PDA

View Full Version : Got wood??? The new Stihl 310 ROCKS!!!

RockRunner
09-16-2008, 11:04 AM
This is only the first load, we have to go back this weekend to get more also the reason I can't make China man's (So bummed):(

One of our friends cuts for a living so he loaded up the trailer with trees they cut last spring. He would grab two at a time place them on the trailer, we would cut the top half of and if large enough he would put those on too. We brought back nearly 400 linear feet of wood plus the bed was loaded with smaller pieces.:eek:

I got to use my new chainsaw for the first time for an extended period of time. I used it before to see how it worked but this was the real deal. I cut from 9:30 am til 12:30 pm straight with only three breaks to fill the gas and oil in the saw. Adjusted the new chain once and never looked back. If anyone is looking for a good saw I give this one very high marks.:thumb:

Take a look at the end result, about 2.5 cords of wood that still need splitting. This weekend we will get about the same amount so we should be good to go this winter.:campfire:

PS we pick up any "trash" wood people toss out on the fields nearby, we either use it or burn it. in this case the funky colored side rails were found on the field with about 15 5' 2x6 redwood steps, people are idiots. when we walk the dogs we just load up the wood that the home builders leave behind or our lovely neighbors toss, great starter wood. We also cut up our old fence for stater wood :D

PSS Buca had to supervise us to make sure we were being save.

RockRunner
09-16-2008, 11:08 AM
This is what we had left from last year, we started with 3 cords and found some wood this summer that we added. You can see the steps I cut up with some of the bad 2x4's I found.

MDH33
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Looks like fun. I might have to step up to a bigger saw soon too, so thanks for the review of the 310.

Looks like you got a big load of beetle kill there. Are you certain the beetles are out of it? Wouldn't want to bring wood full of live beetles into your 'hood.

Cheese
09-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Gotta put in the plug for PPE, always chaps, muffs and eyes when cutting on a deck. Helmet if falling or anyone on the cut is falling.

Glad you like the saw, good looking load of warmth there.

RockRunner
09-17-2008, 12:44 PM
This wood is a year old. The beetles die when the tree dies so no worries on that plus they don't like our trees anyway ;-)

LMK if you want info on the saw, it rocks! just make sure you don't get one with a safety chain.

RockRunner
09-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Cheese, I was actually wearing some double layered pants. Not as good as chaps but much better than jeans. Also I did have ear protection/eyes just no helmet............then again if I were to fall I am sure it would only help.:rolleyes:

You are right on with the warmth, the best way to heat a house in my opinion:thumb:

Cheese
09-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I mean do felling, like tree cutting down. Not falling, like trip and fall down.

I have a 440 and a 660, both spent a lot of time with beetle kill this summer. There is no shortage of warmth on the mountains up there.

Chaps stop the chain by gumming it up with little strands, not actually stopping the cut. Good on ya for eyes and ears.

Be safe, not trying to be a wise guy.

RockRunner
09-17-2008, 03:48 PM
No worries, I did misunderstand but than again that is usual. I will most likely get some chaps working on it. The wood up there is crazy, we'll be getting more this weekend.