PDA

View Full Version : fj60 Transfer Case--Idiot Move--Looking for Help

CBone
10-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I posted this thread over on Mud, but thought I would embarass myself locally and see if you all have any ideas:

So, there I was changing all the fluids and tuning up my new to me 1985 Fj60. I'm not much of a mechanic and was excited as all about having my new project LC to learn on. Changed the diffs, tranny, and crankcase without a glitch. Feeling good about myself I proceeded to tackle the transfer case, perhaps in a bit of a hurry as the kitchen pass ran out at noon. Putting in my last quart of oil in the tranfer case I accidently let about a 2" piece of plastic tube drop inside. The tube was originally on the end of the quart top, but it slid off. I tried filling the diff, thinking the piece would float to the top and I could somehow get it out--couldn't find it. Then drained it thinking it might come to the bottom--no luck either.

Am I screwed. Are my adventures as a wanna-be mechanic about to end? What have I done and any suggestions on how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
10-05-2008, 03:17 PM
you're toast!!!

no really, try to keep flushing it out by cycling your fluid, even though it's a pain to do.
then maybe try to see if you can hook it somehow thru the drain hole.

not sure if it's really an issue if it's just left in there.

hope it works out for ya :beer:

wesintl
10-05-2008, 03:19 PM
easy.. Take off the pto cover on the side.. you should be able to fish it out. It's only like 6 bolts and it's on the driver side. If you can't find it drain the fluid and fish it out. You can then put the gear oil back in.

congrats on a 60.. pics?

CBone
10-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the ideas. The PTO cover seems to come off pretty easily, so I'll try to fish it out that way. Yeah, I need to get some pics posted, but decided to spend the morning wrenching, as opposed to snapping a few pics or even writing up the minutes from last week's meeting. I'll get around to the pics and the minutes sometime this week.

rover67
10-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Mine's in peices now, if you want to take a look at what it looks like inside. I'd remove the PTO cover and try and get at it.

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I would try to retrieve it from the PTO cover. If you can't get it then don't sweat it as it will not break anything if it gets caught in the cogs. Most likely it will just sit on the bottom of the case indefinitely causing no issues at all. I bet you might be able to see it and get a hold of it with a pick from the drain plug hole too.

corsair23
10-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Metal vs. plastic? I say the metal wins :)

CBone
10-06-2008, 05:55 PM
no concerns with the fluid heating up from the spinning of the gears, causing the plastic to soften and wrap around anything? Of course, I'm gonna try to fish it out, but if I can't find it, from what I'm reading, it may be all right to go ahead and not worry about it.

Hulk
10-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Man, this sounds familiar. I am master of turning a one-hour job into a three-hour job. Good luck!

CBone
10-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks Matt, it's good to know others started out at the lower end of the learning curve as well.

subzali
10-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't think it would get hot enough to melt that plastic. I bet you'll be able to fish it out with the PTO cover off.

Rezarf
10-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Here is a tip I have heard from... uh... another guys troubles... yeah, yeah, another guys mistake! ;)

Use a small mirror and flashlight to get a good look into the case and see if you can see it from the PTO cover access. Aim the light at the mirror then adjust the mirror until you can see where you want to. I use a small dental kind of miorr and I bought a 4x6" mirror at Wally World for these kinds of situations... I mean my friend did.

Don't sweat it, we've all been there... :thumb:

rover67
10-08-2008, 10:55 AM
here's a better one... at 1:30 in the morning last night in my sleepy stupor i dropped the ball detent for 4wd into the hole for the 4WD light switch.

looks like it'll be coming apart again.

poo.

Rezarf
10-08-2008, 12:20 PM
poo...

man that stinks Marco! ;)

rover67
10-08-2008, 07:17 PM
ahh, that's the way it goes i guess :)

treerootCO
10-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Run it:thumb: I ran all sorts of things through my engine, t-case, diffs, and tranny. It's not like you own a J**p. :D

rover67
10-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I tell ya, it is interseting having three people pick up the trany/tcase assembly and try to shake out a ball bearing....

ended up pulling it apart again and getting it out.

nakman
10-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Ok so now that you've established solution time to move on to root cause analysis- you don't need a little piece of tubing. I always use a half full to full quart of gear oil, just squeeze it to squirt the oil in. When it's down to half, switch to another full one. When that's down to half, top it off with the other halfer, then you've got a full one again... repeat as necessary ;)

rover67
10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I echo that Tim. I usually just squirt it in straight from the bottle.

subzali
10-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Or if you can't get it straight from the bottle, buy one of these:

CBone
10-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Yep, the worst part of all of this (other than the fact that I haven't had time to pull the PTO cover off and go fishin' yet) is the fact that I realized I didn't really need that little piece of tubing anyway. Believe me, I've learned!

kvanoort
10-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Holler if you would like some help fishing for the tube.