PDA

View Full Version : 16 inch split rims & other stuff

gr8fulabe
10-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi,

Have have two sets (5 of each) of Aussie split rims for sale. One set is just the rims, and the other has tires on them. The tires are a mixed set, and are worth driving on, but they are nothing special.

According to a bunch of posts I have seen on Mud, these usually go for about $500 a set, so I will ask for $400 to anyone on this board.

I also have a 4 speed tranny & transfer case (from an 83-85 FJ60, but I don't recall the exact year). I bought this about a year or so ago from the Parkinsons for $300. Then I got a chance to score an H55F, so it has just sat in my buddy's garage. I would like to get my $300 back from it, but I am open to offers. It has sticks, but no shift knobs if I recall. I don't have a pic of it, but I could go get one if someone wanted to see it.

If you need something shipped for some reason, I have some connections in the shipping industry, so I could probably score a good deal, depending on where it needs to go.

Also, if anyone has a set of BF Goodrich all terrains that fit an 80 series that are in pretty good shape, I would be willing to work some sort of trade (straight up or partial plus cash in either direction, depending on how new the tires are, etc...).

Let me know if you have any questions, or want any more info. I have pics of them, but I am having trouble uploading them at the moment, as this new Vista computer is fighting me. I can e-mail them, or I will post them as soon as I figure it out...

Best,
Abe

gr8fulabe
10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I think I have these re-sized small enough to post now...

Like before, let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Abe

Hulk
10-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Just curious: what is the advantage of split rims? They seem to be held in high regard, but I've never been quite sure why.

gr8fulabe
10-17-2008, 06:05 PM
I think that there are three reasons, with the first two being more just about cool factor...
1. People like having OEM Landcrusier stuff that is non-USA issue.
2. They are like 16x7 or so, compared to the smaller size of the 40 rims, so people can put larger tires on them without issue.
3. The real reason people like them is that you can take them apart & repair flats & such with just a few handtools in the field. This link shows how you do it...

http://www.4wdonline.com/Wheels/Split.html

As far as I know, you can't take a tire off of a normal rim like this, but that is just what I have been told. Although from what I understand, a lot of tire shops won't work on split rims anymore, so you have to know where to go to get tires mounted (or do it yourself like on the link).

wesintl
10-17-2008, 08:46 PM
no real advantage in the US. There is really no where you need to carry two spares or a spare and several tires. The advantage of a split is it's 3rd world use in africa and aus where there are no tire shops for hundreds of miles in the bush and what you find in a village is minimal.

Easy to change in the field with simple tools. Cool factor.

I like mine but they are heavy. you can get heaver duty tires usually in a 16 too. For a heavily laden troopy it's an avantage over a 15.

Good luck on the sale abe.

gr8fulabe
10-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Lowered price.

$300 per set for the split rims and $250 for the tranny/transfer combo.

If anyone is interested, let me know. Otherwise I will post up on Mud & such sometime next week.

Best,
Abe

Hulk
11-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Abe, do you still have any of the split rims?

gr8fulabe
11-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Matt,

Yeah, I actually still have everything from this post. I haven't posted anything up for sale anywwhere else yet. I wanted to make sure that anyone here that might want something had the first shot at getting something, and so when the Rising Sun sight started having problems & I couldn't get on for a couple weeks, I just figured I would wait to advertise elsewhere to make sure nobody here was trying to get anything. If you are interested in either set of the rims I can take some more pics or whatever & send them to you. Or you are more than welcome to come look at them.

Best,
Abe

Hulk
11-16-2008, 11:16 PM
PM sent.

Crash
12-02-2008, 10:32 AM
PM sent.

Did these rims ever change hands? I have a friend who is looking for some.
Thanks.

timmbuck2
12-02-2008, 10:41 AM
would 285 75 r16 tires fit on these? seems like a cool way to get 16inch tires on 1 40...would be nice to swap out my old 80 tires onto the 40 every time I get new ones on the 80...

Hulk
12-02-2008, 11:59 AM
One set was purchased by my friend Tim Noreen for his FJ40.

Abe probably still has the second set.

Uncle Ben
12-02-2008, 12:03 PM
One set was purchased by my friend Tim Noreen for his FJ40.

Abe probably still has the second set.

WOW.....thats a name from the past. How is Tim? Truly a top notch dude! :thumb:

Jacket
12-02-2008, 01:27 PM
would 285 75 r16 tires fit on these? seems like a cool way to get 16inch tires on 1 40...would be nice to swap out my old 80 tires onto the 40 every time I get new ones on the 80...

They'd fit. Tires are a bit wider than "optimal" for a 7" rim, but they work just fine. Not sure if those wider tires would cause any rubbing issues on your 40 tho.

I've got 255/85/16's with 16x7 steel rims on my 40. They fit great.

timmbuck2
12-02-2008, 02:30 PM
They'd fit. Tires are a bit wider than "optimal" for a 7" rim, but they work just fine. Not sure if those wider tires would cause any rubbing issues on your 40 tho.

I've got 255/85/16's with 16x7 steel rims on my 40. They fit great.

thanks...I like the idea of putting handmedowns from the 80 on the 40. :) AND retaining the OEM steelie look...

bryan062087
12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I've been trying to get a hold of the seller since late November and I can't get him to answer PM's except for my first one telling me he still had them.

I would like to buy the other set of split rims he has. Is there any other way to contact him?

I sure hope he has not sold them.

Hulk
12-10-2008, 04:33 PM
PM sent with Abe's info.

gr8fulabe
12-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Yep, I still have the second set. I am talking with Bryan now, so he might buy them, but you never know about that until it is done.

Thanks Matt, for forwarding my contact info. I have been super busy &/or out of town for the last three weeks & haven't been online for personal use in forever. I appreciate the help!

Best,
Abe

gr8fulabe
12-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi all,
Both sets of the split rims are now sold. But I know that someone out there wants to buy my Tranny/transfer....!

Hulk
12-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks Matt, for forwarding my contact info. I have been super busy &/or out of town for the last three weeks & haven't been online for personal use in forever. I appreciate the help!

Best,
Abe

You're welcome! Thanks for posting these here!