, I mean if a bunch of stock jeeps can do this trail so can a bunch of stockers.

http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/189.aspx

Which one of your fleet will be your choice? Does this free up my passenger seat for another victim?

Looks like I won't be trying the left side...
http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community//Communities/Community1/Images/tripreports/ChinamanGulchApr2004/vBigUp.JPG
Yikes!

Uncle Ben
03-31-2006, 07:21 AM
Weather update.....looks like the difficulty rating will be going up!

farnhamstj
03-31-2006, 07:51 AM
There are 3 of us driving down from Vail. We're meeting at the US Forest service station (hwy24&I70) at 7 am, See the rest of you in Buena Vista.

JadeRunner
03-31-2006, 07:56 AM
Weather update.....looks like the difficulty rating will be going up!

Thanks for the update Kevin. But, 40% chance of rain shouldn't give us a problem. It always seems like it rains or snows on the way out in the afternoon on this run.

Uncle Ben
03-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the update Kevin. But, 40% chance of rain shouldn't give us a problem. It always seems like it rains or snows on the way out in the afternoon on this run.

It doesn't bother me! Wheeling is a rain or shine kinda thing! ;) :thumb:

Rezarf
03-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Sorry, I won't be able to make it now. I haven't run with Rising Sun yet, so I didn't want to hold anyone up.

Power steering is taking a bit more time than I wanted!

Have fun!

Drew

Nemo
03-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Hey guys and gals. Been meaning to join this forum for some time. For those of you that frequent ih8mud then yes this is the same screen name. I plan on making it up tomorrow and have one silly question. Johnson Village is the meeting place at 930 correct? If so then why the 2 hrs? Or are we to meet earlier than 930 at Johnson Village to be at the trailhead at 930 to leave at 10? :confused: Adding to this is because I didn't think it took nearly that long to get to Johnson Village. I mean you know the 80 flys :D

Beater
03-31-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey guys and gals. Been meaning to join this forum for some time. For those of you that frequent ih8mud then yes this is the same screen name. I plan on making it up tomorrow and have one silly question. Johnson Village is the meeting place at 930 correct? If so then why the 2 hrs? Or are we to meet earlier than 930 at Johnson Village to be at the trailhead at 930 to leave at 10? :confused: Adding to this is because I didn't think it took nearly that long to get to Johnson Village. I mean you know the 80 flys :D

It's easily 2 hours from downtown denver. the 30 mins is for the inevitable late comers.

Romer
03-31-2006, 06:02 PM
Don't confuse Johnson Village in Buena Vista with Johnsons Corner off of I-25

Nemo
03-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys. I was just making certain. Don't want to be the latecomer on my first trip. See ya there. I am excited to make it up.

wesintl
03-31-2006, 06:14 PM
I didn't think it took nearly that long to get to Johnson Village.

Not everyone has 6 cylinders. :blah:

Not everyone gets 23 mpg in a cruiser; can drive there, wheel, and back on a single tank either :lmao:

I'm definatly the slowest :rant:

:snail:

Uncle Ben
03-31-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm definatly the slowest :rant:

:snail:

Your trucks not very quick either! :brick: :tongue2: ;)

wesintl
03-31-2006, 07:08 PM

wha :drool: ?

:D

bh4rnnr
03-31-2006, 07:29 PM

If Wes didnt spend so much time pimping this place out :ranger: , he might have more time to :weld: on the :robbie: and put in that turbo :grinpimp: . Not that I want you to stop pimping this place out :bowdown:

JadeRunner
03-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Look forward to meeting you Nemo. Not sure what you drive. It usually takes me an 1:45 (when I used to live in S. Denver). But, I drive pretty fast.

Be sure to wave, when passing the 40's in South Park. :)

Keep it on channel 4. I'm really stoked for this run!

Shark Bait
03-31-2006, 08:36 PM
I'll be there. :thumb: Bringing the :Princess: so you all better be on your best behavior. :lmao:

bh4rnnr
03-31-2006, 08:42 PM
I'll be there. :thumb: Bringing the :Princess: so you all better be on your best behavior. :lmao:

:eek: :bolt: :grinpimp: :beer:

JadeRunner
03-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Glad you can make it Chris.

Someone make sure to get a picture of Chris' Pig going throught the squeeze near the beginning of the trail. It's gonna be tight for him.

Here's a few pics. I'm taking an odd route up the middle line on whale rock and Robbie couldn't make it up the hard line on the double slab.

powderpig
03-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Chris and I had a great deal of fun seeing how the FJ's do on the trail today. We currently are in BV and had a blast on the trail, who needs ground clearence when you have A-trac, some rock stacking and good spotting. (yes we needed to stack a couple of rocks, not too many). With only 8 inches under the front (arb, winch and full belly pan) adds a little weight to the front end. All in all it was a good day, some obsticles have gotten worse over time. But doable for sure. The FJ trail team is looking forward to the first trail event with the Rising sun crew. See you guys in the morning. later robbie

Uncle Ben
03-31-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm heading out solo as both passengers bailed. :rolleyes: Someone need a ride I can accomidate as long as your ready by "too dang early o'clock!" :eek: CYA all!

I'll most likely do I-70 to Frisco then south.

El Jefe
03-31-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm bailing too...too much to get done before we leave for Florida, plus I need to do a couple of hours at work tomorrow. Have a great time down there and take lots of pics!

Chris

wesintl
04-01-2006, 05:57 AM
If Wes didnt spend so much time pimping this place out :ranger: , he might have more time to :weld: on the :robbie: and put in that turbo :grinpimp: . Not that I want you to stop pimping this place out :bowdown:

Shade tree mech is no issue it's the 1-2k I need to for the parts

With some good news from the wife... I won't have a buget for this in the forseeable future. :eek:

Leaving now :cheers:

bh4rnnr
04-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Lots of fun today, and lots of rigs! :eek: . Think the finnal count was 38. A few pics, more later. Right now i'm going to bed :beer: .

Edite: moving pics to completed trip report section.

nuclearlemon
04-02-2006, 04:50 AM
4:46am...those of us that were heading home are home now...rigs and all...

Shark Bait
04-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Woo hoo!! :camping: :clap: :clap: :snail: :woot:

Romer
04-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Glad you all made it back.

Seldom Seen
04-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Far Out !!! Hope ya'll were feeling the good JuJu we were sending your way.
Glad every one is out and safe.

Beater
04-02-2006, 04:59 PM

you should have slept in buena vista. Kevin and I had a nice breakfast at around 8am!

Romer
04-02-2006, 05:52 PM
you should have slept in buena vista. Kevin and I had a nice breakfast at around 8am!

Ahhh, so you and Kevin DID get a room like you were talking about :eek:

Hulk
04-03-2006, 01:36 AM
With some good news from the wife... I won't have a buget for this in the forseeable future. !:eek:

Congrats, dude!
:thumb: