PDA

View Full Version : Tech Tip of the Month

Bikeman
11-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Just a FYI: Check your bottom knuckle/steering arm bolts every once in a while for the proper torque. Mine weren't loose, but they were not real tight, either. (I haven't retorqued them since the knuckle/birf job).

timmbuck2
11-11-2008, 05:48 PM
yup...or this will happen: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8447

subzali
01-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Also, check your lug nuts periodically. I was going somewhere with my friend and he said, hey are your lug nuts supposed to look like that? They were all loose, probably from when I replaced my brake cylinders, and even though I thought I had tightened them up I guess I hadn't, and the ones I did had loosened as well a little bit.

RicardoJM
01-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Very timely. I found a loose lug nut on my 40 yesterday. :p:

Also, check your lug nuts periodically. I was going somewhere with my friend and he said, hey are your lug nuts supposed to look like that? They were all loose, probably from when I replaced my brake cylinders, and even though I thought I had tightened them up I guess I hadn't, and the ones I did had loosened as well a little bit.

Tch2fly
01-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Just what I would expect from a bunch of loose nuts ....

a bunch of loose nuts

;)

LARGEONE
01-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Just a FYI: Check your bottom knuckle/steering arm bolts every once in a while for the proper torque.

Do you know off hand what the torque on these should be?

Uncle Ben
01-23-2009, 02:39 AM

I was at lunch yesterday in Boulder and as I walked across a parking lot a lady driving a Durango turned left in front of me. As she started moving with her wheels cranked drivers side I heard the rattle of something in her right front hubcap. I yelled at her that something was wrong. Of course she freaked out but she stopped and I told her she needed to check as I thought she had loose lug nuts on that wheel. Sure enough....two nuts were tumbling loose with another about to come off! The remaining two were tight. I offered to help but she was so PO'ed at Discount tire in Boulder that she insisted they come and fix it for her pronto. She was there earlier for a rotate and balance. Wonder if they missed any others?

nuclearlemon
01-23-2009, 09:41 AM
I was at lunch yesterday in Boulder and as I walked across a parking lot a lady driving a Durango turned left in front of me. As she started moving with her wheels cranked drivers side I heard the rattle of something in her right front hubcap. I yelled at her that something was wrong. Of course she freaked out but she stopped and I told her she needed to check as I thought she had loose lug nuts on that wheel. Sure enough....two nuts were tumbling loose with another about to come off! The remaining two were tight. I offered to help but she was so PO'ed at Discount tire in Boulder that she insisted they come and fix it for her pronto. She was there earlier for a rotate and balance. Wonder if they missed any others?

discount did the same thing to me when i had the exploder. :rant:

Red_Chili
01-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I always watch the Discount guys torque my wheels, so no worries there.

The fruits of compulsiveness. :lmao:

HOWEVER, under the category of lapses of compulsiveness, we bring you the tech tip of THIS week:

Check your toe-in frequently, with a tape measure.

DAMHIK. :rant: :rolleyes:

Rzeppa
01-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Check your toe-in frequently, with a tape measure.

Why? I have over a half million miles on various Land Cruisers and have never had toe-in change after initial setting. I've seen a few bent relay rods and broken tie rod ends on various occasions, and when Perry broke his idler on his IFS Runner in the Rock Garden on Spring Creek he had some awesome toe-out, but other than that I haven't experienced where that's something that needs to be checked routinely.

timmbuck2
01-23-2009, 05:55 PM
discount did the same thing to me when i had the exploder. :rant:

A year ago I removed all 4 locking lug nuts on my 80 and replaced them with regular ones. Discount somehow managed to put 2 locking lugnuts BACK on my 80 when I had the new tires out on....and then charged me $5 each to break them off when I went back to complain.....