PDA

View Full Version : Control arm bushings - FZJ80

treerootCO
09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Is there any trick to keeping the bushings in place? Looked under the rig this morning and the driver's side control arm has moved passenger enough that it has been digging into the axle housing brackets. Both bushings are about 1/2" exposed now.

Uncle Ben
09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
The bushings should not move! maybe try staking the edge of the control arm after you slide the bushing back.

60wag
09-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Yellow or blue bushings? You might try some Loctite sleeve retainer to glue them in place.

treerootCO
09-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Blue ones

Tch2fly
09-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Did the inside of the bushing opening get powdercoated? Might not have enough grip if it did.
In that case x2 on the Loctite.

nuclearlemon
09-12-2008, 01:31 PM
aren't the bushings supposed to get pressed in? that means they should be pretty dang tight.:confused:

waggoner5
09-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Thats strange. We did press them in and they were pretty tight. I would center them and stake as Kevin suggests. If it still happens we will make the seller warranty them :)

nakman
09-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm wondering if you shouldn't try to shorten your panhard rod a little.. are you getting any frame rubbing on either side under mad flex? It looks like your axle is being forced over towards the passenger side, and that's why your bushings are sticking out on the DS. You might be able to move them back to center with it all still in place, if you can get the right puller around the U-channel of the axle.. then either stake it like UB suggests, or maybe squirt a little metal onto the control arm that will act like a little stop? It's not bad as it sits though, and can't get any worse since the control arm is right up against the U-channel of the axle. But it should all be centered while at rest, so I wonder if your axle could stand to slide over a skoch.

Bikeman
09-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Pardon my statement, and with all due respect, but staking the arms is not the proper solution or fix considering the cost of the arms, bushings, labor, etc.

It takes so little force to center the axle (I've done it twice this week with a small rachet strap), that I doubt the parts have the correct tolerances. I will be buying these arms soon, so I am not knocking them nor his price.

Uncle Ben
09-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Pardon my statement, and with all due respect, but staking the arms is not the proper solution or fix considering the cost of the arms, bushings, labor, etc.

It takes so little force to center the axle (I've done it twice this week with a small rachet strap), that I doubt the parts have the correct tolerances. I will be buying these arms soon, so I am not knocking them nor his price.

Stakes done properly are easily repaired. I have the billet arms too and would not have any resistance to stake them if my bushings were moving. The fact is CA bushings are interference fit and should not be moving without considerable force so why are they?

treerootCO
09-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Nakman was stalking me yesterday and took a look at the truck during lunch. :D

I think he is right, the panhard rod must not have been set correctly by me:o The axle appears to be about 2" passenger when compared with the driver side. As Nakman pointed out, the control arms are fixed in the rear so any deviation from center would stress the bushings up front. The fact that there are two bolts in the front really compounds the issue.

Nay
09-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Nakman was stalking me yesterday and took a look at the truck during lunch. :D

I think he is right, the panhard rod must not have been set correctly by me:o The axle appears to be about 2" passenger when compared with the driver side. As Nakman pointed out, the control arms are fixed in the rear so any deviation from center would stress the bushings up front. The fact that there are two bolts in the front really compounds the issue.

There is still no way those press fit bushings should be moving - that off center stress on a long radius arm is hardly enough to deflect the bushing material.

If they are moving like this now, wait until you get them offroad. Those bushings take huge force in limiting the 80's front end flex.

Beater
09-15-2008, 07:18 AM
yep - and go back to rubbers

FJBen
09-15-2008, 08:31 AM
So you are running the SLee 4" with control arms correct?

treerootCO
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
I am running the 4" coils with the 6" control arms

sleeoffroad
09-15-2008, 01:20 PM
The bushings should not move. Only time we see that is when people re-use old bushings. Maybe it was that apprentice that did the install. :)

Drop by the shop and we will see what we can do.

PS, back from the fastest night run on the Rubicon. Ever strapped a truck out on Cadillac hill that broke a rear output shaft, at night ? No, it wasn't mine.

Uncle Ben
09-15-2008, 01:37 PM
The bushings should not move. Only time we see that is when people re-use old bushings. Maybe it was that apprentice that did the install. :)

Drop by the shop and we will see what we can do.

PS, back from the fastest night run on the Rubicon. Ever strapped a truck out on Cadillac hill that broke a rear output shaft, at night ? No, it wasn't mine.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/images/smilies/worthless_without_pics.gif

sleeoffroad
09-15-2008, 02:42 PM
It was dark :D

Uncle Ben
09-15-2008, 02:52 PM
It was dark :D

Bull Puckey! I happen to know who you rode with and none of them boys could function without the light of the sun in rock lighting! :p: ;)

sleeoffroad
09-15-2008, 03:06 PM
It was full moon and the brandy was empty. How do you think I could take pictures. :D

Here is how it went.

Friday 11pm - go in at Loon Lake - 3am arrive Little Sluice.
Sat wake up, screw around in Little Sluice, trash a couple of drive shafts, fix that, wheel to Rubicon Springs. Arrive 6pm, attend Marlin Crawler Round-up and dinner/raffle. 11pm start wheeling back to Buck Island for camping to beat the rush of 200 mini trucks, 1/2 way up big sluice blow the back output shaft on a 4runner transfer case. No parts to fix, strap it back to the springs, then decide to strap it out on Cadillac so that we don't block the trail in the morning. That is the short way out, right, arrive at staging area at 4.30 am after thinking we were lost on the exit. It just took way to long and I remembered it way shorter.

Then spent the rest of the day shuttling trucks and trailers between Loon and the Tahoe exit.

Uncle Ben
09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
It was full moon and the brandy was empty. How do you think I could take pictures. :D

OK your off the hook then....should have said that in the first place! :lmao:

Now back to defective parts.... :eek: :bolt:

sleeoffroad
09-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Here's a pic for you. :D

Uncle Ben
09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Here's a pic for you. :D

Is that the front or the back? I know that can't be Ben as the cage is up and the tires are down. :p: ;) :lmao: Then again I guess that could be a picture of Raisin on the trailer.... :bolt: :lmao: