PDA

View Full Version : Red snow!

Uncle Ben
02-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Went snowboarding with daughter #2 and a couple of her friends yesterday at WP/MJ. Very nice day and lots warmer then down here for sure! The weird thing was the snow everywhere was pink or reddish brown! The color was deep too! Looks like the dirty snow from snowplows but in a pink shade. Talked to others on the lifts and everyone was shocked and curious but no one knew why. Came home last night and mentioned it to the wife. She said she had just heard on the news that it's fall out particulate from 100mph winds accross the Pink Desert in AZ last week! Wild! Thought I would share... I've searched looking for details but so far nadda.... :confused:

nuclearlemon
02-18-2006, 02:14 PM
hhhmmm.....i was thinking of dead bunnies....red snow in idaho and johnny b

matt might know what i'm talking about :D i'll give him a bit to speak up before i tell ya what i'm talking about.

Seldom Seen
02-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Up in the high country of RMNP, in the spring, it's not unusual to find pink or watermelon colored snow. Not form dust but a form of algae that grows in snow. Reportedly its has hallucinogenic properties. :boozer:

bh4rnnr
02-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Sure rub it in that you got to go Snowboarding......... Jerk :hill: :beer:

IanB
02-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Neat. I would have guessed it was the algae as I have seen that too, but it does not cover all the snow.

wesintl
02-18-2006, 05:54 PM
That's interesting... Do you have any pics? ;) We need pics this is the internet :ranger: :D

Red snow :lmao :lmao

Uncle Ben
02-18-2006, 06:01 PM
That's interesting... Do you have any pics? ;) We need pics this is the internet :ranger: :D

Why would I have a picture? I was snowboarding not arm chair virtual wheeling. :ranger: :p

Uncle Ben
02-18-2006, 06:04 PM

BTW ....Red Fricking Snow.... (http://kusa.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=79cd6aa6-0abe-421a-01da-b41b2a5ce042&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf)

:flipoff: :rant: :boozer:

Uncle Ben
02-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Sure rub it in that you got to go Snowboarding......... Jerk :hill: :beer:

Perry, quit :rant: and "just do it!" :fing:
:cool: :p :drink:

Uncle Ben
02-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Up in the high country of RMNP, in the spring, it's not unusual to find pink or watermelon colored snow. Not form dust but a form of algae that grows in snow. Reportedly its has hallucinogenic properties. :boozer:

When I first started snooping for confirmation last night on what the :Princess: said she heard thats what I kept finding. But that is only in patches not the whole frickin' mountain. :eek: :cheers:

subzali
02-18-2006, 07:26 PM
I heard the same thing starting Thursday night. This was at Loveland, it sounded pretty weird, but I figgered it was from a volcano eruption or something cool :hill:

JadeRunner
02-18-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm up in winter park tonight and skiied today. It's all over and I'm sure it's taking the wax off our boards.

Hulk
02-19-2006, 12:52 PM
I was at Copper Mountain on Thursday and saw some of this. It almost looked like that late season snow, where it has melted and frozen over and over, and kind of mixes in with the soil below. My wife and I were wondering about it. now we know!

Hulk
02-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Sure rub it in that you got to go Snowboarding......... Jerk
Perry, I have a season pass at Copper. If you can take off a Thursday, I can get you a $20 lift ticket for the day.

Uncle Ben
02-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Perry, I have a season pass at Copper. If you can take off a Thursday, I can get you a $20 lift ticket for the day.

Good point Matt!

As season pass holders we often can log in to the web site and download discount coupons. If someone is interested post it up and we (Matt, Robbie, me) can check and probably set you up. Robbie and I both have Super Passes (Winter Park/Mary Jane, Copper) Also, as Matt stated if your dying to go post it up and maybe you can twist one our arms to go too and get you in lots cheaper. :cheers:

EDIT: Just checked the website.....no coupons right now...sorry!

bh4rnnr
02-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Good point Matt!

As season pass holders we often can log in to the web site and download discount coupons. If someone is interested post it up and we (Matt, Robbie, me) can check and probably set you up. Robbie and I both have Super Passes (Winter Park/Mary Jane, Copper) Also, as Matt stated if your dying to go post it up and maybe you can twist one our arms to go too and get you in lots cheaper. :cheers:

I'm planning to be in Vail in a few weekends, think you could get me a ticket :confused: :hill: . My friend Greg's gonna see if he can get me a ticket. If my friend "shorty" would ever answer the phone, I might be able to get one from him as he is lifty. Maybe i'll just beat up Farnham and take his :D Thanks for the offer Matt, if there is a thursday I do not have to work i'll let you know :fing: :beer:

Uncle Ben
02-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm planning to be in Vail in a few weekends, think you could get me a ticket :confused: :hill: . My friend Greg's gonna see if he can get me a ticket. If my friend "shorty" would ever answer the phone, I might be able to get one from him as he is lifty. Maybe i'll just beat up Farnham and take his :D Thanks for the offer Matt, if there is a thursday I do not have to work i'll let you know :fing: :beer:

Sorry Perry but Vail IMHO is not two times better than WP,COP, MJ but it is more than twice the price (comparing with discounts). No wonder you can't ski much. Heck, three lift tickets to Vail will buy you a Superpass! Working at Lexus is giving you some "Blue Blood" my friend! :eek: :cheers: :hill:

bh4rnnr
02-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Sorry Perry but Vail IMHO is not two times better than WP,COP, MJ but it is more than twice the price (comparing with discounts). No wonder you can't ski much. Heck, three lift tickets to Vail will buy you a Superpass! Working at Lexus is giving you some "Blue Blood" my friend! :eek: :cheers: :hill:

Hey, that's all right. Everybody has there mountain town. Vail is mine. When I did snowboard :rolleyes: , remember that there was nothing more I loved than hitting the back bowls of Vail on a fresh porwder day :bowdown: :bowdown:. Hope to bring the camera if i'm able to get a ticket when i'm up there. :beer: :beer:

wesintl
02-19-2006, 08:41 PM
They had it on the news again... Apparantly it happens more than we think but not that often.

Yes, I did see pics

gr8fulabe
02-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey,
"watermelon" snow as they call it also supposedly tatses sweet like watermelon. but, don't eat it. I have never heard about Halluceneginic properties, but it will cause extreme diarehha.