PDA

View Full Version : OK let's play a little game ....

Tch2fly
10-05-2008, 06:33 PM
.... figure out the busted part. I already know what it is; let's see what you think :D

Background I was replacing my busted birf and resealing the third member. When I pulled the third member this was laying in the bottom of the housing ...
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/cruiser/part.jpg

FYI It is about 2" in diameter

If you know what it is don't spoil it quite yet. I'll wait for some poll responses and tell you the answer and my solution.

subzali
10-05-2008, 07:09 PM
it looks like a seal for the pinion or the axle housing (without the rubber part of the seal) - can't tell the scale. So what's the problem? Put a new one in and drive it... :D

nuclearlemon
10-05-2008, 07:42 PM
ooohhhhhh oooooohhhhh...i know it! i know it! i just don't remember if you absolutely have to have it there or not. i wouldn't think it would have to be there, but would make life much easier.

Hants
10-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I have no idea - but that looks bad :)

bigbluefj
10-05-2008, 08:23 PM
i found the same in my diff, when i installed the ARB but mine was in the axle tube???

Bikeman
10-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I saw it today at Mike's house, NOT replaceable, or at least not accessable very easily.

bigbluefj
10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
what would it be???

nakman
10-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Wait, you broke a birfield? when? how?

subzali
10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Mike broke a birf on Chinaman's a few weeks ago. Seems he has ARB's (?) and this piece must have something to do with the ARB lockers.

powderpig
10-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I know but will allow the game to go on:D:beer:

Rzeppa
10-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, I looked for the emoticon that said this is silly without photos, and couldn't find it. So, oh for two.

You wanna give a hint as to what year/model your front 3rd is and whether it's stock or maybe has something after market in it?

Given that you said birf the would limit year/model to 1968-1997 Land Cruiser, or 1979-1985 mini/runner.

treerootCO
10-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I know what that is, gunna be an interesting weld angle to fix that. :D

60wag
10-06-2008, 05:22 AM
I know what it is. Think of it as an installation aid, not critical to function.

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 07:23 AM
This is fun Mike! Good game! I wanna give a hint so bad but why should I ruin the difficulty factor? Game on...... :popcorn:

Tch2fly
10-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Wait, you broke a birfield? when? how?
Yes, Labor Day weekend, stupidity:hill:

Oh and you need to search your MUD posts from 2003-ish ;)

You wanna give a hint as to what year/model your front 3rd is and whether it's stock or maybe has something after market in it?

Given that you said birf the would limit year/model to 1968-1997 Land Cruiser, or 1979-1985 mini/runner.

I posted pics of the offending part but since that was all I found and had to figure out what the heck it was .... that was all I gave you guys:D

Sorry, thought it would be obvious that it was out of my 80. It has an ARB locker.

bigbluefj
10-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Well the piece i found came out of my 40 that had a aussie locker at the time??? Do i need this??

nuclearlemon
10-06-2008, 08:03 AM
and this piece must have something to do with the ARB lockers.

nope

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Well, I looked for the emoticon that said this is silly without photos, and couldn't find it. So, oh for two.

OK....this is killing me! Jeff, go fish! Has nothing to do with the third member....

nakman
10-06-2008, 09:58 AM

2003? Actually ok, I think I know what you're talking about now.. change my vote then to non-functional, slap it all back together and get on with your life. :D

wesintl
10-06-2008, 10:47 AM
cool thread.

MEH. Put it in the toolbox, be careful with install and roll on.

Tch2fly
10-06-2008, 10:52 AM
.... slap it all back together and get on with your life. :D

Yep, that's the plan, this is my substitute ( I actually think it is a clever "fix") ....

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Yep, that's the plan, this is my substitute ( I actually think it is a clever "fix") ....

Brilliant! ;) :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Tch2fly
10-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Brilliant! ;) :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Thanks, do you know HOW I plan to use it? :D

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks, do you know HOW I plan to use it? :D

Knowing you you prolly plan on putting the part in question back in so I'm guessing you plan on using the heavy pick to pull your way to success?

Tch2fly
10-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Knowing you you prolly plan on putting the part in question back in so I'm guessing you plan on using the heavy pick to pull your way to success?

The ring was bent to heck and what you see is after I beat on it ... still a bit too oval to go back in place so it is in the "parts bin" in case I get motivated down the road.
The pick will be used instead of the offending piece but how?? (that is why I think I'm clever :cool:)

subzali
10-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Is it a spacer for the spider gears? The suspense is killing me, I have no idea what you guys are talking about! :bawl:

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 11:26 AM
The ring was bent to heck and what you see is after I beat on it ... still a bit too oval to go back in place so it is in the "parts bin" in case I get motivated down the road.
The pick will be used instead of the offending piece but how?? (that is why I think I'm clever :cool:)

More clever than I! I have no idea now....

Tch2fly
10-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Is it a spacer for the spider gears? The suspense is killing me, I have no idea what you guys are talking about! :bawl:

Nope, here is a riddle.

You use me but you don't need me and you want me but won't miss me till I'm gone. :lmao:

Tch2fly
10-06-2008, 11:28 AM
More clever than I! I have no idea now....

Hint: I need to remove bolt that holds the brake line on top of the housing .....

Tested and worked :thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Read one of my previous post to answer your question and sit back and ponder my friend. ;) :lmao: Great tread Mike! :cool: :hill:

http://images.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Hint: I need to remove bolt that holds the brake line on top of the housing .....

Tested and worked :thumb:

Ahhhhhhh....got ya! Perfect tool for the job, and yes, very clever!! :thumb::thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Nope, here is a riddle.

You use me but you don't need me and you want me but won't miss me till I'm gone. :lmao:

http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/rotflmao2.gif :thumb::thumb:

subzali
10-06-2008, 12:52 PM
So does this fall in the category of, "gee, where did that _____ go (I still don't know what it is), hopefully it didn't end up in the axle housing. But oh well, I don't want to take that thing back off again, so hopefully it won't cause any issues."?

I can't imagine how if it's not part of the 3rd member (spider gear spacer/bearing is the only thing I know, unless the ARBs have some special item) it would get in there. I don't think it's part of anything else in the front axle, at least looking at the writeup on MUD.

Is it 80-specific?

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 01:09 PM
So does this fall in the category of, "gee, where did that _____ go (I still don't know what it is), hopefully it didn't end up in the axle housing. But oh well, I don't want to take that thing back off again, so hopefully it won't cause any issues."?

I can't imagine how if it's not part of the 3rd member (spider gear spacer/bearing is the only thing I know, unless the ARBs have some special item) it would get in there. I don't think it's part of anything else in the front axle, at least looking at the writeup on MUD.

Is it 80-specific?

http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/rotflmao2.gifhttp://images.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Something else to stir the pot.....It actually serves 2 purposes but neither purpose will effect durability! 60's and 62's have 'em too! http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Angry/twisted.gif

wesintl
10-06-2008, 01:18 PM
It's the doo-hicky that goes in the thing-a-ma-gig to... wait I said too much. ;)

http://www.shehzadonline.com/images/24hrs.jpg

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
It's the doo-hicky that goes in the thing-a-ma-gig to... wait I said too much. ;)

Ya you did! :rant: :hill:

Bikeman
10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
2003? Actually ok, I think I know what you're talking about now.. change my vote then to non-functional, slap it all back together and get on with your life. :D

Not being a jerk here, but easy to say slap that together, when it is the long side axle that is putting all the stress on the new expensive Marlin seal when being slid in, when I'm sure he really doesn't want to open the housing up again.

subzali
10-06-2008, 03:27 PM
:bawl:

I'm convinced it is the right size for an axle shaft or pinion shaft to slide through

Tch2fly
10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
OK we are getting close and I hate to torture Matt much longer. :D

Can you spot the difference? ....
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/RisingSun/frontaxle2.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/RisingSun/frontaxle1.jpg

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 03:36 PM

I'm convinced it is the right size for an axle shaft or pinion shaft to slide through

You are right....both a pinion or an axle could slide through the hole! But what is is? :D :lmao:

powderpig
10-06-2008, 04:00 PM
The alxe should never ride on this, when in motion.

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 04:02 PM
The alxe should never ride on this, when in motion.

I wouldn't let my axle ride on it either! ;) :p: :lmao:

Tch2fly
10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/rotflmao2.gifhttp://images.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Something else to stir the pot.....It actually serves 2 purposes but neither purpose will effect durability! 60's and 62's have 'em too! http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Angry/twisted.gif

My first thought on it's purpose was "function 2" but when I looked on the short side that hole sits 180 deg from the pic.

rover67
10-06-2008, 05:31 PM
can i guess? i think i know..

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 06:22 PM
My first thought on it's purpose was "function 2" but when I looked on the short side that hole sits 180 deg from the pic.

Hmmm....that blows that theory all to heck then dow-nut? :rolleyes:

Tch2fly
10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
can i guess? i think i know..

Go for it:thumb:

Rzeppa
10-06-2008, 06:55 PM

I didn't make any posts on mud in 2003 - in fact I think I didn't join until around 2005.

I posted pics of the offending part but since that was all I found and had to figure out what the heck it was .... that was all I gave you guys:D Okay, I saw the image that Kevin posted, and I do not recognize that part. I have worked on 80 fronts with factory lockers, and without, but not 80 fronts with ARBs. So, I'll just get out the popcorn and get edumacated ;-)

Tch2fly
10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I didn't make any posts on mud in 2003 - in fact I think I didn't join until around 2005. That was meant for Nakman. He posted in a thread on MUD abou this same issue in 2003

Okay, I saw the image that Kevin posted, and I do not recognize that part. I have worked on 80 fronts with factory lockers, and without, but not 80 fronts with ARBs. So, I'll just get out the popcorn and get edumacated ;-)

Odd that you can't see the pic I put in my first post but Kevin used a closeup from my original. (hmmm maybe because I link from photobucket not our forum?? How about the cutaway image in my post on the previous page??)

Not related to the ARB in anyway.

nuclearlemon
10-06-2008, 07:20 PM
when you link from photo galleries, i can't see the pics at work, and i could see yours?

Rzeppa
10-06-2008, 08:33 PM
I have photobucket adblocked - that would explain why I saw Kevin's and not yours. Anyway, I do not recognize the part, so I'll sit back and learn :-)

Happy cruisin'!

Bikeman
10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Got it: slinger, oil; teq ref #001-VH-0U812, Araco sub: #002-VH-5150.:thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Got it: slinger, oil; teq ref #001-VH-0U812, Araco sub: #002-VH5150.:thumb:

Got to love them Eddie edition parts! ;) :hill:

Tch2fly
10-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Got it: slinger, oil; teq ref #001-VH-0U812, Araco sub: #002-VH-5150.:thumb:
:confused:not sure what that number is for:confused:
According to the CDan the ring is not available as a separate part ... it comes with the housing.

Below is a pic that shows the part I found in it's proper place. It is an "index ring" and sits about 1" inboard of the inner axle seal and as I understand is designed to support the axle shaft during install and provide a pivot to angle the inner axle into the carrier. If somebody has better info post up.

I was quite puzzled because it did look like an oil seal with no "seal". I quickly realized it could not have come from the third member and must have come from the housing. When I discovered what it was and where it went, I intended to put it back but it got tweaked when the birf broke. I pounded it flat but it is still a bit egg shaped. I needed options so I started hunting MUD. The only posts I found dealt with trying to reinstall the piece. I knew I would get frustrated and I really didn't want to waste a bunch of time trying to get it back in place with little chance of success. I decided to find my own solution.
I looked at the housing and noticed two possible openings, the vent tube and the spot where the brake line was bolted to the housing. The vent line gave me a poor angle but by removing the brake line bolt I was able to feed my right-angle pick down to support the axle shaft and guide it into the diff.:hill: This prevents excessive pressure on, and damage to, the inner axle seal.:D

Uncle Ben
10-07-2008, 08:00 AM
:confused:not sure what that number is for:confused:

Bikemans Part numbers..... (http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/vanhalen/discography)

nakman
10-07-2008, 08:27 AM
That's a cool solution, Mike, I was wondering why you didn't want to poke through the vent but now that I think about it the brake mounting bolt makes more sense. Only downside is it's a two man job to install that side axle now? But that's probably one you can live with..

Tch2fly
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
That's a cool solution, Mike, I was wondering why you didn't want to poke through the vent but now that I think about it the brake mounting bolt makes more sense. Only downside is it's a two man job to install that side axle now? But that's probably one you can live with..

Thanks

Actually I can reach the handle of the pick while pushing in the axle but it is awkward .... a pair of vise grips on the shaft of the pick to limit the depth make it an easy one-man job :D:thumb:

Tch2fly
10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Bikemans Part numbers..... (http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/vanhalen/discography)

:lmao:

I'm a DLR era fan myself :thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks

Actually I can reach the handle of the pick while pushing in the axle but it is awkward .... a pair of vise grips on the shaft of the pick to limit the depth make it an easy one-man job :D:thumb:

Just drill a hole perpendicular through the housing and weld in a steel rod! Perfect! :flamingo::flamingo: :lmao:

Uncle Ben
10-07-2008, 02:15 PM
:lmao:

I'm a DLR era fan myself :thumb:

DLR is the ONLY real VH frontman and SH is perfect as just SH! :thumb: :perry:

sleeoffroad
10-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Actually on the ShortBus I drilled a hole below the center line on the back of the housing. Allowed me to put a screwdriver in there and guide the axle into position. Tapped with 1/8" pipe and plugged with a pipe plug. Worked like a dream and never leaked.

subzali
10-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Do 40s not have this? I have never seen it and I have to cantilever the axle across the seal to get it to engage the side gears...maybe that's why it leaked so fast after my first rebuild :doh: