PDA

View Full Version : Late Argentine Clean Up Run

Crash
10-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Suz, the dogs and I went up to the east side of Argentine Pass yesterday for the first time in our lives and wound up spending eight hours exploring trails. Day started out clear and sunny and ended in a snow storm - a perfect Colorado day! Went over to the east side of McClellan and Ganley Mtns which appear to get very little four wheel activity. Bikes and ATVs yes, four wheelers no. Call me crazy but it was spectacular until we hit the end of the trail and had to retrace our steps. Argentine was pretty clean with only a little trail cleanup required. Somebody had a runny nose and was throwing out used kleenexs every 1/4 mile or so on the way back down. Eww! A few cans but more glass juice bottles. ????? Both the Rising Sun and COHVCO signs were there and in good shape. Our reward for making the trip was a hawk, seen in the pics, that must have thought the 40th Anniversary's Sage paint was a friendly and camo color as it let us get within 20 feet of it and then proceeded to pose for over ten minutes of gawking and picture taking. It was so cool to be so close to such a beautiful and wild beast. Even the dogs were spellbound and appreciative of the opportunity to get so up close to one of Nature's finest creatures. Truly, a great day on a great trail. I'm glad that Rising Sun has assumed responsibility for maintenance on this trail and Suz and I are already looking forward to the next trip up there. :thumb:

Crash
10-04-2008, 03:18 PM
The colors were simply awesome and we must go back in summer. The top and end of Argentine Trail is pretty rugged and it is obvious where the end of the trail is but the end of the trails at McClellan Mtn were something else altogether. The one picture of the 80 on narrow trail with snow on it is incapable of conveying the pucker factor experienced there. We were above 13,000' and the cross slope was intense making the track seem even narrower. That Sandy the 40th has lockers gave me the confidence to keep moving forward in the snow even though Suz opted to get out and walk. Hindsight says it was both unncessary risk taking and that it was very rewarding to have succeeded in traversing the trail. At three different trail endings, right on the ridge, there were chutes that seemed to go straight down and the trail leading to then was smooth and soft and seemed to invite the unwary to keep on going even though you couldn't see over the hood where the trail went. Even my Squeak-O-Meter went off at all three spots and we got out to check what turned out to be over the point of no return. In one of the pics, if you look very closely, you can see the remains of some poor soul's vehicle waaaay down at the bottom of the chute. These chutes wind up near the road that goes south out of Bakerville and we will be checking that trail out next summer. Probably not too many more days before this entire area is snowed in for the rest of the season. Suprisingly, we saw no big game wildlife. The evidence of mining activity in the area was astounding, however, and if you let your imagination go for a little bit, you could hear the sounds of mining industry and see and smell the smoke that accompanied it well over 100 years ago. Again, both Suzie and I were enthralled with the area and found it difficult to believe that, even though we each have lived in CO for over 35 years and lived so nearby in Summit Co., we haven't ventured to an area that is so close in to Denver. We hope to make up for that oversight in the near future.

RockRunner
10-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a great day, nice pics too. The eagle show must have been awesome, that close and no worries. Nature at its best!

RicardoJM
10-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Steve, you definitely spent Friday in a better place than me;). The pictures are awesome.

subzali
10-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Every time I get up there it makes me want to get back even more. The road leading south out of Bakerville is the trailhead for Grays and Torreys - I've always wanted to check it out in shallow snow conditions; if they don't close the gate in winter.

Good writeup Steve!

I wanted to add: if you do ANY sort of trail cleanup/maintenance, make sure to notify Bill Morgan. We have forms from the forest service that we can fill in the hours for. I'm going to try and get them posted to the website so anybody can access them. Every time anybody goes up Argentine, Jenny Creek, or any trail really (I just mention these because they are our adopt-a-roads), and spends time cleaning the trail, we can count those hours and submit it/them to the Forest Service.

Crash
10-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey Mr. Land Use Coordinator! Eight hours clean up credit each for two humans and I think the dogs deserve a little credit too. Nell cleaned up a few errant sticks and Pearl found a nearly new leather chew bone that some silly dog had left up there for someone else to clean up. I checked, but we don't have any photographic evidence of that though. We are thinking that the hawk was a young Red Tail because of his lack of concern for humans and dogs - it really was incredible how close we got and how long he let us gawk. They don't develop red tail feathers until their second year is how a friend who works at the Birds of Prey Foundation north of Broomfield explained it.
Ricardo, been reading about some of the fun IT has been having lately. Are you working on the CIS project? If you are, oh boy!!

treerootCO
10-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Argentine part 2 ;)

Beautiful this time of year. My mom and I headed up with the Ptarmigan today and found winter is headed this way. Add 8 hours each to the report. We found a few cans here and there but nothing like the first cleanup a few years back. I am sure Steve, Suzie, and the dogs got most of it before we came through but at this moment, you would have a hard time finding anything. :risingsun

treerootCO
10-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Last Wednesday my dad sent me this pic while I was hard at work. The 40 up Argentine!

subzali
10-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Very nice everybody! I will add the hours to the list and send them on to Brant at the Forest Service.

MDH33
10-06-2008, 05:30 PM
awesome! :thumb:

I still haven't been up above Waldorf. Maybe next year. :hill:

nuclearlemon
10-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Last Wednesday my dad sent me this pic while I was hard at work. The 40 up Argentine!

WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! that's the way i like to see "dad's" rig...out doing it's thing!!!:cheers:

bh4rnnr
10-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the pics. This time of year is always a great time to be up on Argentine.

:beer::beer:

subzali
10-07-2008, 09:26 AM
awesome! :thumb:

I still haven't been up above Waldorf. Maybe next year. :hill:

Me either :o