PDA

View Full Version : Jones Pass

nakman
11-23-2008, 06:09 PM
I went up Jones Pass today in search of some snow to hike around on. Had to drive up a bit, but eventually the dirt patches ended and the road was all hardpack. But I was surprised to see that two spurs that I'd (we'd) driven previously are now closed. That fun "shortcut" off to the left that meets up with the pass road further up is closed (yes the one where Cardinal slid back into that Chevy truck). Also that little spur up the valley off to the right where we did the cookout that same year is now closed.

I didn't think either area was that well used, or abused. Today I saw maybe 4 other x-country skiers, and 3 snow mobilers, everyone seemed to be behaving just fine. But with those two other areas closed, it's now just the pass road that you can be on, so I guess we won't be having any more spooky night runs up there.. :( I don't know when this happened, I didn't even make it up there this summer but today it was kind of a bummer, that little road to the left was kind of fun, and there was great camping up the road to the right, I've always liked that place. I'm sure I've got pictures of enjoying both, maybe I'll dig some up later when I get on the other computer.

But I know several of you have been up there with me and will know exactly where I'm talking about.. hope you enjoyed your last trip on both areas.

Uncle Ben
11-23-2008, 07:02 PM
That is a bummer! I rememeber being able to take several trails that inter connected on Berthoud Pass many years ago! That whole area is pretty locked down anymore....doubt it will get much better any time soon! :(

MDH33
11-23-2008, 07:15 PM
What a drag.

The irony is that we can't even drive on roads/trails, meanwhile, the Henderson mine is right there taking down an entire mountain... and have you seen their waste/slag piles on the other end of their tunnel North East of Silverthorne. :rant:

nakman
11-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Here's that cool camping area that's closed now.. these pics from July 2007.

nakman
11-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Couldn't find any good ones of that other road, here's one from 2005's spooky night run "prerun," where a fallen tree was winched aside.

Red_Chili
11-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Give Brant Wobig a call at Clear Creek RD. Give him heck and ask why they were closed. You gotta do NEPA to close a trail these days.

nakman
11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Isn't he the one we work with on Argentine? If that's the case we can just ask him in person next time.

And I had this picture from night run planning in 2005.. the spur at the top that goes to the "cookout site" is the one where I was camping above. Then the first half of the red circle is that shortcut road that's closed now..

DaveInDenver
11-24-2008, 12:12 PM
My understanding was that most of the Butler Gulch trail is on private property owned by Climax Mining. From the gate just past the fork off the main road to Jones Pass was where I was told it is private. A couple of years ago the Henderson Mine people stopped plowing the road up to the parking lot, which made a few people upset in the winter. There is a small parking lot just east of the Henderson Mine gate where people park now and I stopped going up in the winter to ski on the weekends because it that.