PDA

View Full Version : Perry and Beer Q

Crash
11-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Got your note on the windshield last night Perry. When I first saw it, I thought it was a parking ticket as the meter had run out about two minutes prior to my getting back to the Cruiser. Was much relieved to find it was from you and I was on my way home for dinner after visiting with former cohorts from Denver Water at the Wynkoop Brewery. Sorry I missed you! While I was there, I had a couple of their cask-brewed IPAs and that brings up a question for the forum to answer. When I ordered the IPA, the server kindly asked to see my ID and I thought she was joking but then remembered that at the pre-Rubithon meeting at the Breckenridge Brewery back in July when I ordered their special IPA I was carded there too. Something about those particular IPAs both being of higher alcohol content than regular brews and a law that requires the server to check IDs because of it. Now that just seems really curious to me. What if you order a Tanqueray (94 proof) instead of a regular gin and tonic, do you get carded for that? No, I don't think so. Anybody know anything about this seemingly arcane law?

DaveInDenver
11-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I remember that and wondered enough to look it up. As I recall I never found anything in the city or state code that required anything beyond checking that you are 21 to consume alcohol. In other words, high octane IPA, double bocks and the like aren't any different than any other spirit or beer. My guess is that they check your ID so as maybe to limit the number they sell to one person because my bet is a fair number of people don't make the distinction between a 5% stout and a 8% IPA or 10% bock, so they'll get more drunk than they expect to.

Anyway, give it whirl looking for yourself if you want.

Denver City Ordinances:
http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=10257&sid=6

Colorado Revised Statutes:
http://www.michie.com/colorado/

bh4rnnr
11-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Got your note on the windshield last night Perry. When I first saw it, I thought it was a parking ticket as the meter had run out about two minutes prior to my getting back to the Cruiser. Was much relieved to find it was from you and I was on my way home for dinner after visiting with former cohorts from Denver Water at the Wynkoop Brewery. Sorry I missed you! While I was there, I had a couple of their cask-brewed IPAs and that brings up a question for the forum to answer. When I ordered the IPA, the server kindly asked to see my ID and I thought she was joking but then remembered that at the pre-Rubithon meeting at the Breckenridge Brewery back in July when I ordered their special IPA I was carded there too. Something about those particular IPAs both being of higher alcohol content than regular brews and a law that requires the server to check IDs because of it. Now that just seems really curious to me. What if you order a Tanqueray (94 proof) instead of a regular gin and tonic, do you get carded for that? No, I don't think so. Anybody know anything about this seemingly arcane law?

Sorry I missed you Steve, maybe next time. As for your Q, no it's not the higher alcohol content, they just card everybody, unless you live there:eek:.

P.S, you should try the Anniversery Ale. A 9.7 alcohol content...