PDA

View Full Version : Lots of leaks...

Rezarf
10-08-2008, 12:06 AM
So I have a nice leak on:

My steering gear box (mini-truck conversion) at the shaft.
My tranny
My rear diff
Both rear axle seals
And an itty bitty one on my waterpump gasket...

It is kinda overwhelming to think of replacing them all. I might have a replace a seal party with pizza and :beer: for anyone longing for the smell of 90wt.

The PM on a 32 year old rig is getting less and less appealing.

And then, I drive around topless in this weather... yup, she's worth it. I am going to get to them before the snow comes around!

Just thought I would rant a little.:rant:

Drew

AxleIke
10-08-2008, 08:56 AM
If you need some help, I'm happy to starting after next Wednesday.

Jacket
10-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Hmmmm - unhappy with the 40, new baby on the way - this can only mean one thing: UZJ100.:blah::lmao:

subzali
10-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Rear diff: cover or 3rd member? If cover, easy - remove cover, take out spider gears, remove axles, replace seal, reinstall. Couple hours since you don't have a locker. If it's the 3rd, same process but add a couple more hours to remove and clean and reinstall the 3rd member.

Tranny - is it the rear main seal? Or seal between tranny and t-case (overfilling tranny?)

Waterpump - if your water pump is leaking, you might need a new one (and if you wait too long you might need a new fan and radiator too :eek:). The gasket by itself can't be more than an hour or two, if that's the only problem.

rover67
10-08-2008, 11:30 AM
i could help too man, especially if it is after work on weekdays. I am busy this week trying to get my tranny R&R'ed, and will be out of town next week.. but after that can help. let us knwo your plans.

you could almost have one person working on the fron end, the rear end, and tranny all at the same time.

i also may be able to help with transpo since it's your DD, and I live so close.

nuclearlemon
10-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Rear diff: cover or 3rd member? If cover, easy - remove cover, take out spider gears, remove axles, replace seal, reinstall. Couple hours since you don't have a locker. If it's the 3rd, same process but add a couple more hours to remove and clean and reinstall the 3rd member.

if it's the cover, you don't need to pull the diff. just pull cover, clean, reinstall cover with new gasket:confused:

subzali
10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
he didn't say if it was the cover or the diff that was leaking.

Rezarf
10-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Pinion seal on the diff.

Tranny is leaking in a wierd place... always has. I replaced the output seal a few years ago before realizing it is a paper gasket in the tranny itself that is leaking.

Axle seals are no biggie, but I have had to replace them just a few years ago, either I am doing something wrong or the inners might be scored or something.

Waterpump, agreed, not a hard or difficult job, just messy.

On the bright side, the oil, ps fluid, 90wt and anti-freeze, are taking up the blue paint off the garage floor from the trailer spray booth days :hill:

100 Series here we come... in another 2-4 years :thumb:

nuclearlemon
10-08-2008, 12:20 PM
he didn't say if it was the cover or the diff that was leaking.

nope, he didn't, but you said "If cover, easy - remove cover, take out spider gears, remove axles, replace seal, reinstall. Couple hours since you don't have a locker." that's an awful lot to fix a diff cover leak:confused:

nuclearlemon
10-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Pinion seal on the diff.

Tranny is leaking in a wierd place... always has. I replaced the output seal a few years ago before realizing it is a paper gasket in the tranny itself that is leaking.

Axle seals are no biggie, but I have had to replace them just a few years ago, either I am doing something wrong or the inners might be scored or something.

Waterpump, agreed, not a hard or difficult job, just messy.

On the bright side, the oil, ps fluid, 90wt and anti-freeze, are taking up the blue paint off the garage floor from the trailer spray booth days :hill:

100 Series here we come... in another 2-4 years :thumb:

pinion seal is easy with air guns...otherwise, they suck. if you don't have air, you're welcome to come do that stuff at my place.

if you're replacing the pump, do your belt now also. if your belt goes later (as in a few years later), than you may take out the pump with a new belt.

subzali
10-08-2008, 12:48 PM
nope, he didn't, but you said "If cover, easy - remove cover, take out spider gears, remove axles, replace seal, reinstall. Couple hours since you don't have a locker." that's an awful lot to fix a diff cover leak:confused:

He said he needed to do the rear axle seals too, so I figured he'd want to catch it all at once :D

Get your game face on Drew! :thumb: