PDA

View Full Version : Arapahoe Cyclery

Hulk
11-17-2008, 12:27 AM
This weekend, I visited RS member Mike Maxwell at his bicycle shop, Arapahoe Cyclery (http://www.arapahoecyclery.com/). It's really a nice store! It's one of the bigger bike shops in the area, with a lot of bikes assembled and ready for a test ride. I was impressed.

The shop is in the shopping center behind CarQuest on Broadway, right next to the big fabric store.

If you're looking for a bike, or service on your existing bike, you should talk to Mike before you wander off to another shop.

RicardoJM
11-17-2008, 08:05 AM
I contacted Mike about building a wheel for me and he was a pleasure to work with. It was very nice to work with someone local who knows their stuff. I've had my wheel a month or so now and couldn't be happier. If you are in need of a bike or bike service, I would encourage you to check Mike's shop out. :thumb:

Azrael
11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
I've never actually shopped there, but I've heard from many avid cyclists that if I ever needed something, that's the place to go.

Red_Chili
11-18-2008, 12:10 PM
It's definitely a better place than, say, the Cyclery named after the city in which I live... south of Denver... starting with L...

Mike is a good guy who knows his stuff and will take care of you.

Rogue Leader
03-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Great guy to deal with, quick repairs, and he carries the only road bikes I ride, Giant.

Bikeman
06-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the plugs. I have and will continue to give significant discounts to anyone I do or do not know in the Toyota community, from bikes to parts and accessories.

thefatkid
06-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Bump for Mike@Arapahoe Cyclery, tons of great info. I felt my needs were met and then exceeded. Thank you for the new bicycle (in a couple of days).

Brian

fubuki
09-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the plugs. I have and will continue to give significant discounts to anyone I do or do not know in the Toyota community, from bikes to parts and accessories.

Mike,

Are you still going to be carrying Giant? I've been spending what little free time I have (Currently in Baghdad) drooling over the 2010 stuff from Interbike. I've got my eye on the 2010 Giant Glory 0.

Jay

FJBRADY
09-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Mike,

Are you still going to be carrying Giant? I've been spending what little free time I have (Currently in Baghdad) drooling over the 2010 stuff from Interbike. I've got my eye on the 2010 Giant Glory 0.

Jay

Jay,

Good looking bike....as far as I know Mike still carries Giant. I bought a bike off him early spring this year, Mike is excellent to work with and highly recommended.

Be safe in Bagdad! Let's go wheeling when you get back :thumb:

Bikeman
09-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Mike,

Jay

We are still heavy with Giant, even though we brought on Trek and Fisher. I rode the 2010 Glory 0 at Keystone in early August, all 37 lbs (light) of it!

I want to thank all that have patronized my shop. I have no less than 4 guys coming in from Burt (Groove) on their lunch breaks or after work multiple times a week thanks to Justin (Squishy!) and others referring people.

I will continue to give sustantial discounts to those in the club, or those that are also Toy freaks and Cruiserheads not in the club. The discounts are above and beyond what the general public would get , such as during or fall and winter promos going on right now.

fubuki
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Jay,

Good looking bike....as far as I know Mike still carries Giant. I bought a bike off him early spring this year, Mike is excellent to work with and highly recommended.

Be safe in Bagdad! Let's go wheeling when you get back :thumb:

Every other vehicle over here is a Land Cruiser. If it wasn't for the oppressive heat and rocket attacks, this place might not be too bad.

Didn't you crack the frame on your 40? That's hardcore cred right there. Hope it's back up and running. We'll definitely get some runs in when I get back. Should be back in February.

fubuki
09-30-2009, 09:52 AM
We are still heavy with Giant, even though we brought on Trek and Fisher. I rode the 2010 Glory 0 at Keystone in early August, all 37 lbs (light) of it!

Thanks Mike. I don't get back until Febraury, but hopefully I can a demo ride on one sometime next spring. Don't really need it until next summer though.

jettaglxdriver
09-30-2009, 01:14 PM
I need to come in an see you about clipless and shoes. I am currently just using pedals and street shoes and after my last long MTB ride my left heel hurt for days. I have read this is from pedal position/ergonomics.

fubuki
10-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Mike,

PM sent.

Bikeman
10-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Check the website for our fall promotions for X-Mas lay-away, or whenever! RS members get an additional discount on top of the promos. Everything is on sale, 2009 and 2010 bikes are 10-20% off before club discount, including Lake shoes at 35% off.

We have interest-free financing from 3 to 12 months as well.

nakman
11-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Oh sure the one week I'm down south and you've got the day off.. :rolleyes:

Still a great experience though, and I think Santa figured out the right bike to get for Gavin. :thumb:

Bikeman
12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I am closing out all remaining Diamondback and Raleigh bikes. Mostly they are kids bikes in single gear and multispeed from 12" to 24" wheels, including BMX bikes. Great for X-mas!

The closeout prices are my cost plus 10%, which would even beat Dick's or Sports Unauthority's prices on D Backs!

Bikeman
12-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks Steve (FJBRADY) and Jeff (Corsair23)!

What's better than a new bike under the X-mas tree?:thumb:

nakman
12-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Mike are you going to be in the shop this Friday or Saturday? 12/18-19

Bikeman
12-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, both days.

corsair23
12-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks Mike :thumb:

I'm sure the little :Princess: is going to LOVE it :D

FJBRADY
12-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Your welcome Mike :)

Bikeman
12-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks Nakman!

nakman
12-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Hey thank you! I wish all my shopping experiences were this enjoyable.

fubuki
02-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Mike and his crew are top notch and are highly recommended. He definitely hooked me up getting this bad boy. Looks pretty good on the back of the cruiser too.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4-6t5A0UrKw/S23N9V182KI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/jMEZBLaVcts/s800/DSC00640.JPG

thefatkid
02-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Mike and his crew are top notch and are highly recommended. He definitely hooked me up getting this bad boy. Looks pretty good on the back of the cruiser too.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4-6t5A0UrKw/S23N9V182KI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/jMEZBLaVcts/s800/DSC00640.JPG

That Glory is hot! I want one.

fubuki
02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
That Glory is hot! I want one.

Can't wait to actually ride it.

Gmann
02-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Thats sweet. Mike mentioned he recently sold a Glory.

Bikeman
11-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Once again we are offering holiday bike deals as well as accessories to RS'ers that are better than what's offered to the general public. The deals this fall are more aggressive than last year, to help us get a better start to Spring 2011.

The brands are the best: Trek, Gary Fisher, and Giant.

Thanks to all who have referred others and/or made a purchase in the past!

fubuki
11-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Are you trying to convince me to buy another bike?

Bikeman
11-10-2010, 09:10 AM
One cannot have too many bikes...

You are still lacking a bike that you can ride to work, when you get back to the states. Something like a 16 lb. Giant TCX Advanced SL: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/tcx.advanced.sl/7505/44075/.

You can still ride mostly dirt from your house to Waterton via Chatfield State park. Heck, I've had mine on singletrack already.

Hulk
11-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Dude, that's a $6,000 bike. You can buy an 80 for that now. :confuse2:

I need to come by and size a new bike for my 9-year-old daughter. Do you have any girly bikes in blue, purple or pink?

fubuki
11-11-2010, 01:04 AM
One cannot have too many bikes...

You are still lacking a bike that you can ride to work, when you get back to the states. Something like a 16 lb. Giant TCX Advanced SL: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/tcx.advanced.sl/7505/44075/.

You can still ride mostly dirt from your house to Waterton via Chatfield State park. Heck, I've had mine on singletrack already.

That is a nice bike, but imagine what I could do to the hundy with that cash. :thumb:

Bikeman
11-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Dude, that's a $6,000 bike. You can buy an 80 for that now. :confuse2:

I need to come by and size a new bike for my 9-year-old daughter. Do you have any girly bikes in blue, purple or pink?

Yes! We have received our new inventory of 24" wheeled kid's mountain bikes from Trek and Giant. Adding in the 2010's still left from last year gives more color options as well.

Gerdo
11-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Always nice to know the owners of small businesses, not that owning a bike shop is that small of a venture.

I'm going to have to stop by and say hello the next time I'm in the area.

Bikeman
12-19-2010, 01:39 PM
It's now one week before Christmas. I will make any club member or referred person a smokin' deal on a bike 'til the end of the month! Remember Toyotas are not the only thing that can go off road!

We also have tons of accessories like helmets, especially kid's helmets, that a 25% discount wil apply to.

smslavin
12-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Dude, that's a $6,000 bike.

And it's got that crummy Dura-Ace stuff on it. It'd be a better bike with a Record groupo but I may be biased. :D

Do you have any track bikes?

Bikeman
12-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Nothing in stock for track bikes, sorry. I can order in Giant's Omnium and the Track T-1 from Trek.

treerootCO
12-19-2010, 04:31 PM
I have been out of the market for years. Are there any mountain and/or road bikes still made in the US? Looking to buy both eventually. Components that are designed to last more than a year would be a plus. When I used to ride, all of the pieces seemed to be designed to wear out.

Bikeman
12-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Nothing is made here unless you want a custom titanium or steel frame. Components will last if you pony up for the race-level stuff, but like with anything, there are parts that are designed to wear out/have a finite product life cycle tied in with rider weight/style/abuse.

There is no way something could be made here, component-wise, and be price competive and affordable. Nothing beats Shimano XT or Ultegra(road), made in japan.

art hog
12-19-2010, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=Bikeman;170619]Nothing is made here unless you want a custom titanium or steel frame.

Can't go wrong with a Lenz sport. Made in Ft lupton. stock or custom 29er or 26" Aluminum. DAMHIK.

rover67
12-19-2010, 07:33 PM
and Chris King stuff for Hubs, BB, Headset.. but I don't know what you'd do for derrailuers/chain/shifters. seems like all of that stuff is only imported.

Are there any domestically manufactured cranksets? Pedals?

smslavin
12-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Nothing is made here unless you want a custom titanium or steel frame.

Serotta. :thumb: Best road frame I've ever owned and I've been through a lot of them.

What about SRAM? Aren't they US built? They used to be when they were known as GripShift. RaceFace is US too, isn't it? Crank Brothers? I know Speedplay builds their pedals in the US.

smslavin
12-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Nothing in stock for track bikes, sorry. I can order in Giant's Omnium and the Track T-1 from Trek.

Thanks. Once we get settled in the area, I'll come down to see you.

Bikeman
12-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Serotta. :thumb: Best road frame I've ever owned and I've been through a lot of them.

What about SRAM? Aren't they US built? They used to be when they were known as GripShift. RaceFace is US too, isn't it? Crank Brothers? I know Speedplay builds their pedals in the US.

All of the Sram stuff is made in Taiwan or China. Even their XX/Red stuff. Crank bros. and Race Face is Asia, too. Their top crank may still be made in Canada, but my Race Face Deus cranks in a newer edition are Asian, old ones were made in Canada. I do think the Speedplay stuff is still made here.

DaveInDenver
12-20-2010, 12:54 PM
It's true that most large company (Trek, Specialized, Giant, GT/Schwinn) production, off the shelf bikes at $3000 (complete) or less come from overseas. IMVHO there is nothing wrong with imported bikes from Taiwan since they are modern, good quality and use fair trade practices.

Made in USA:
Waterford/Gunnar
Intense
Titus
Workman (since 1898 in NYC, in the same building even!)
Independent Fab
Seven
Turner
Lenz Sport
Moots
Sinister
Retrotec
Serotta
Van Dessel
Lynskey
Ventana
Foes
Soulcraft

Some companies made high end here (and I will include Canada)
Trek (high end and OCLV)
DeVinci
Rocky Mountain
Norco

FWIW, Fox shocks are all still made in California. Also Niterider, Princeton Tec, Turbocat lights are made here in the USA still.

http://www.2011.handmadebicycleshow.com/
http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328
http://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questions.php?questionid=90

Gmann
01-14-2011, 07:01 PM
It's true that most large company (Trek, Specialized, Giant, GT/Schwinn) production, off the shelf bikes at $3000 (complete) or less come from overseas. IMVHO there is nothing wrong with imported bikes from Taiwan since they are modern, good quality and use fair trade practices.

Made in USA:
Waterford/Gunnar
Intense
Titus
Workman (since 1898 in NYC, in the same building even!)
Independent Fab
Seven
Turner
Lenz Sport
Moots
Sinister
Retrotec
Serotta
Van Dessel
Lynskey
Ventana
Foes
Soulcraft

Some companies made high end here (and I will include Canada)
Trek (high end and OCLV)
DeVinci
Rocky Mountain
Norco

FWIW, Fox shocks are all still made in California. Also Niterider, Princeton Tec, Turbocat lights are made here in the USA still.

http://www.2011.handmadebicycleshow.com/
http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328
http://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questions.php?questionid=90

Dont forget YETI CYCLES.
Made right here in Golden. Their 575 is made over seas however. I have owned two of these. I have spoken with Chris (CEO) about this matter and the only reason they do is based on sheer volume. They simply cannot keep up with demand for that frame. Their welder went over to China and taught two welders over there how to duplicate the welds. All other bikes made by Yeti are still made in Golden, CO. Anyone that rides should stop by for a shop tour. The guys are great and would b more than willing to show you around.

rover67
01-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Dont forget YETI CYCLES.
Made right here in Golden. Their 575 is made over seas however. I have owned two of these. I have spoken with Chris (CEO) about this matter and the only reason they do is based on sheer volume. They simply cannot keep up with demand for that frame. Their welder went over to China and taught two welders over there how to duplicate the welds. All other bikes made by Yeti are still made in Golden, CO. Anyone that rides should stop by for a shop tour. The guys are great and would b more than willing to show you around.

Yeah, Spot kinda sold out too.

But i guess their overseas experiment went so poorly they brought a lot of it back.

A lot of the frames are still welded here although they really don't offer a bare single speed frame (no cable lugs, ect.). But I guess not too many folks here or in general care about single speed, so a frame set up for gears works for them now.

Convert
03-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Mike
Do you have any cruiser style bikes in a man's 3 speed ?

BreckBJ44
04-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Mike,

Thanks again for the stuff the other day... I will be down there next weekend and will bring a few bikes by for some tunes. Can you guys work on vintage campy? That and my creaking BB on the mountain bike that we spoke about are my priorities right now. Actually, my Litespeed could use a tune too so maybe I'll drop them all off and get the whole stable back up to speed!

Oh, and here's a bump!

K

Bikeman
04-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Kraig,

We have and can work on everything. Between Greg and I, we have 45 years experience working in shops.

Dan,

I have trek Pure DLX 3 speed cruisers in stock. You might check them out. They are not retro, but pretty cool and VERY light.

Bikeman
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Well, it's that time of the year to offer RS'ers and any Toyota enthusiasts special deals on bikes and accessories for the holidays that the general public won't get. PM, call, or stop by.

Uncle Ben
12-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Well, it's that time of the year to offer RS'ers and any Toyota enthusiasts special deals on bikes and accessories for the holidays that the general public won't get. PM, call, or stop by.

Been looking at 29ers. Whatch got in mutispeeds?

Bikeman
12-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Between Trek (Gary Fisher Collection) and Giant, I have about 40 29ers on the floor in all sizes, from hard tail to dual suspension.

Uncle Ben
12-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Between Trek (Gary Fisher Collection) and Giant, I have about 40 29ers on the floor in all sizes, from hard tail to dual suspension.

Looking at hardtail aluminum hydro disks. I like the Cobia a lot but really want a tad bit more relaxed riding position and I'm not a fan of Trek and their price gouging. Haven't looked at Giants yet. Might just pop in!

Bikeman
12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Look at the Giant Talon 0. We can set up any handlebar position to your liking. At least with most 29ers the handlebars will be up higher for more comfort until you get into the comp ready geometries on the higher end models.

Trek will come in at a higher price for sure. Afterall, Giant makes the majority of Trek anyway. Trek is their biggest customer, $400 million last year.

So with Giant, one of the middlemen has been taken out. I will say you'll have a 5% premium for the name and the Specialized brand, 10-15%. (We sold Specialized from 1986 to 2002).

Bikeman
10-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Well, once again, it's that time of the year to offer RS'ers and any Toyota enthusiasts special deals on bikes and accessories for the holidays that the general public won't get. PM, call, or stop by.:D

BreckBJ44
10-21-2012, 02:24 AM
Mike, great job on the litespeed! You built the wheels on the steelie so well I didn't miss it at all!

See you soon! time for some new pedals.

nakman
12-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Mike, thanks again for your time & info on the phone today! :beer2: