PDA

View Full Version : Alternator belt

subzali
10-15-2008, 09:15 PM
This should be easy: the OEM alternator belt should fit. There's a bracket setup for the F, one for the 2F, and one for the 3F/3F-E. Mine's obviously a 2F, so I don't know what's going on. But right now I've been getting by with a NAPA belt that's the "right" length (longer than stock), but it's too narrow so it's not riding in the pulley in the right spot.

When I try to push my alt. in to shorten the length, it interferes with the water pump bypass hose that goes to the t-stat housing. Don't know if that's right either.

SO - hoping someone in or near the south side with a stock 2F (FJ40 would be best, but it shouldn't make a difference) would let me come over to poke around their engine and find out what's going on.

Shark Bait
10-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Matt,

I've got a York bracket and a longer belt on mine, but you're welcome to come by Saturday morning. I think I still have the original stock alternator belt, if you want to compare it to yours.

corsair23
10-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Matt...

Were you able to do some poking around on the 40?

subzali
11-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Yes, but you're right the York makes everything different. Now I can't remember who's 40 it was on the 40s Only Run last year that I was looking at.

Now - I need someone with a 2F to help me figure out why my alternator belt (OEM) is too short (won't fit so I'm using a NAPA belt that's too skinny instead). Is there anybody on the south or west side that can let me look at their truck for a 1/2 hour or so?

subzali
12-23-2008, 08:46 AM
After calling up the dealership and checking the part number of the "OEM" belt I had, I found out it was the wrong application! It's for a '79 and up either power steering or smog pump or something like that, which is shorter than the alternator belt. Well, too late to take it back now :doh: (it's only been a year and a half :o) so I stopped by this morning and got me the right one. Now the tensioning bolt sits exactly in the middle of where it's supposed to be. Part number is 99343-11265-77.

I can't believe something this simple was somehow made so hard, it must just be me :hill: