PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Wheel Spacer

Rogue Leader
09-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Long story short, did a brake job on a friends accord and over tightened 2 lug nuts. when he tried to remove them they snapped the lug bolt off. I removed the wheel and started into the spacer and one of those bolts stripped. Any ideas on how to remove a recessed bolt? I tried to dremel it down to fit a smaller socket but that didn't work. Weld on a nut to the face of the bolt?

Uncle Ben
09-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Long story short, did a brake job on a friends accord and over tightened 2 lug nuts. when he tried to remove them they snapped the lug bolt off. I removed the wheel and started into the spacer and one of those bolts stripped. Any ideas on how to remove a recessed bolt? I tried to dremel it down to fit a smaller socket but that didn't work. Weld on a nut to the face of the bolt?

Sacrifice a cheap socket that is a tad too small. Drive it on the bolt with a BFH then with luck it will come out. Welding a nut on it might work if you can get to it good enough to get a good stitch or two on it.

leiniesred
09-18-2008, 08:30 AM
vice grips on the remaining threaded side of the bolt. Unscrew it until you are close, then hack saw off the part you boogered up with the channel locks. Move vice grips to the regular bolt end and finish unscrewing it from the spacer.

Rzeppa
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Heating the areas around the bolt can help expand the female threads so it can turn easier.