PDA

View Full Version : 3FE Power Steering Pump

Cheeseman
11-19-2008, 05:58 PM
I can only tolerate so many noises on my '89 FJ 62. And the increased level in the PS pump is now to much. Any one got one. I don't know what is interchangeable.

Thanks
________
Anime cartoon (http://www.****tube.com/categories/103/cartoon/videos/1)

Uncle Ben
11-19-2008, 06:39 PM
I can only tolerate so many noises on my '89 FJ 62. And the increased level in the PS pump is now to much. Any one got one. I don't know what is interchangeable.

Thanks

You're gonna laugh but there is an old TSB on the old style pumps. Dump a cap full of Downey Fabric softener in the reservoir! Seriously! I did it on a couple of mine in the past and it works amazingly well! What do you have to lose....you plan on changing it now! :cool:

Crash
11-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Have you ever flushed out what's in the pump since you've had the truck Greg? If it is red ATF then the flush might not do any good but if it is grey/green "power steering fluid" a flush may do some good. No interchanges that I'm aware of.

Cheeseman
11-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Actually I did one from the old yard on east colfax we use to go to before it was bought out. So this used one has about 5 years on it. Don't know how many before that. The only thing that was hard was trying to get the "new" pump primed when it was fired up. It squealed quite abit until I could get to fill up.

I'll check the fluid tomorrow. See about flushing from there. And then maybe the Downer. Gotta wonder what's in there that keeps my skivvies soft and keeps my truck running all at the same time.
________
Michigan medical marijuana (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

MDH33
11-20-2008, 08:07 AM
The pump on my 60 failed last spring. OEM replacement was hugely expensive, but I didn't want to replace it with another used unit that would end up failing again and leaking fluid on my new (also hugely expensive) OEM smog pump.

It's really hard to purge the pumps of air after a flush but I devised a method. The FSM and threads I found on MUD were both wrong about how to flush/fill/purge. Most of the info I found said to run the engine while adding the fluid, but running the engine to spin the pump for even short bursts will drain the reservoir faster than you can fill it, re-introducing air. There were also threads on MUD suggesting to rotate the pump pulley manually. This is not enough to move the fluid/air through the system.

My method:

First attached a long clear tube to the return line and put that in a large container to catch the fluid as it comes out (it comes out fast). Cap the return inlet on the reservoir.

The pumps can drain down the reservoir faster than you can pour fluid in if it's cranking. So, disconnect your coil so that you can crank the engine over with the starter, but not allow it to start. 1 or 2 seconds of cranking is what you need as you add fluid to the reservoir. Don't let the reservoir empty. have someone crank the starter (one or two seconds at a time) while you add fluid. Keep an eye on your catch container and clear tube. when there are no longer air bubbles in the line and only clean fluid is coming out, you're done. I used three or four quarts of ATF to accomplish this.

I would try the flush before replacing, unless your pump is leaking.

:cheers:

nuclearlemon
11-20-2008, 08:13 AM
if ya need some downey, i've got a bottle left from my downey trick:D let me know and i'll bring it to the meeting

Uncle Ben
11-20-2008, 08:50 AM
if ya need some downey, i've got a bottle left from my downey trick:D let me know and i'll bring it to the meeting

Did it work for you?

nuclearlemon
11-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Did it work for you?

it did quiet the pump down... unfortunately, the pump was squealing because it was bad

Cheeseman
11-21-2008, 10:08 AM
So back to original question. Does anyone have one? I will do some of the other stuff today or tomorrow and we'll see what happens. But I still might just replace it.
________
Ferrari fxx (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_FXX)

PabloCruise
11-28-2008, 06:14 AM
Greg,

Did you find one? I had a core sitting around for few years that I tore into back in the spring.

When I tore into it I found rust...

I put it in the solvent tank and have forgotten aout it.

Let me know!

PabloCruise
11-28-2008, 06:15 AM
PS - the pump they put on the pass side of the 3fe is a bit different than the 2F PS pumps.