PDA

View Full Version : Question for you smart guys

Nemo
10-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Looking at a vehicle and the owner told me that they ran 1/2 tank to full tank of leaded gas in their unleaded vehicle. Only thing I think it would hurt in this scenario is the catalytic converter is "done"? Would the O2 Sensors also be done / fried as well or would the cat only need to be replaced to pass emissions assuming all else if fine?

Truck still runs fine but I want to make sure I am not looking at other long term problems associated with that goof.

AxleIke
10-20-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm impressed they found leaded gas.

Hulk
10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Can't imagine that a single tank would do that much damage. But what do I know?

DaveInDenver
10-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Can't imagine that a single tank would do that much damage. But what do I know?
That would have been my thought. Didn't say specifically what he's looking at, but my guess is that a 22R-E, 3FE, 1FZ, etc. era engine could care less about 1/2 a tank of leaded fuel. Can't imagine a tank of decent quality leaded gas being any worse than something you might get in Mexico or goodness knows where else the first and second gen EFI trucks might be now. Leaded gas isn't gonna kill the engine, but might foul a couple of parts. If anything, the off chance that an O2 or cat is ruined will be offset by the increase in life you'll give the valves after a nice coat of lead.

Uncle Ben
10-20-2008, 06:30 PM
It would definately plug the Cat solid and possibly contaminate the o2 sensor (s) ahead of the cat (s). I doubt much other damage.

Hulk
10-20-2008, 06:33 PM
It would definately plug the Cat solid and possibly contaminate the o2 sensor (s) ahead of the cat (s). I doubt much other damage.

All that in a single tank of fuel?

Uncle Ben
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
All that in a single tank of fuel?

Possible....not sure how probable...

rover67
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
We've run leaded fuel in race cars quite a bit and the most obvious problem was the fact that over the course of a few races the o2 sensors would go bad. They tended to become "lazy" if that makes sense. We've also run leaded in cars that had cats and gotten away with it (they still passed emissions) for a track day or two. I'd figure if it still passes emissions you're probably good to go.