PDA

View Full Version : 1999 4runner brakes

jjhancock
10-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey gang,

I've got a friend who's repeatedly had problems with her brake rotors warping on her 1999 4Runner, and as a result her braking is quite poor. She even moved up to drilled and slotted rotors this last time around, and in less than a year they're warped again. Anyway, she knows nothing about cars and has asked me what I think. Toyota of Boulder has diagnosed the the problem and says she needs new brake rotors and pads in the front, but has given her a pretty expensive quote to get the job done right. I'm considering doing the job for her and ordering the parts from CDan to save her some money, but I'm unsure if the 4Runner has knock-off rotors or not. I know my 80 does not, and it's a more difficult job as a result. However, I know I can do knock-off rotors and new pads in short time, I'm just unsure if her 4Runner actually has knock-off rotors and if I can do the job myself. Can anybody fill me in on the difficulty of doing this job myself? Thanks in advance!

-Justin

irbis
10-09-2008, 05:26 PM
tundra brake convertion, the best.

Cheese
10-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Not sure about knockoff rotors, as in subpar or non-OEM?

Brakes on those are stupid easy, pull the wheel, pull the caliper, swap the rotor, repeat.

Many like swapping Tundra rotors and calipers. Get some cross-drilled/slotted Tundra rotors from Slee, some Tundra calipers with stock pads and call it good.

jjhancock
10-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Ah, ok. When I said knock-off rotors I meant the rotors that come off after you pull the wheel and caliper and don't require serious hub disassembly, as in "I can just knock them off". That's great news. I'll let my friend know that I can do the job for her. Thanks again.

Hulk
10-09-2008, 09:34 PM
You might need to rebuild the calipers. Her brakes may be putting uneven pressure on the rotors. If that's the case, it could explain why she keeps warping the rotors.

corsair23
10-11-2008, 12:42 AM
You might need to rebuild the calipers. Her brakes may be putting uneven pressure on the rotors. If that's the case, it could explain why she keeps warping the rotors.

Is she a "two-footed" driver? Something is causing the rotors to warp and unless she likes to just spend money replacing them she needs to figure the problem...I see a lot of two-footed drivers around town.

Maddmatt
10-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Post up when you're done - I have a similar problem in my '96 - braking performance is fine but I have a shimmy at 65mph and Robbie diagnosed a warped front brake rotor a couple years ago (I know, its been awhile, but as I said the brakes WORK fine, so I drive either under or over 65). I'm thinking the two are related.

The operation looks and reads pretty simple, but I'm a 2-banana mechanic at best. Will be interested in hearing if you come across any unexpected hurdles.
Thanks
-Matt

jjhancock
10-13-2008, 01:29 PM
I will post up when the problem is remedied, which will be when I find the time to tear into it. The newest problem is that the window was frozen this morning, and when she put the window down, it of course came off the tracks. So, now that it's cold and has been rainy and snowy, that's the top priority :)

In other news, the truck seems to be braking a lot better as a result of toyota cleaning up the front brakes when they did the initial inspection to quote her for the work. Definitely feels safer now, but the brakes aren't yet 100%. I'm pretty sure the rotors are ok as they're drilled and slotted, and are under a year old. I'm thinking Matt was spot on when he mentioned rebuilt calipers. I'm not sure if I'm up for that task or not considering my limited time, but whatever the fixes are, I'll be sure to post back up!

Red_Chili
10-13-2008, 01:41 PM
For you cruiser guys- warped rotors are not uncommon on that generation 4Runner. DAMHIK. They can be turned though.

Romer
10-13-2008, 03:30 PM
The brakes on a 99 4runner are a peice of cake. Pull off the wheel, remove the caliper (leave hose connected) and pull off rotor and slide new rotor on. I removed the pads before bolting the caliper back on and installed new pads with the caliper in place.

I used a towel (to not mark up rotor) and large (Big Mother) screw driver to open caliper pistons enough to install new pads. If the caliper is seized, it wont work.

nakman
10-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Do runners have LSPV's? Like :homer: says about beer, those things are the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Seldom Seen
10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Do runners have LSPV's?

Yes and No. 3rd gens, depending on which ABS system you have, proportion the rear brakes through feed back from the ABS sensors. So there is proportioning but no valve, like on a Taco, that senses ride hight.

3rd gen front brakes are barely adequate. Let the rears get out of adj and the fronts take up the slack, warped rotors will soon follow.

If replacing the front with stock parts, make sure the rears are in adjustment, the adjuster is working and lubed and don't forget to use the parking brake (:Princess:+ Auto tranny=no parking brake around our QTH :mad:)

The Tundra swap is no brainer easy. You just need to find the 199mm or "type A" calipers from a 1st gen Tundra that HAS NOT had the TSB swap done. J/Y, Carparts.com, or guys on Tundra Solutions, who did not qualify for the TSB and are looking to upgrade their calipers themselves are your best and cheapest sources.

Akebono (OEM supplier to Toyota USA) and Car Quest both have quality remans, expect to pay a bit more and eat the core charge.

Tundra 199mm calipers, Tundra rotors and Tundra TRD pads are the way to go. The caliper are the same in every way, 'cept the slot for the rotor, it's wider to allow for the 1/2" thicker rotor. The pistons are the same so the deltaV is the same and they will work with your existing master cylinder. The rotors are 1/2" thicker so the additional mass is a better sink and they will resist warping much better than the 'Runners. The pads are nearly identical (though not interchangeable) you have to compare them side by side to see that the Tundra's have a larger swept area.

All in all it's the best brake upgrade you can do on a 3rd gen. If you're going to pop for pads and rotors might as well go the extra mile and do it right.

Did mine over a year ago ad I haven't looked back.

Red_Chili
10-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Cool sig line image summarily stolen!! LOL

Ron Helmuth
11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Seldom Seen touched on the real root cause-the rears are likely not doing their share of the braking-causing the fronts to overwork.

Lots of threads on t4r.org or YotaTech regarding the Tundra conversion. If you don't tow or ride the brakes excessively descending mountain passes, most folks never need that much of an upgrade.

Having come from a Gen 2 4Runner-the 3rd gen brakes are plenty adequate

Slotted/cross drilled rotors have their fans while others say it is a waste of money.

Save your friend's money and consider Brembo or AutoZone rotors-Brembo's maybe $20 more for the name brand. Auto Zone replaceable under warranty and some folks just swap them out every year or so.

I had Irbis do my brakes, I would never trust myself with a system so critical to my passengers' safety. I guess I must be a 1 banana mechanic.

I used Brembo rotors and the 4Runner upgrade pad-the bite of the pedal is now significantly improved. Ask for the upgrade pad-not the stock pad replacement. I can provide part number if needed.