PDA

View Full Version : Hola from Peru

sno bored
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Just a quick background of why Im down here. I just turned 40 earlier this year and tried to have a midlife crisis. Most guys divorce their wife and buy a fancy sports car. I dont have a wife, and already have my dream car, my 80. So I cut my hair and decided to have an adventure. My parents lived in Lima Peru teaching English for a year and half after leaving Ireland, before coming to the US. One of my aunts from Ireland is a nun and she worked in Lima Peru for 20 years. My aunt will be visiting Lima the same time I will be here, so I will get to see her. I have always wanted to see Peru, so this is my chance.

I am currently in Iquitos, Peru. It is the largest city in the world not connected by road. The only ways in are by boat on the Amazon, or to fly. I flew in. There are 500,00 people in the city. 95% of the vehicles are motorcyles or motocabs, a three wheel motorcycle with a 2-3 person seat on back. There is a building here that was built by the guy who built the Eiffel tower in France. It was shipped up the Amazon by boat about 100 years ago. The tempurature here is 90 during the day, 70 at night with about 90% humidity. I will be spending the next 4 days in the jungle. 2 days at a small village on the Amazon, and 2 days camping in the jungle. I hope to see pink river dolphins, piranah, and lots of jungle creatures. If you never hear from me again, you know something ate me.

Romer
11-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Kevin, sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Make sure you take pictures.

Please write a note on your camera in case your eaten "If found please e-mail pictures to my buddies on risingsun4x4.org" :D Try and take a picture so we can see what gets you.

Hope you have a blast and the rest of us over 40 guys with wives and kids are living through you.

rover67
11-17-2008, 02:13 PM
sounds awesome.... really really cool.

keep us up to date if youcan!

Hulk
11-17-2008, 03:30 PM
That sounds really cool. Here's a link (http://www.galenfrysinger.com/iquitos.htm) to the building by Eiffel in Iquitos (for everyone else, not Kevin).

bh4rnnr
11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Looking forward to more updates and pictures Kevin!

Hope you enjoy the jungle:cool::cheers:

Jenny Cruiser
11-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Very cool. Are you planning a hike up to Machu Pichu? I doubt I spelled that right.:hill:

sno bored
11-25-2008, 06:09 PM
I survived the jungle trip, the only thing that ate me were the mosquitos. We spent two nights in the village and one night sleeping in tents. I caught piranahs, and ate many of them. I ate a grub in the jungle that looked like a large catapilar. We caught cayman and a huge bullfrog, and let them go. I saw lots of pink river dolphins. I didnt see any giant river otters. I did two Ayahuasca ceremonies with shamen. Ayahuasca is called vine of the soul and has been used by the locals forever. It was an incredible experience. I just arrived in Cusco today, and I will start a 4 day trek on the Inca trail on the 28th. For Thanksgiving I may try Cuy, a local favorite. Cuy is guinea pig, you can pick your own out at some places, like you pick a lobster. I am still trying to attach pictures, but it is difficult trying it in espanol. I tried some cocoa leaves today, they are supposed to help with the altitude, but the elevation here is about the same as Breckenridge, so ʹm not having much of a problem. Until next time. Adios, Kevin

sno bored
11-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Very cool. Are you planning a hike up to Machu Pichu? I doubt I spelled that right.:hill:
I forgot to add that the Inca trail is a 27 mile hike to Machu Picchu. I am staying the night in the town below MP so I can head up for a second day of exploring there.

Tch2fly
11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a great trip, I loved my time down there. Coca tea is your friend ;)

I forgot to add that the Inca trail is a 27 mile hike to Machu Picchu. I am staying the night in the town below MP so I can head up for a second day of exploring there.

Try to catch the first bus up to the site ... it is the best time to see it and no crowds (most of them come by the train and won't be there until noonish).

If the Inca Trail hasn't been enough hiking for you (and it may be ;)) the hike up Huayna Picchu is not too bad and well worth the effort. The short hike to the Inca bridge is good too.

Good luck on the guinea pig, I've eaten and enjoyed a lot of crazy stuff ... that is one I won't do again:eek:

farnhamstj
11-25-2008, 07:11 PM
It's amazing what they can do by processing those coca leaves in a place where anything they might cut it with cost more than the base product.

sno bored
11-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Farnham, I emailed your buddy KB, and it looks like he will be in the Vail area while Im in his area.

farnhamstj
11-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, bad timing. I spoke with him today. Have a great time there. If you get the oportunity and are comfortable on a motorcycle you might rent a 250cc from Carlos in Cusco. Man I wish I was there. I hit up Vail the last couple of days. Who was that white rapper? oh yeah Vanilla Ice... His music was better then the conditions today.

sno bored
12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
I survived the Inca trail, 4 days of hiking. One of the passes was about 13,000 feet. I spent 2 days at Machu Pucchu, and climbed a peak across from Machu Picchu for some great views. Farnham, I had lunch at KBs place yesterday and left a note for him. Weather is about 75 degrees today, and sunny. I will spend a couple of more days in Cusco, and then head down to Puno/ Lake Titticaca. CRUISER CONTENT I ran into a couple yesterday who are traveling the world in their cruiser. It is some kind of deisel 70 series with a cool camper built on the back. I took a picture, that I cant post right now, but I will once Im back in the US. I gave them info on IH8MUD, so they may check it out. Ill post up again some time soon. Im having a great time and may not come back to the US.