PDA

View Full Version : Elk Today

Maddmatt
09-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Typical Colorado day today, went up to RMNP.

Video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLSGGuvIQSQ

edit: The story in the video is that we got to watch while the wiley old veteran called a cow away from a harem run by a much younger bull.
Pics below.
-Matt

calphi27
09-19-2008, 08:05 PM
just got back from muzzleloading near red feather. we called in a few and bagged a 6x6 bull.

did they say that the RMNP bulls were rutting yet?

Corbet
09-20-2008, 12:08 AM
I passed a pair of young females on my way to work today.

Maddmatt
09-20-2008, 09:44 AM
just got back from muzzleloading near red feather. we called in a few and bagged a 6x6 bull.

I didn't ask - the bulls were definitely keeping a close eye on the cows though

cbmontgo
09-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Good pics. That place is awesome this time of year.

Uncle Ben
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM

Nice score! Congratulations!!!

Red_Chili
09-22-2008, 11:04 AM
My right index finger keeps hhhhhhhhhhitting the key because it is twitchhhhing.

nakman
09-22-2008, 11:14 AM
My right index finger keeps hhhhhhhhhhitting the key because it is twitchhhhing.

For the sake of discussion, pretend I know nothing about hunting. But say I had a license to shoot an elk, or deer, or whatever.. could I just plunk one off the deck of my house? Or do you have to go to a "designated" hunting site to do your actual hunting?

Uncle Ben
09-22-2008, 11:20 AM
For the sake of discussion, pretend I know nothing about hunting. But say I had a license to shoot an elk, or deer, or whatever.. could I just plunk one off the deck of my house? Or do you have to go to a "designated" hunting site to do your actual hunting?

The area around you is all private property. If Private Land only tags are available you could hunt any property up there with the owners permission. I'm not sure if nuisance tags are available to you. Of course things like neighborhood covenants and county regulations are the first hurdle. After you determine that the county or neighborhood doesn't care then figure out what GMU (Game Management Unit) you are and see what's available.

Red_Chili
09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
And get someone to mentor you on what to do with that whale once you beach it!!! :lmao:

I had dressed 'big' game before (antelope), so my first elk was real familiar. How much of the familiar I had to wade through... not so much! OhmygoshthisthingisHUGEwhatdoIdonow?
:lmao: :lmao:

But seriously, you do need to know what to do and how to do it to not spoil the meat. IIRC wasting game is a federal offense, no? The fine is stiff though, whatever it is. Besides, it is just wrong. And taking a hunter's safety class comes first, of course. You will learn a lot. Great experience, especially the one taught on Lockheed-Martin's range. Just ask for help; any thinking hunter will be glad to help you - I say 'thinking' because the next generation's hunter numbers are not near what they need to be to maintain the herds properly!!

Hint: walk into a Sportsman's Warehouse, walk up to the gun counter, and tell them you want to learn to hunt but have no idea, and could they help you get started?

Hint two: show up at a Ben Lomond Gun Club (www.blgc.org) meeting and ask the same.

nakman
09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't even consider wasting it, that is just wrong, I'd want to eat the sucker. Or at least part of it.. but was just curious since I have elk & deer just about every day if you could do it from your own private land. Though I suspect most the fun of hunting is just going camping anyway, right? So why mess with that.

Continue with the elk are beautiful discussion... :)

Red_Chili
09-22-2008, 02:49 PM
'Nuther link:
http://www.blgc.org/training.html
Well, the camping is part of the fun. Frankly though, I am down to business when afield. And the precision of distance marksmanship is part of the real coolness factor; I have taken no antelope less than 300 yards (though I managed to sneak up on a doe within 20 feet - with buck tag of course - without knowing it... fun story). Usually with a stiff crosswind, and often on the move. Challenging conditions.

Elk hunting is a bunch more work, and I admire people like Jaderunner a lot who pack in, and pack out with a 5x5 bull on their back. I ain't up to that. Brant Wobig, the Clear Creek ranger we work with, does all that - only with a bow.

By 'wasting', I mean ruining or abandoning. One fella (new hunter, a doctor even) showed up at the butcher's with a beautiful 6x6 bull elk - that had not been properly field dressed at all (IIRC, not even cooled!). The butcher talked to the guy long enough for the game warden, who had been called, to show up. Yep. $1K fine plus other penalties. They were real nice about it but the fella learned a hard lesson.

Tell ya what though, Tim, if your area is fine with discharge of firearms, I'll be happy to help with your elk and deer issue... Halvsies on the meat, and I'll do all the work and show you how. Including butchering and freezing. Beginning with hand loading if you like.
;)

Uncle Ben
09-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Yup.....the easiest thing with any hunt is pulling the trigger. The prep before hand and the work afterwards are the deal breaker usually in deciding if pulling that trigger is worth it! :cool:

nakman
09-22-2008, 03:24 PM
We don't exactly have an "issue," they don't really bother us in fact we like having them around. I don't care that they eat the flowers & poop everywhere, they've been here longer than I have and I'd probably cry if I saw one go down. Mainly just curious if you "could" do it...

Uncle Ben
09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
We don't exactly have an "issue," they don't really bother us in fact we like having them around. I don't care that they eat the flowers & poop everywhere, they've been here longer than I have and I'd probably cry if I saw one go down. Mainly just curious if you "could" do it...

I totally understand! I love to just watch....they are truly majestic animals! A friend of my wife up near Carter Lake actually did apply for a Nuesance tag. Twice that paticular season many of the resident herd would gather on their large wrap around porch! They got tired of replacing deck planks and wicker furniture! I once had an old pic of about 30 Elk on and around their deck that she sent my wife....let me see if I or Lori still have it somewhere....

Red_Chili
09-23-2008, 07:58 AM
No ethical hunter takes the death of his prey lightly. It is bittersweet. A deep experience. Life is sacred. The animal should be treated with honor before and after the kill. That is why the ethical hunter takes pains to be accurate. Native Americans would offer thanks to the animal for yielding its spirit to sustain them. They were in relationship with them.
We are as much predator as the wolf or coyote or mountain lion. And elk properly prepared is the queen of meats!

Nick F.
09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
And elk properly prepared is the queen of meats!

Alright, I'll bite. Whats the king?

Red_Chili
09-23-2008, 08:54 AM
He was assassinated. :p:

JadeRunner
09-23-2008, 11:46 AM

Well Tim your only hope to harvest an animal on your property would be with a bow in Sept. That would be cool. You should check with the local authorities on that like UB said. My guess is you can't. Too many locals would be flinging arrows around. Other than that there are legal rifle areas west of Evergreen but I believe it takes at least 4 years of points to get a license plus a private property connection. I heard shots in rifle season from my past home in Troutdale 2 years ago. Probably fired off within about 3 miles from the Safeway.

JadeRunner
09-23-2008, 11:50 AM

Way to go!

I backpacked into one of our spots in the La Garita Wilderness area this weekend. Only outfitters with clients on horses hunt this area. No backpackers like me. It started off slow but the second morning in the high meadow 7 miles in I got into a group with a heard bull and a 5x5 satellite bull. The 5x5 came in on me real close. He snuck in behind me to about 10 yards. I got some great footage of it all. I will edit it down and post a video. Good fun.

Not sure, but it seems like the rut is starting a little late this year. Iím taking my tube with me 1st season rifle Oct. 11th just to be safe. Were going to our Glenwood area again.

Red_Chili
09-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Sounds awesome. Also makes my knees hurt just to think about it. I'm gonna have to address that I guess... :(