PDA

View Full Version : Diesel knowledge?

gr8fulabe
10-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Does anyone here have any knowledge about the 2H diesel? My troopy (Sep 83) has a turbo'd 2H in it, and twice in the last week it has been running like a champ, but then when I come out of somewhere & go to start it up again, it makes a click, and then only has power with the key in the ACC position, but nothing in the ON position. The first time, a friend & I tried to figure it out for about three hours, and then the truck started right up. So we don't know what it was. This time, the truck is still sitting there, and I don't know what it could be. Anyone have any ideas? Obviously electrical, but where should I look???

Thanks a bunch for any ideas!

Best,
Abe

wesintl
10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
edic - basically when you go to start it it overfuels and then when you turn the truck off it kills the fuel at the pump. on my 3b there are also some relays in between. Is the edic cycling when it only clicks?

gr8fulabe
10-07-2008, 07:20 AM
edic - basically when you go to start it it overfuels and then when you turn the truck off it kills the fuel at the pump. on my 3b there are also some relays in between. Is the edic cycling when it only clicks?

I can't say for certain, but I think the EDIC is working. According to the guys on Mud, the EDIC control is up under the dash, on the passenger side. When I turn the key there is a clicking sound coming from that area, so I think it is turning on (or at least trying to). I will work on it this morning to try and figure it out.

It seems like it must be electrical, or maybe a short in the ignition switch. When the key is on ACC, it has power to the clock, radio, interior lights, etc... but nothing at the, ON position. But, strangely enough, even at ACC, if I try to turn on the headlights, it all goes dead instantly...

This might just be proof that I am over my head in the, "foreign, diesel cruiser owner" club.

art hog
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't have a 2H, Just a cummins 4BT. I had what I thought was a bad starter. Ran fine to the store got back in and it just clicked when I turned the key. I could bump start it but the key would just click. even had strong lights and all the gages worked fine. I finely decided to check the battery and it tested fine. When I put the battery back in I cleaned the terminals and reinstalled it. I thought what the hell might as well try to start it one more time. Started right up after sitting all summer.:banghead:

wesintl
10-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I can't say for certain, but I think the EDIC is working. According to the guys on Mud, the EDIC control is up under the dash, on the passenger side. When I turn the key there is a clicking sound coming from that area, so I think it is turning on (or at least trying to). I will work on it this morning to try and figure it out.

It seems like it must be electrical, or maybe a short in the ignition switch. When the key is on ACC, it has power to the clock, radio, interior lights, etc... but nothing at the, ON position. But, strangely enough, even at ACC, if I try to turn on the headlights, it all goes dead instantly...

This might just be proof that I am over my head in the, "foreign, diesel cruiser owner" club.

That's your solinoids under the dash clicking. The edic is the little motor with an arm near the fuel pump. are you sure the starter switch is good? It sounds like it could be making a bad contact.

gr8fulabe
10-07-2008, 10:14 AM
yep, you ate dead on about the starter relay under the dash. It clicks and then buzzes while you hold the key at start. I cleaned the fuse block and put in new fuses and cleaned the battery terminals and got the battery tested. So far none of that has changed anything.
if it was the starter switch, could that also affect my lights? I also don't seem to have any dah or headlights now, although the interior light and radio/voltmeter are working...

nakman
10-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Wow, I was on Binder Bulliten last night and stumbled onto a thread about "hot start," and that sounds exactly like what you're describing. I can't get past the first page here with our firewall, but go here if you want and search for "hot start" and I bet you run into a ton of info.. http://www.binderbulletin.org/

all from Scout guys who don't have Toyota experience.. :rolleyes: :)

gr8fulabe
10-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Seems like some good info on that, "Hotstart", but so far I still haven't been able to put it all together. Can anyone recognize the attached pic (at least hopefully it is there...)?

When I turn the key to start, the starter relay ender the dash clicks & continues to buzz, and then this piece here (bolted to the radiator on the driver's side) clicks fairly loudly. If I have someone else do it, I can even feel it switching inside if I put my hand on it. But that seems to be the end of the line. Is that just an ignition switch, or a relay...?

Thanks again!

Best,
Abe

corsair23
10-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Take off those connections and clean them up...couldn't hurt

Ok...that is the extent of my knowledge :)

gr8fulabe
10-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Take off those connections and clean them up...couldn't hurt

Ok...that is the extent of my knowledge :)

Good idea, but it didn't work...

BUT,

It seems to have helped me move forward a bit. If you look at the pic up above, you can see a fusible link to the right of that relay, that is also attached to the relay. If you look closely, you realize that it is only half a link, and the two wires that would have been the other half, have had terminals added to it & stuck onto it. If it disconnect them, I can get the parking brake & check engine lights to come on. So that seems like progress, even though it won't start yet. If I can figure out what they attach to, and also what the right link would be for it, maybe I can get it back to moving! that would be good too, since it is stuck in the parking lot at my wife's office... i am sure they love having it there!

wesintl
10-07-2008, 06:13 PM
If you need to move it either tow it and pop the clutch or run a hot wire to the starter and start it problem is you don't have the glow plugs to warm the engine which makes it easier, so your battery needs to be good and it may turn over for a little bit before it catches. I thought there were some either 3b or 2h manuals online somewhere. I'll see if I can remember. There were a couple good threads iirc about these solinoids on mud even if if they are 3b they are similar to the 2h.

gr8fulabe
10-08-2008, 09:40 PM
The bosses at Erica's work say it is cool for the truck to sit there for a while (but they did say they were going to put their logo's all over it... :)).

So I did some more work today, just trying to eliminate things that I know I can do to hopefully find the answer. So I pulled the starter to test it. I jumped it from the battery (used the big, main power line from the battery & then grounded the starter body to the neg. terminal & put a jumper into the, "on switch" plug. The starter turned over perfectly. So then I used a test light to check if that on switch line was getting juice & it is showing juice when you turn the key to, "START". So, I put it all back together, (cleaned up all the connections thinking that would do it) and it still wouldn't turn over at all.
Combine that with the fact that I show amps when the key is at, "ACC", but nothing at all in the, "ON" position, and nothing in, "Start" and I am wondering if one of the grounds (I see several dirty ones under there) from the engine/tranny/etc are not connecting to the frame properly, so that the whole thing isn't grounding correctly.
Does this sound like it could be a real situation, or could I be way off???

Thanks,
Abe

gr8fulabe
10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
WOOO HOOO! I got it running this morning. I cleaned up the ground straps on it, and it started right up! Funny, I have been cleaning up all sorts of contacts & connections, thinking the power wasn't going through it. If I had just started by cleaning up the ground connections, I could have had it fixed in a half hour...

Thanks a ton for the advice & tips!

Best,
Abe