PDA

View Full Version : Hurrah for Forums! (quick search helped me fix my Cruiser's Rough Idle and stalling)

Inukshuk
10-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Rough idle and stalling (1993 80) started in Utah - wheeling in the Maze on the Outlaws run two weeks ago. :( Even stalled on the way down Wipe Out Hill. :eek:
Searched here, found nothing. Searched MUD. Found this: "you probably tore the big intake hose from the air cleaner to the throttle body (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/214438-idle-problems.html)."
Went to Cruiser. Saw ripped intake hose instantly. 18" of :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Duct Tape later it purrs.
This IS how its supposed to work! :cheers:

treerootCO
10-14-2008, 07:53 PM
that was funny...I was thinking you probably tore the big intake hose. :D 9ersgirl and hank were driving Woody's 80 when it crapped out on the Kokapelli trail and Robbie knew that instantly. I learned from him....I did not know that.

Romer
10-14-2008, 07:55 PM
when you change the air filter. do you loosen the clamps and take the hose off or do you lift the lid with the hose still attached? Thats what usually starts the damage.

Inukshuk
10-14-2008, 10:11 PM
when you change the air filter. do you loosen the clamps and take the hose off or do you lift the lid with the hose still attached? Thats what usually starts the damage.

What's an air filter? ;)

yeah, I have always just lifted the lid.

Just today I had started to think about checking for leaks, recalling the time I left the oil filler cap off and had a rough idle. Then there was the time the EGR valve on the 60 got stuck open with similar effect.

powderpig
10-14-2008, 10:54 PM
what starts the damage is a rubber hose above the exhaust manifold. But what do engenieers know?

Rzeppa
10-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Interesting thread. My co-worker had a similar problem with his exploder a few weeks back. After some Q&A, I suggested we go out to the parking lot to do an eyeball. His intake hose between the filter housing and t-body had fallen off (after he had driven many miles of bumpy and washboard roads the weekend before), my guess was that the MAF sensor was saying there wasn't much air flow and therefore the ECU figured it didn't need much fuel to the injectors. We put the hose back on and presto-voila! Ran great, no stalling and all power was back. Love it when it's something simple.