PDA

View Full Version : Battery Time... Deka, Optima?

Rezarf
10-07-2008, 10:28 PM
I can get the battery FJBen used the Deka for about 130 or the yellow top for 20 bucks more at Sams with three years no questions asked warantee.

FJBen hows it holding up? UB, did you buy one also?

I have had a red top Optima for 6 years without issue, and on the charger it still goes for a few days between charging. I think the ARB freezer drained it once this summer, and that was the begining of the end of the Red Top.

Thoughts? Discuss... :D

Uncle Ben
10-08-2008, 02:29 AM
I can get the battery FJBen used the Deka for about 130 or the yellow top for 20 bucks more at Sams with three years no questions asked warantee.

FJBen hows it holding up? UB, did you buy one also?

I have had a red top Optima for 6 years without issue, and on the charger it still goes for a few days between charging. I think the ARB freezer drained it once this summer, and that was the begining of the end of the Red Top.

Thoughts? Discuss... :D

I replaced both in my 80 with Dekas..... absolutely happy with that decision!

FJBen
10-08-2008, 08:32 AM
I have the Deka and am happy with it. It cranks like a mofo. Haven't really put the test to it in terms of winching yet, so I can't comment. But I'll have an amp/sub and the winch on it.

So far happy...and I trust it more than the Optima's which have become very hit/miss.

Uncle Ben
10-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I have the Deka and am happy with it. It cranks like a mofo. Haven't really put the test to it in terms of winching yet, so I can't comment. But I'll have an amp/sub and the winch on it.

So far happy...and I trust it more than the Optima's which have become very hit/miss.

I have to agree on the Optimas! I have been a solid supporter of Optimas but their quality just doesn't seem to be there any more. Many folks here have reaped the benefits of the Deka 31 series in my 80! Crockpot delicious and no engine running whole movie fun!

Jacket
10-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Check out Odyssey as well. Not cheap - but excellent reputation.

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=34

timmbuck2
10-08-2008, 10:19 AM
where you getting the deka?

FJBen
10-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I got them at Hensley battery. Same price as online. There are some in denver.

Rezarf
10-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I got them at Hensley battery. Same price as online. There are some in denver.

Yup, Ben had a thread on it a while ago... that is where I plan on going.

Checked Sams club and it is actually about 40 bucks more than the Optima... that said, Deka here I come!

Drew

Rezarf
10-08-2008, 11:15 AM
What size should I be looking at, is bigger always better? My Optima barely takes up any space under the hood of the 40 and the tray has an inch to spare in all directions.

Thanks!

Uncle Ben
10-08-2008, 03:03 PM
What size should I be looking at, is bigger always better? My Optima barely takes up any space under the hood of the 40 and the tray has an inch to spare in all directions.

Thanks!

HHow much weight are you willing to deal with? My Deka 31 tips the scale at 71 lbs! :eek:

Hulk
10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
HHow much weight are you willing to deal with? My Deka 31 tips the scale at 71 lbs! :eek:

Wow! Are you running TWO of them?

Uncle Ben
10-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Wow! Are you running TWO of them?

Nope. group 31 is the second battery for fridge/ crockpot/ Ham/ winch main battery is a Deka 78 yellow. The gp 31 has 100mAr reserve vrs all normal batteries which are around 55mAh. 120+# of battery in the front of the 80....good thing its a syn winch line or I'd have to run airbags! :rolleyes::o

Rezarf
10-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Well, its a 40, one battery should do fine. But the fridge, lights, and winch are all power eaters...