PDA

View Full Version : bye bye, Bella.

nakman
10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
:( Bella was put down today. Her lungs had filled with fluid, down to about 15% lung capacity. She hadn't eaten in days, at least one tumor was visible inside, and you could see it in her eyes that she was done. The vet had never seen such X-rays, was amazed she'd made it this long, it's really remarkable how stoic and selfless this breed is. All of this came on pretty quick too, which is probably the best way to go when you think about it.

Doesn't make today much easier though, and carrying your pet from the house to the car, then the car to the vet, has got to be one of the worst feelings in the world.

Anyway I wouldn't ordinarily do this but I know a lot of you really knew Bella quite well, as you got to know her pretty good on the countless events and trail runs she attended with us. She really enjoyed being a part of our group, as do I. So to honor that, I'm hoping that you will use this thread to post up any pictures you may have of her, or any stories you'd like to share about her, or share a story about another pet of yours if you want. I'll be reading this thread to Gavin later, forwarding it to Michele, and suspect I'll look back at it often.

I'll start us off... her favorite place to lay was right where you'd be walking next. If you were working on the truck, then that would either be next to you under the truck, with a leg under the creeper, or between you and the toolbox. She wasn't a very good retriever, could find the ball alright but didn't really like to bring it back, and she couldn't catch anything- even biscuits would literally bounce off her nose. What a personality. She'd greet you by picking up some small item (sock, receipt, pencil...) then hold it in her mouth and growl, while her entire body oscillated back and forth under the stress of some serious tail wagging. It was the cutest thing in the world. We actually had to have her tail operated on when we first got her, because she wagged her tail so much she kept smacking it into walls and door jams causing it to bleed, which never had time to heal. But even with one less tail vertebra, a big bandage on the tail, and a satellite dish on her neck, she still wagged her tail constantly. We got her from a the Golden Retriever Rescue when she was about 4, and had her about 6 years, so to the best of our knowledge she was 10.

here are a few pictures:

subzali
10-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Sad to hear Tim, we went through this as well not long enough ago...:(

It was good to see Bella last week, you're spot on about selfless. She was a good dog :)

nuclearlemon
10-08-2008, 10:46 AM
damn...sorry tim:(

Romer
10-08-2008, 10:59 AM
She was a great dog. Glad she came on the Rubicon trip.

here is to you Bella:beer:

RockRunner
10-08-2008, 11:08 AM
So sorry to hear the sad news Tim. I know how you feel having gone through this myself several times now.

I had to laugh when I saw the second pictures down. Our Golden, Duke, does the exact same thing. The smallest puddle or the biggest mud pit and he has to lay in it. We also rescued Duke through the Golden Rescue, my parents actually work with them and donate food when they can.

If you or your family ever need a Golden fix you are more than welcome to come over or meet up somewhere. These dogs are one of the best breeds around and like you said are selfless to a fault nearly.

I have no pictures or stories to tell you about Bella but I will post up some pics or video of Duke and Sambuca. Our thoughts go out to you and your family and Bella.

Hulk
10-08-2008, 11:12 AM
She was a great dog. It was so awesome that she was a part of our Rubicon trip. I'm sorry she's gone. You loved her so much. Such a sad thing to have to do. She'll be missed by all of us.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

MDH33
10-08-2008, 11:29 AM
So sorry to hear this Tim, Michelle, and Gavin. :(

Bella was a great dog and lead a happy life.

It was just a couple of weeks ago that we were working on the brakes of your Scout and Bella was right there laying under the axle, keeping the tools hidden. I also remember her helping with loading trees in the trailer and walking along so close to the wheels of your 80 that I thought for sure she would get crunched. Always wanting to be where the people are. :D

nakman
10-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes I'm so glad that I took her on the Rubicon... she went hiking, swimming, had a terrific time. She also has been to Cruise Moab, ghost town runs, Ouray trip, spooky night runs, Jenny Creek several times, Gillespie, Argentine... the list goes on. Her last trail was Slaughterhouse this past Sunday.

It's amazing when you look at old pics above how grey she got.. you can see a similar trasformation in the 80 too, man it used to be so small and shiny, what happened? :D

But on that, here's one from 2003:

Tch2fly
10-08-2008, 11:43 AM
She was a great dog. It was so awesome that she was a part of our Rubicon trip. I'm sorry she's gone. You loved her so much. Such a sad thing to have to do. She'll be missed by all of us.

x2 Matt said it all

60wag
10-08-2008, 12:06 PM
It is very sad. I'll miss seeing her lounging in the back of the truck. I did get to greet her last week at OTB - one last pat on the head.

Rezarf
10-08-2008, 12:16 PM
So sorry Tim, our pets are truly family members.

Cheeseman
10-08-2008, 12:26 PM
The last chapter is always the most difficult Tim, I know you will go on. I just hope it isn't hurting Gavin to much.
________
Gay vids (http://www.****tube.com/categories/22/gay/videos/1)

corsair23
10-08-2008, 12:28 PM
What a total bummer :(

Glad I got to say goodbye to her last week at the pre-meeting! She was great to have along on the Rubicon trip...I'll look for some pictures to post up...

I don't believe I have a picture but I have the memory of playing horseshoes (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=78012&postcount=18) in the park in Fallon NV on the way home from the Rubithon...As I recall, Bella wanted to be where the action was there as well :D

Hang on to the memories Tim, Michele, and Gavin

timmbuck2
10-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Very sorry to hear that Tim, glad I got to see Bella a couple months ago...which leads to my story...a couple months ago I was heading up to Tim's house to return his trailer (AGAIN) and drop off some beer. About a mile away from his house I come up to a Golden running up the hill in the middle of the road. Didn't think much of it other than "crazy dog". :) I get to Tim's and after I got everything unloaded, Tim comes home, and we are hanging out at the bottom of his hill when Bella comes crashing through the woods at us. Seems she had been inside the house when some thunder spooked her and I guess she crashed through a window screen and decided to run away from the bad noises.

Great dog...will truly be missed.

daughterofromer
10-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Sorry to hear about Bella, she was a wonderful dog (and family member!). I know she had a very happy life and I'm glad I got to spend some time with her on Rubicon!

Uncle Ben
10-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Ohhhhh....Tim Michelle and Gavin, I am so sorry for your loss. I loved Bella too so much, what a great dog! I also got to give her greeting last Wednesday at OTB when I first got there. I know it was just the way Bella was but I always felt like we were close buddies. She will be sorely missed! I have a few stories I can think of but Tim, your intro post brought to mind a very memorable one. I had picked up your old ring and pinion's to take to a club meeting you couldn't attend as Christo was buying R&P's. Christo only took one so the next day I put the unsold R&P back into your garage and stuck the folded cash under the box flap with abought 1/2" or so sticking out so you would spot it as soon as you pulled into the garage. Bella of course was right there with me making me feel like her best bud. I always take some time to love Bella back as I love dogs very much. A few days later you give me a call and ask for the cash. :eek: WTF? I explain where the cash was put and of course am going over the scenario over and over in my head watching myself putting the folded cash under the box flap. You scour the box and garage and discover a piece of one 20 somewhere....Bella....she obvioulsy sniffed what I left in HER garage a found something to play with. That was Bella.....good bye my redheaded friend! :(

Crash
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Tim,
We are all very sad to hear that you lost Bella. She was a wonderful companion and friend to your family and all your friends. We send you all deep sympathies and warm memories of our travels together. She had a heart of gold and so plainly loved being with you and being part of your world. It was easy to tell. Those goldens are so expressive and grateful, especially a rescued pup. You will miss her forever and we hope that the pain you feel now will soon be replaced by the many happy memories and beautiful, fun photos.

Nellie and Pearl well remember playing with Bella and her silly sister on a Jones Pass run in the fall, watching those gleeful dogs racing up and down the steep hillsides, leaping over and wiggling under fallen trees and easily bouncing back into the truck at a whistle. They know how to have fun!

Remember all the happy times and perhaps your hearts won't feel so heavy. We are all so sorry. And loved seeing the pictures!

Steve and Suzie and Nellie and Pearl

Groucho
10-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Sorry and glad to hear, Tim. I saw, as you did, Sunday while working on the scout that Bella was not but a shadow of what she was even a couple months ago. I am not looking forward to the day Kenosha is in the same situation.

You know you did the right thing. This thread proves it. Not that you started the thread, but that so many people agree about her charisma and loving, happy personality.

I will be looking for pictures if I have some.

Sleep well that she fells like her old self tonight.

Shark Bait
10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Tim, sorry for your loss. Glad I had a chance to hang with her at Rubithon. I know how much she meant to you.

Bikeman
10-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Very sorry for your loss.

Mendocino
10-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Condolences from the Hamiltons.

theboomboom
10-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Wow, 3 pages in a single day doesn't happen very often tim, just goes to show how much she was loved by the members of this club.

I'll second martin's comment on thinking she would have been run over by running so close to your truck, but she was a smart dog. Her devotion and companionship to humans wasn't something I have really seen in other dogs. My best memory of her is whenever you started a chainsaw, she would have a scooby doo moment and run and hide behind me. I was more or less a complete stranger, but her inherent appreciation for people would compel her to be so exceptionally friendly.

Tell the family I'm sorry for your loss.

Inukshuk
10-08-2008, 10:53 PM
I'll remember Zan and Jayna barking at (with?) her at your old house. I'll play ball with Zan a little longer tonight for you and Bella.
Peace.

nakman
10-09-2008, 05:51 AM
Thanks again everyone, we read this thread together last night and shared some great memories

And now she's looking down at us all from the big third row slider in the sky..

:risingsun

rover67
10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Hate to hear it man... I really do.

wesintl
10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
hey, I just got in. I'm sorry to hear Nakman Family. I'm glad I got to see her on a few runs!

bigbluefj
10-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Tim sorry to hear about the loss of Bella, She was a great friend to have i will miss her very much. She was great to be with at your house and on the rubithon ...

Kevin

Corbet
10-09-2008, 08:16 PM
very sorry to hear this.

PabloCruise
10-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Oh Tim... :(

I am sorry.

It is not fair that our animals live so much shorter than we do. ANd it is not logical that knowing this, we go into the relationship anyway.

They trust us with that ultimate responsibility for them, and sometimes we have to help them on.

I did not know Bella I am sorry to say.

My first dog that I chose myself was a Golden - Bonnie Girl. She LOVED riding in Cruisers!

Someone shared this with me when I lost Bonnie, and it really messed me up, but I hope it helps you a little bit.

The Rainbow Bridge

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the "Rainbow Bridge" because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills, and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.

There is only one thing missing; they are not with their special person who loved them on Earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group!

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him/her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again, again, and again and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.

thenimirra
10-11-2008, 12:07 PM
I am sorry. :( May she rest in peace until she is reunited with her family again!

lfd270ben
10-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Sorry for your loss, I can only hope that one day my dog behaves even half as well as Bella did. She always seemed to be so calm and happy riding in your 80 on the trail.

Lars
11-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for sharing. It's always hard to do this to one of your best friends. Meg too had not eaton in days. Even refused steak, for a lab, this is unthinkable. Hef favorite toy was her leash. Even when it was attached to her coller, she would carry the otehr end in her mouth, looking like she was teking her self for a walk.

It's amaazing how attached we become to our pets. it's also good how much support rising sun has offered and how many people understand. Thanks

:( Bella was put down today. Her lungs had filled with fluid, down to about 15% lung capacity. She hadn't eaten in days, at least one tumor was visible inside, and you could see it in her eyes that she was done. The vet had never seen such X-rays, was amazed she'd made it this long, it's really remarkable how stoic and selfless this breed is. All of this came on pretty quick too, which is probably the best way to go when you think about it.

Doesn't make today much easier though, and carrying your pet from the house to the car, then the car to the vet, has got to be one of the worst feelings in the world.

Anyway I wouldn't ordinarily do this but I know a lot of you really knew Bella quite well, as you got to know her pretty good on the countless events and trail runs she attended with us. She really enjoyed being a part of our group, as do I. So to honor that, I'm hoping that you will use this thread to post up any pictures you may have of her, or any stories you'd like to share about her, or share a story about another pet of yours if you want. I'll be reading this thread to Gavin later, forwarding it to Michele, and suspect I'll look back at it often.

I'll start us off... her favorite place to lay was right where you'd be walking next. If you were working on the truck, then that would either be next to you under the truck, with a leg under the creeper, or between you and the toolbox. She wasn't a very good retriever, could find the ball alright but didn't really like to bring it back, and she couldn't catch anything- even biscuits would literally bounce off her nose. What a personality. She'd greet you by picking up some small item (sock, receipt, pencil...) then hold it in her mouth and growl, while her entire body oscillated back and forth under the stress of some serious tail wagging. It was the cutest thing in the world. We actually had to have her tail operated on when we first got her, because she wagged her tail so much she kept smacking it into walls and door jams causing it to bleed, which never had time to heal. But even with one less tail vertebra, a big bandage on the tail, and a satellite dish on her neck, she still wagged her tail constantly. We got her from a the Golden Retriever Rescue when she was about 4, and had her about 6 years, so to the best of our knowledge she was 10.

here are a few pictures:

Kipper
11-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Major bummer Tim. Great story about having the tail repaired because she wagged it too much. Scout is in for a serious bear hug when I get home, reminds me to appreciate my best friend every chance I get.

RedCreeper
11-23-2010, 11:00 AM
This is always a hard thing to go threw Tim. We went threw the trip to the vet 2 years ago a few days before Christmas with Hanz and a few months before that with Nets little guy. Still miss Hanz even though he was only with us for a very short time so i can only imagine how you guys feel. Great to read the stories here and the short time we have had on the trail with her we no she loved all the time spent with you and the family. Cheers!