PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Recovers Bodies Of Couple Who Drowned In Slot Canyon

Inukshuk
09-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Tragic story from the Utah we all love: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/17448014/detail.html

GARFIELD COUNTY, Utah -- The bodies of a California couple who drowned inside a slot canyon during a flash flood were recovered Thursday morning by a Utah Highway Patrol helicopter.

Kathy Chapple and her husband, Gordon Chapple, from Walnut Creek, Calif., were hiking with six others at the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument when a flash flood hit the Egypt Trailhead area at about 2:30 p.m., said the Garfield County Sheriff's Office.

"It was maybe two or three minutes from when the rain started to fall and when they were hit by the water. It was so fast they hardly had any time to react at all," said Becki Bronson, spokeswoman for the Garfield County Sheriff's Office

The two guides, the Chapples' son and daughter, and the two other hikers in the group were able to cling to the side of the rock and crawl out because it was wide enough and the water was slow enough in that area to make that possible ......

subzali
09-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Wow. I've gone backpacking just a few miles down the road from there several times. It's truly scary how fast and how severe that kind of stuff can happen out there.

:(

farnhamstj
09-12-2008, 11:39 PM
2 or 3 minutes, that's scary fast. At least they went fast and doing something they enjoyed, or at least I hope. Best wishes to their family and friends.

RockRunner
09-14-2008, 09:56 AM
X2, I can't believe how fast that happened. That is something to store in the memory bank, I never think it could that fast.