PDA

View Full Version : What kind of spider is this, Thread #2

Corbet
09-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok, this is an easy one. I just caught her on my patio door while letting Porter out for his evening duties. Sorry Gatorade bottle was the only thing handy.

corsair23
09-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Wowzers she is a big one :eek:

Nick F.
09-20-2008, 11:16 PM
I've seen a couple this year. Last weekend I took the wife and kid to a park in evergreen and we were siting on a bench in the woods. My wife said "hey come look at this" and I said "what, that black widow? after the yelp. she hadn't even seen it but was pointing to something next to it. I also made the mistake one time of catching one in the garage and bringing it in to show the wife. Won't do that again:D

cbmontgo
09-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Yuck...I hate those things.

Inukshuk
09-21-2008, 10:10 AM
I looked up from the couch last night to see this little friend about three feet up the wall. :eek: :eek: :eek: I have never seen one before. :thumb: :thumb:

Azrael
09-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeeps. I think I'm going to spray my perimeter again today. I know every one of my pets would try to play with those if they got in the house.

Dora
09-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I've seen a couple this year. Last weekend I took the wife and kid to a park in evergreen and we were siting on a bench in the woods. My wife said "hey come look at this" and I said "what, that black widow? after the yelp. she hadn't even seen it but was pointing to something next to it. I also made the mistake one time of catching one in the garage and bringing it in to show the wife. Won't do that again:D

Let me tell you, I wasn't happy either when I came home and saw the black widow in a juice bottle on our kitchen counter. I think Corbet learned his lesson not to capture one again or at least not to bring it into the house. I can't even sleep after watching bugs, snakes, and spiders on TV. He now proved I can't sleep when he brings one into the house. It definitely made me more aware of our surroundings. Kinda like that bear that crawled into my car our first night in the house. Or even the yellow-jackets that invested our bedroom wall and had to call the bee man to come out and kill them. Now there is a big hole in our bedroom wall that Corbet is now patching up. I also second spraying around our house because our dogs like to eat bugs too! ~Marianne

Uncle Ben
09-21-2008, 07:50 PM
I looked up from the couch last night to see this little friend about three feet up the wall. :eek: :eek: :eek: I have never seen one before. :thumb: :thumb:

You ain't looking hard enough! Black Widows are everywhere in Colorado!
That is a cool Wolf spider! They make great pets and they can get huge on grass hopper diets!

timmbuck2
09-22-2008, 08:51 AM
wasn't too freaked when I found a black widow in the kitchen a few months ago....was more freaked when I was sitting out front feeding the newborn and a black widow was walking along the edge of my chair...

Uncle Ben
09-22-2008, 09:10 AM
wasn't too freaked when I found a black widow in the kitchen a few months ago....was more freaked when I was sitting out front feeding the newborn and a black widow was walking along the edge of my chair...

Which is very unusual! BW's are very shy and non-aggressive, seriously! They like to be undisturbed.

timmbuck2
09-22-2008, 09:35 AM
...They like to be undisturbed.

So do I!!! :D

Red_Chili
09-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Too late for me then, I'm already disturbed.

Uncle Ben
09-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Too late for me then, I'm already disturbed.

That is quotable! ;) :hill:

thenimirra
09-26-2008, 04:35 PM
OMG! I hate spiders...I can handle snakes but not spiders. Damn...that's scary!

rover67
09-26-2008, 04:47 PM
You ain't looking hard enough! Black Widows are everywhere in Colorado!
That is a cool Wolf spider! They make great pets and they can get huge on grass hopper diets!

we had a wolf spider that took up residence near a flood light ouside of the garage at my last place. Every night we'd work on the cars, drink a little beer, and feed the thing a bug or two. It was pretty cool tossing a litle bug in the web and watchign the spider instantly attack it and cocoon it.

that thing was pretty huge after a while...

good eatin'

Hulk
09-26-2008, 05:38 PM
That is quotable! ;) :hill:

I'm on it!