PDA

View Full Version : Cruiser Sighting - Nay?

Crash
11-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Suz, the dogs and I went to White Ranch Park near Christo's shop and saw a white 80 with tube front bumper parked near the gate. I'm guessing Nay's. I'm also guessing that you were with the guys doing the bicycle foto shoot near the parking lot? TRD Taco was there in the lot too.

nakman
11-13-2008, 04:46 PM
White 80 + bikes? Sounds like Bikeman... what kind of shocks did it have? ;)

nuclearlemon
11-13-2008, 05:03 PM
i don't think nay's is white anymore. i think he bedlined it green.

Bikeman
11-13-2008, 05:29 PM
It was me, in the blue riding jersey. Nay's rig is ruined in avacado dressing. :hill: I came down and passed you guys right after the creek crossing at the bottom. I saw that your wife had a teq hat on. The guys in the photo shoot were from Pearlizumi.

I was in the area picking up my DC rear driveshaft from Slee and played hooky for the second day in a row. Got to milk it while the weather is good! Unbelievable being able to ride in shorts mid-November! Rode Deer Creek on Wednesday, rode the singletrack in Castle Pines on Monday.

Crash
11-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Okay, Mike, glad to see you on the trail even though we didn't know each other. That was our snorkled 40th Anniversary in the parking lot. Yeah, shorts and a t-shirt would have been plenty on the way up the trail. Beautiful day for playing hooky!

Bikeman
11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Boy, that is a clean 40th 80-series! I should have stopped you guys to chat.

Nay
11-14-2008, 08:56 AM
You would have known if it was me :hill:

LandBruiser
11-16-2008, 09:26 AM
You would have known if it was me :hill:

Boooooo! Nay, what happened to all the Trxus hype and praise:blah:? Selling out to the toyos? haha

How do you like em compared?

I am thinking of throwing on a 17 or 20" rim with 38.5 trxus for a on road tire.

on a side note I spray painted my whole rig (ARB, sliders, rear bumpers) flat white like your stinger was. Your avacado looks crazy!

Uncle Ben
11-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Boooooo! Nay, what happened to all the Trxus hype and praise:blah:? Selling out to the toyos? haha

How do you like em compared?

I am thinking of throwing on a 17 or 20" rim with 38.5 trxus for a on road tire.

on a side note I spray painted my whole rig (ARB, sliders, rear bumpers) flat white like your stinger was. Your avacado looks crazy!

I thought the same but let him miserate by himself. ;) :lmao: I'm sure Nay now enjoys road manners and corner stability that he forgot about. Nay probably also wonders why his truck is lacking performance both on highway and off. Nay also has been humbled a couple times when he has tried to do an obstacle he has done easily in the past and now finds his truck searching out different lines. The next time Nay plays in the deep snow hopefully his wife will be there as he breaks down and bawls uncontrolably wondering why he just spent so much money on tires that lack the performance he is used to. Fortunately, Nay will drive home on the highway after his adventure and forget all that just made him distraught as his truck gently cradles him home with that comforting sound of 5000 bumble bees in a coffee can.... ;) :lmao::lmao::hill:

Nay
11-17-2008, 08:49 AM
I thought the same but let him miserate by himself. ;) :lmao: I'm sure Nay now enjoys road manners and corner stability that he forgot about. Nay probably also wonders why his truck is lacking performance both on highway and off. Nay also has been humbled a couple times when he has tried to do an obstacle he has done easily in the past and now finds his truck searching out different lines. The next time Nay plays in the deep snow hopefully his wife will be there as he breaks down and bawls uncontrolably wondering why he just spent so much money on tires that lack the performance he is used to. Fortunately, Nay will drive home on the highway after his adventure and forget all that just made him distraught as his truck gently cradles him home with that comforting sound of 5000 bumble bees in a coffee can.... ;) :lmao::lmao::hill:

Yea, the Toyos suck :D

It's funny the love/hate following the Toyo has received, it's basically an MTR knockoff with a proven sidewall and high end production quality. They are as advertised.

I decided I wanted to compare against the trxus since I had only run that tire for the last five years. I like the width of the Toyos, I think the 80 does well with a wider tire (they will rub a bit though) and I liked them in the dry rocks/sand of OCG. The trxus are definitely a lot quieter, Toyos are hugely rounder and it is easy to forget how nice that is. Trxus I think track better, to be honest.

Deep snow will be interesting (road snow good so far). I plan to groove them if I find some conditions where they are unfavorable. There is a sipe in the inner tread block that goes halfway through that would be a perfect line to groove, and the outer blocks could be grooved as well. I think this would make the big tread blocks more flexible while adding a ton of lateral traction, and it might make them a bit quieter, too. Siping could be added to this approach. Grooving knives are pretty inexpensive.

Given the KM2 is basically a grooved thread design, this could yield some interesting results with the Toyo.

Still love the trxus, wish a major manufacturer produced that tread design so you could get round as part of the package without giving up quiet :hill: