PDA

View Full Version : 80 Antenna Fix

Crash
10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Oh boy, my first post regarding 80 series fixes and it's about the FM antenna. High tech!! ;) It stopped going up and down and I've searched the MUD faq pages and found John E. Davies' broken mast fix info. Mast is fine and motor makes the usual noises. The inner cable doesn't show itself when the radio is turned on and mast removed. Mr. Davis' fix is about repairing a broken mast and describes how to remove the motor assembly and all, but is there a writeup anywhere that deals with just a broken cable repair? Thanks!

Tch2fly
10-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Usually there is no repair just replacement of the mast. I have been able to re-use a mast section that has had the very tip of the plastic cable broken off (must pull motor to get out busted tip)
Sounds like you already have the old mast out, just feed the new mast section in and turn off the radio. If it catches and winds in you are good to go. If it doesn't it grab then part of the plastic cable is stuck in the motor.

You need to pull the motor if a section of the plastic is busted off inside and needs to be removed before the new mast will install.

RicardoJM
10-14-2008, 11:49 AM
I ran the 470 through the car wash :o with the antenna up a few years ago. Got the chance to research the power antenna very well. Mike is on the right track. If there is not any plastic cable still in the motor housing you should be able to stick the cable end of the new antenna and have the motor suck it right on in when the radio power is cut. If it doesn't suck it right away, turn it around as the teeth on the gears need to line up with the teeth cable - DAMHIK.

You should only need to get into the motor if there is some of the plastic cable still in there. I tried to find the post in the 100 section that provided me the best information about the subject, but couldn't find it in all the other "my antenna has broke - now what" posts in the results.

In either event, you will likely need to get a new antenna. I am not aware of any repair that can be done to splice the plastic cable.

Crash
10-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks, guys. Just compressed the removed mast and about 2' of ribbed cable exposed itself. Time to dive into the motor and order up a new mast and cable, I guess.

Uncle Ben
10-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks, guys. Just compressed the removed mast and about 2' of ribbed cable exposed itself. Time to dive into the motor and order up a new mast and cable, I guess.

Unfortunately, $40+ cable and mast kit is what you need and more unfortunate is, like Mike said, you have to pull the motor to get the broken stub out. A fortunate thing is the antenna is removable at the motor unlike the one on your 62! While XM does cost every month not having to replace the mast every time I forget to put it down when there is trees present nearly pays the subscription cost every year! :rolleyes:

Crash
10-14-2008, 05:07 PM
XM or Sirius are certainly good alternatives to off air FM. While at the Binghams in Albuquerque last week, James had the XM blues station going constantly while we tinkered in and around the garage. Heard things I'd never heard before and no commercials is a big plus. The 80 already has an XM antenna mounted in it by PO Jim Riess. Hmmmm.....

nuclearlemon
10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
just wait until you hear the same songs over and over again throughout the week. when mike and i went to pismo, it drove me crazy. now i have to deal with it here at work. plus, i remember when you paid for cable tv to get commercial free also;)

anyone by some odd chance have any experience with the metra universal power antenna? it's supposed to fit 80s

Nay
10-14-2008, 07:11 PM
It's been said, the fix is satellite radio :D

treerootCO
10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Canceled my satellite subscription, I'm going back to AM radio. Steve, my PM box is full still due to laziness. What can I do for you fine sir? I wired electricity to the tater shed over the weekend. Talk about highfalutin!

Beater
10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I put mine down, and disco'd the switch on the dash. Then I bought a 9.99 rubber replacement and mounted it on the bumper, with another 9.99 in fm antenna extension. problem solved.

corsair23
10-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Steve,

I don't recall what year your 80 is? Somewhere in there ('94 or '95) there was a design change as I recall...Both my 80's are '97s and apparently the later years are easier to fix because the cable isn't physically attached to the motor or something...If you have a later model year (say '96 or '97) then I would think you could remove the antenna mast and then hit the "out" button for the antenna and run the cable right out...Feed the new antenna mast cable in, have someone retract the antenna a bit until you get it close and can secure it to the fender, and finish it off.

On my :Princess:'s 80 I replaced the antenna....I didn't know at the time the old cable was already out so what would have been a 15 minute repair took me several hours of getting the motor out and apart only to discover the cable was not in there :doh: - The motor is a PITA to get in and out...

I followed the write up that you can find a link to in the MUD FAQs

Crash
10-14-2008, 09:26 PM
The truck is a '97 Jeff, so I will try your suggestion of trying to burp the old cable out before delving into the motor.
Interesting, off air vs. satellite radio is about as black and white an issue as presidential politics this year!
Root, I stopped by yesterday to check out the 80 steps but you have the place too **** and span to find much in the way of Cruiser!! The neighbors must be very proud of you. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-14-2008, 11:53 PM
It just depends on where the cable broke! If there is enough left in the spool it will come out far enough to get a hold of....if just the 2-4" broke off the end you have to pull the assembly. Sorry to say but the cable usually snaps on the end....:(

Crash
10-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Just finished the mast/cable replacement and the job was easier than expected thanks to John Davies' instructions. Had to dive into the motor as the broken cable wouldn't burp out but is was just as well so old grease could be cleaned out and new grease replaced it. On to rear brake pad replacement now.