PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Used Tom Woods DS?

rover67
09-23-2008, 10:11 AM
http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Just curious. I am tempted to use these guys to build me a front DC shaft. I have used Boulder Driveline but want to try somebody new.

Uncle Ben
09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Just curious. I am tempted to use these guys to build me a front DC shaft. I have used Boulder Driveline but want to try somebody new.

Yessir! TW is a master! Nice guy to boot! The drive shafts on my 40 have been Woody's for quite some time. Call him up, tell him what you want, answer all his questions and get a heavy round carboard tube in a short time after. If there is any issue he will take care of it.

Jacket
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
They are pretty popular in the Tacoma world for guys wanting to eliminate the split DS with carrier bearing, and go with a single rear DS. Some argue that it eliminates the vibrations associated with lifting the truck.

Red_Chili
09-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Eliminating the center carrier was popular since '89 with the XtraCab. It reportedly works well. You have to realign the rear pinion but using steel shims from www.4Crawler.com makes that easy.

rover67
09-23-2008, 05:11 PM
I need one to replace my non CV front shaft. The pinion points straight at the transfer case and I think it is the source of a lot of vibration on the Hwy when in 4wd. The Tom Woods thing seems nice because I don't even have to drive anywhwere and it shows up at my doorstep free (free shipping).

I am going to pull the front shaft and measure it up tonight... order a new one tomorrow. I may go with slightly smaller tube than stock since right now at full drop the driveshaft hits the crossmember.

I'll carry my old front as a spare.

Thanks for the input!

subzali
09-23-2008, 05:53 PM
gotta get those OME heavies to sag somehow eh? ;)

rover67
09-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Why do you think I carry so many spares!!!! It rode nice this weekend to the holy cross trail with three people, the dog, spares, co2, bikes, bike stuff, camping stuff, tools, wood, water, and all kinda of other crap. Rode like a damn Caddy.

Beater
09-23-2008, 06:48 PM
my shaft used to be a woody...

Shark Bait
09-23-2008, 07:03 PM
The front drive shaft in mt 40 is a Woody. If you get Toyota Trails please tell him you saw his nice ad. :D

Convert
09-23-2008, 08:16 PM

:lmao::lmao: Too bad dude

cbmontgo
09-23-2008, 09:19 PM
TW drive shafts are nice. Quality stuff.

Rzeppa
09-23-2008, 11:29 PM
When I went to Englewood driveshaft to get mine retubed for my 4 speed conversion, they reported having to redo many, many TW shafts, and that TW was a great source of business for them. No first hand experience with TW, just what I was told by a competitor.

Uncle Ben
09-24-2008, 12:25 AM
When I went to Englewood driveshaft to get mine retubed for my 4 speed conversion, they reported having to redo many, many TW shafts, and that TW was a great source of business for them. No first hand experience with TW, just what I was told by a competitor.

What happens is folks want the "Woody" but they really don't need it. Then they end up getting something that isn't what works for them. If it's stock or similar to stock I buy local. If I need high angle or 10 inch splined shafts .120 wall or thicker I call Tom!

Beater
09-24-2008, 08:06 AM
good point ub

The front on the rover needed to be custom, and no one in town would touch the job, and tom had everything ready to go.
I used rocky mountain driveline to build a new 1350 rear.

rover67
09-24-2008, 09:11 AM
hmm... well mine dosen't need to be *that * custom. I mean, I just want a smaller tube and a CV joint..

Bikeman
09-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I tell ya it might be worth driving all the way down to Englewood. He (Bill) made me 2 killer DC shafts, one a retubed heavy-wall shortened Tacoma shaft, and another scratch built from spicer parts, 1310 ujoints, and heavy-wall tubing. It had grease fittings all over the place, contrary to what most on MUD say regarding using domestic parts. If I need do a DC shaft for the rear, I will use him without question...

wesintl
09-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Alot of south enders have used him (Englewood DS) for Drive shafts. I've had mine retubed and new OEM u joints added. good $ too.

Red_Chili
09-24-2008, 12:57 PM
+1 on Englewood Driveshaft. Hard to find though. Ask for directions.

Ya know, there's a fix for that. Here, lemme forward you some of these emails I've been getting...

Rzeppa
09-24-2008, 06:02 PM
+1 on Englewood Driveshaft. Hard to find though. Ask for directions.

No kidding! Their "storefront" is actually in the alley behind Broadway. I must have driven up and down that block 2 or 3 times before I finally parked and walked around and found them in the alley. The front on Broadway is a surplus store.

Bikeman
09-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Sorry, I am meaning Front Range Driveline in Englewood, 4000 South federal.

Shark Bait
09-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Sorry, I am meaning Front Range Driveline in Englewood, 4000 South federal.

I was NOT happy with Front Range DS. I brought them some flanges for my project 40, gave them some specific instructions and they didn't do what I asked. I left the shaft there and never went back.