PDA

View Full Version : Removing Broken Rear Axle Stub

Shark Bait
09-12-2008, 11:23 PM
I think I'm going to try and fix the broken rear axle in my 40 this weekend. How hard is it to get the broken stub out of the ARB locker and housing?

Rzeppa
09-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Never done it with an ARB, but once the 3rd member is out of the housing and sitting on your bench it shouldn't be too hard. I assume it broke at the splines?

Curious, how'd you break it? There must be a campfire story there :-)

Uncle Ben
09-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Easiest way I have found if you can't slide it out with a magnet or simply sliding something in from the other side is a rod of all thread or solid rod, a car battery w/jumper cables (or old arc welder) and a section of garden hose or heater hose. Insulate the rod with the hose. Hook the positive side of the welder or battery to the housing and the negative side to the rod. Slide it through the axle tube and quickly(and carefully) touch it to the broken stub. Very quickly disconnect the cable from the rod. You should now have a great handle to be able to pull the stub free of it's confinement! Awesome and easy trail fix too but DAMHIK not to use a coat hanger for the rod! :rolleyes: ;)

Uncle Ben
09-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Never done it with an ARB, but once the 3rd member is out of the housing and sitting on your bench it shouldn't be too hard. I assume it broke at the splines?

Curious, how'd you break it? There must be a campfire story there :-)

Hmmmm....didn't read where the chunk was already out of the housing. :confused:

Shark Bait
09-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys. I was planning on leaving the 3rd member in, if possible.

I got side tracked on another project, so I might not get to it today. :( I'll let you know how it goes.

Uncle Ben
09-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys. I was planning on leaving the 3rd member in, if possible.

You should be able to. One thing to be very cautious of is that when axles break they shatter so you might have some very hard and destructive floaters hiding in your housing/diff which will eat it alive! You might not want to take the risk!