PDA

View Full Version : Audio equipment/electronics repair

treerootCO
09-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Being the dumb*** that I am, I let the smoke out of my Carver. Can anyone recommend a repair shop in town? I used to go to Listen Up but their repair place isn't there anymore. Even better would be if someone knew enough to fix it in the club. The money I would have spent can go towards buying Cruiser or Mini Truck parts for yourself instead of the repair shop.

Carver TFM-45

Uncle Ben
09-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Do you need someone to just put the smoke back in or better yet someone to let more smoke out? :confused:

treerootCO
09-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Do you need someone to just put the smoke back in or better yet someone to let more smoke out? :confused:

I need to put the smoke back in.

I'll edit my post above to say Cruiser and Mini Truck parts ;)

RockRunner
09-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Sorry I can only release the smoke or create more smoke, I do need more "Mini Parts" :D

Sorry for the loss.:(

nakman
09-17-2008, 09:47 AM
the Rocky Mountain Audio fest is coming, looks like October 10-12. Probably more there than one could ever learn about high end audio http://audiofest.net/2008/index.php

AxleIke
09-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Perhaps, but first things first,

I have absolutely no idea what "smoke" and electronics have to do with each other, except that when you "smoke" something, its a bad thing. Can someone explain "putting the smoke back in" to a newb?

I have a modest knowledge of electronics. If I knew what the issue was, I may be able to help, but hard to say.

Uncle Ben
09-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Perhaps, but first things first,

I have absolutely no idea what "smoke" and electronics have to do with each other, except that when you "smoke" something, its a bad thing. Can someone explain "putting the smoke back in" to a newb?

I have a modest knowledge of electronics. If I knew what the issue was, I may be able to help, but hard to say.

You sir are way too serious! Like you referred to, smoke and electronics are not a good thing. Root needs something repaired. Then again maybe Root was smoking something when his Carver broke......either way smoke should not have been involved! ;) :lmao:

treerootCO
09-17-2008, 10:25 AM
All electronics run on smoke. If you let it out, they stop working.

My curio cabinet had a made in China moment and collapsed. All of the glass shelves cascaded down until all of the electronics were resting at the bottom with a sheet of glass sandwiched between. Without airflow, the Carver met it's demise. I need to replace a few transistors but need to know how to diagnose good ones vs. bad ones.

NPN or PNP IC like the one pictured in the lower right. Collector Emitter Base readings and such...

Beater
09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
call me sometime - I have a lead

do you need to borrow a pre-amp?