PDA

View Full Version : My busted birf story

Tch2fly
10-13-2008, 09:58 PM
It was brought up in my "guess this part thread" that I recently trashed a birf. Some heard the story and some didn't, so here it is. Over Labor Day I was doing my annual wheeling run with some of the guys from Stevinson and we decided to run OCG.

I must have gotten a contact buzz following a bunch of Rednecks and took a stupid line followed quickly by an even stupider move and after getting hung blew out the driver side birf.:(

I have spares of both sides but the long side was sitting at home on my workbench. Gary, the shop foreman at Stevinson, and I pulled it apart and made an axle plug from a latex glove and shop rags. After stuffing it in the seal, we buttoned it up and I headed back to camp. As soon as I started moving I realized I had also torn out the wiring to the speed sensor and had limited control over the trans. I stopped for a group headed uphill (the Redline guys in their 55) which gave me a chance to fix the wiring. I got back to camp and pulled the front driveshaft to make the trip home.

Glad I had my spill kit:thumb:

Tch2fly
10-13-2008, 09:59 PM
As a result I had to replace the inner axle and birfield (only had about 6k on them :( ) Along with an outer wheel bearing damaged in the field and one I dropped and bent in the garage :o

Here are the busted parts (cage and balls went in the spill kit bag)

Uncle Ben
10-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Amazing! 80 birfs take some serious abuse before they break! Good on ya for the tidy trail clean up! :thumb::thumb:

subzali
10-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Wow! So the cage broke but the bell didn't!