PDA

View Full Version : Chili shoes

Red_Chili
11-24-2008, 08:18 AM
So what kinda shoes should I get for the Mighty Red Chili this time?
I have maybe 5K miles left on the MT/Rs and the Goodyear store that used to take care of me closed.
Kinda leaning toward BFG MTs, KM2. Tuff looking tires. Leaning toward 37" but they ain't available in 15s. Do NOT be telling me to get 16s or 17s in this economic climate. Usage is highway and trail mixed, I like a trail bias but don't want to have to replace them in 20K miles.

What say you?

Uncle Ben
11-24-2008, 08:23 AM
So what kinda shoes should I get for the Mighty Red Chili this time?
I have maybe 5K miles left on the MT/Rs and the Goodyear store that used to take care of me closed.
Kinda leaning toward BFG MTs, KM2. Tuff looking tires. Leaning toward 37" but they ain't available in 15s. Do NOT be telling me to get 16s or 17s in this economic climate. Usage is highway and trail mixed, I like a trail bias but don't want to have to replace them in 20K miles.

What say you?

Bill, It's to bad our off sets are so different or I would switch with you far a week or two so you could try before you buy. I would rate the KM2's higher than the MTR's in some areas about equal in the others.

Red_Chili
11-24-2008, 09:14 AM
What kind of wear are you getting out of them?

bh4rnnr
11-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I've been thinking about the BFG KM2's as well since my MTR's are on there last tread. Looks like they now have the KM2 in 33x12.50 size:cool:

AxleIke
11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Interco and Goodyear seem to be the only companies putting out a 37 with a 15.

Not sure how you are on something like an IROK, which will give you a BIG trail bias, not so awesome on the road.

BFG isn't making the KM2 in a 37 and a 15.

The trend is to 17's. Sucks, but that seems to the the way it is.

I guess I'd suggest staying with a 35, since you're options open up GREATLY for a 15 inch rim in that size.

Good luck!

AxleIke
11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I've been thinking about the BFG KM2's as well since my MTR's are on there last tread. Looks like they now have the KM2 in 33x12.50 size:cool:

Also a 33x10.50.

Red_Chili
11-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Interco ...Not sure how you are on something like an IROK, which will give you a BIG trail bias...
Not a chance.

BFG isn't making the KM2 in a 37 and a 15.

Not yet anyways. I've got some time...

AxleIke
11-24-2008, 02:50 PM
In an email to BFG, I inquired about both a 37x12.50R15, and a 35x10.50R15. I was told neither size would be produced. I hope that they do, but I doubt it. We'll see.

Nay
11-24-2008, 03:11 PM
1) Stay on 35's - I would want a 17" rim for 37's for a dual purpose rig.

2) Wait for good winter reports on the KM2 before buying if winter performance matters to you. The tread design does not look promising in that regard.

Bikeman
11-24-2008, 03:37 PM
1) Stay on 35's - I would want a 17" rim for 37's for a dual purpose rig.

2) Wait for good winter reports on the KM2 before buying if winter performance matters to you. The tread design does not look promising in that regard.

Hard to go 17's when you've got $$$ wrapped up in beadlocks.

Nay, you're still regretting not getting 37's, so you're talking more people out of it?:D

Bill, 37" MTR's on onlinetires.com: $224ea + shipping.

Nay
11-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Hard to go 17's when you've got $$$ wrapped up in beadlocks.

Nay, you're still regretting not getting 37's, so you're talking more people out of it?:D

It's that tipping scale debate. Any budget issues of starting dominos falling that you don't want to fall means stay smaller.

I wish I had the time/budget to mess with it because I would have liked the output, but I'm glad I didn't because I don't :D

leiniesred
11-24-2008, 04:18 PM
I actually like my IROKS.

They are about as loud as a worn out BFG MT.
Mine have 34,000 miles on them so far, but they are mostly worn out. Not down to the wear bars, but here is a picture to show how much (little?) tread is left.

I ran Independence Trail down in Penrose 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure all 7 of the rigs in our group had IROKS. That is a pretty strong indication of what works on the trail.

My next tires? 37x12.50 IROKS.

corsair23
11-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I really like my Toyo MTs but weight might be an issue for you...Not sure they are available in 15s or not :confused:

On the weight issue. Matt and I weighed our tires when we were swapping back. Mounted my 285 Toyos weighed in at a svelt 86-87lbs :)

Matt's Mickey Thompson MTZs in the studly 315 size weighed in at....87-88lbs. I was pretty surprised but knew why I didn't really notice much difference in my power around town, just the highway.

J Kimmel
11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
can you even get 37 mtrs? How long has it been since you could buy a new set? I really dig the KM's but they are pricey(though I haven't compared tire prices in a long time;)) and I feel your pain with the locks. 17" alloy locks are pricey.

I put more than a few miles on Leinies truck and it really isn't bad at all with the irocs he has, even though he says they are bald :)

Red_Chili
11-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Hmmm... IROKs on the highway pulling a trailer? Just doesn't seem like they would go together.
The IROK's tread composition is a softer yet extremely durable compound that offers spiderman traction offroad especially on the rocks but the softer compound results in a higher wear rate on the paved road. Street manners are not bad if you don't mind some higher speed vibrations due to the large voids.
34K miles??!? Do you have a hamster in your speedo/odo cluster or sumthin'?

Prices seem to range from 203 (eBay) to 294 or so, so right in there with MT/Rs more or less. Friggen WIDE though. Will I ever see 19mpg again? Not to mention rubbage. Ah dunno...

I don't tend to break things (rollovers notwithstanding), so I don't *think* 37s will be awful. Sure, 17" rims would be the shiz, but might not be advi$able. 37s would put the gearing of 5.29s and the R151 to just about perfect with the 3.4.

But then again 35s are fine. And the KM2 looks to be a rocker. Hey UB, so how IS the winter traction?

DaveInDenver
11-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Hey UB, so how IS the winter traction?
That's what I've wondered, how the KM2 does on packed snow roads. The rumor is that they are almost as good as the A/T, which has always worked darn well for me short of actual ice. I'm not sure they could be any worse than the M/T...

J Kimmel
11-25-2008, 08:44 AM
here is your out, Leinies is going to be in the market fairly soon for that tire, you hate em, call him :)

Red_Chili
11-25-2008, 08:50 AM
can you even get 37 mtrs? How long has it been since you could buy a new set? I really dig the KM's but they are pricey(though I haven't compared tire prices in a long time;)) and I feel your pain with the locks.
Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+MT%2FR&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=725PR5WRMTR&fromCompare1=yes&place=0) shows them at $249, in stock.

I had a set replaced under warranty for being out of round once. That would be hard to do with mail order tires. I did like the customer service at the Goodyear store that closed, and the manager was a Toy wheeler (minis of COURSE). Wah.

Oh well, Discount will price match. And then you get the road hazard warranty. Heaven knows we face lots of road hazards these days.

J Kimmel
11-25-2008, 10:11 AM
I didn't know you could actually get them now. I ran a set for a couple of years, I hated the wet traction but they were otherwise a great tire. If I could get those, I'd run them

Nay
11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Good price on those MTR's. That would make it worth it since you already have 5.29's. Prolly under $300/tire out the door at Discount, no issues with the bigger spare, right?

Corbet
11-25-2008, 11:24 AM
what about dick cepek fc2's? kind of in between at & mt but probably better wet and snow traction than anything already mentioned.

or interco truxus

Uncle Ben
11-25-2008, 11:59 AM
what about dick cepek fc2's? kind of in between at & mt but probably better wet and snow traction than anything already mentioned.

or interco truxus

DC FC2's are excellant AT's! I plan on running them as my normal set of tires on the 80. My buds up in SD swear by them for snow/winter driving and great road manners!

I tried three times this morning to give Bill a detail follow up on the KM'2's but my laptop had different ideas and messed with me to where the reply was not posted......rrrrrr I will try again....

Uncle Ben
11-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Hey UB, so how IS the winter traction?
That's what I've wondered, how the KM2 does on packed snow roads. The rumor is that they are almost as good as the A/T, which has always worked darn well for me short of actual ice. I'm not sure they could be any worse than the M/T...

The KM2's have exceeded my expectation on every surface! Rocks they stick like velcro! Mud and snow have surprised me as they pull and push with authority! Up hunting I was the only one unchained on the mountain we were on. I didn't even have the center diff lock engaged until it snowed! One paticular very steep section of the trail used nearly everyday was typical spring fed mountain peat. The chained up guys had a lot of trouble climbing it in the afternoons and the more they tore it up the slicker it got! We hardly ever even slipped a tire in it!!!!! Isaac and Nakman can tell you how my KM2's pull the heavy beast through deep snow! Lateral traction is this tires predictable weakness. Snow isn't as bad as expected but mud makes the vehicle a slot car! The KM2's couldn't climb out of a muddy rut if you hit it diagonally at 60mph! :rolleyes: They are past due for a rotation and balance and they still drive great! The fronts have slight raised forward edges but for the most part are wearing very well! Even with most of the weights scuffed/thrown off they still are very comfortable at 90+ mph! They do need higher inflation on the highway to get decent mileage as the sidewall tech that makes them so grippy on rocks makes the rolling resistance at normal pressure high. The difference in fuel mileage from 35 to 40psi is noticeable! The noise is still the same and still bugs the heck out of me. I think BFG hit on a winning design on these although the lack of lateral traction and highway noise are issues they should have paid attention too!

Red_Chili
11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Well now.
Based on the UB exclamation point scale I would have to say they are worth looking into...
:lmao:

Discount has these at around $216 IIRC.

Going with the 37" MT/Rs, larger spare, won't be an issue with the tire carrier I made.

DaveInDenver
11-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Based on the UB exclamation point scale I would have to say they are worth looking into.
I counted 15 exclamation points...

Red_Chili
11-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I counted 15 exclamation points...
But how many exclamation points are used to describe the mileage/life one gets out of them, I ask you? Just how many?
How many miles does the flying riceburner have on these tires?

Nay
11-25-2008, 02:28 PM
But how many exclamation points are used to describe the mileage/life one gets out of them, I ask you? Just how many?

Care ye that the obvious weakness! of lateral traction plus the obvious need for excellent lateral traction when it is icy! would seem to suggest a potential for sudden losses of traction during the winter commute!?!

BFG KM2 + Indian Summer = :bowdown:

BFG KM2 + Winter Commute = :eek:?!?

Uncle Ben
11-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Not sure you can go off my !'s! ;) I was frustrated because of earlier post failures and everytime I succeeded in getting a sentence written before it disappeared I was excited....thats all! :lmao: ;) :hill:

Red_Chili
11-25-2008, 02:43 PM

but what! say! you! to! this, flyboy?

:rolleyes: :lmao:

Uncle Ben
11-25-2008, 02:44 PM

The flying Riceburner just had it's second oil change since they were installed so I would guesstimate between 6 and 8K! Edges are starting to round but overall tire wear looks acceptable! The beloved Trxus MT's would be half worn out by now! :eek: :hill::hill: Theres 3, no, now 4 more !'s for you! Make that 5.... :p::lmao:

Uncle Ben
11-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Care ye that the obvious weakness! of lateral traction plus the obvious need for excellent lateral traction when it is icy! would seem to suggest a potential for sudden losses of traction during the winter commute!?!

Good synopsis! ;) I'm tempted to take my grooving iron to the sypes and make them deeper and a tad wider but hard to potentially ruin tires I have minimal money to replace right now!

Red_Chili
11-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Sounds like some judicious SIPING!! would do the trick.

!!!!!!!!

DaveInDenver
11-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I hadn't considered placement or exclusion of emphasis. Telling, it is.

Red_Chili
11-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Good synopsis! ;) I'm tempted to take my grooving iron to the sypes and make them deeper and a tad wider but hard to potentially ruin tires I have minimal money to replace right now!
Take 'em to a GOOD Discount Tire (they do exist) and have them minimally sipe the center lugs. My old BFG MTs went from

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

to

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::cheers:

on ice.

I will say though that MT/Rs are awfully darn good in slick conditions as shipped from the factory, especially for an MT style tire. Hmmmm... Hmmm....

This is kinda fun. Keep the o-pinions coming!

Uncle Ben
11-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Take 'em to a GOOD Discount Tire (they do exist) and have them minimally sipe the center lugs. My old BFG MTs went from

to

on ice.

I will say though that MT/Rs are awfully darn good in slick conditions as shipped from the factory, especially for an MT style tire. Hmmmm... Hmmm....

I really like MTR's. I had good luck with them. What I don't like about them is the thin sidewalls and the shortness. I never lost a sidewall on mine but numerous times I was in company of someone on the trail that did. I ran 35's on my 62 spring under because the were the only 35 that was short enough to fit.

Nay
11-26-2008, 08:13 AM

Toyos. They love you long time :lmao:

Uncle Ben
11-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Toyos. They love you long time :lmao:

Meh....poser tires. :p::hill:

Red_Chili
11-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Niiiice.
But jeez, they aren't available in narrower than a 14.50 in 37s, or a 13.50 in 35s!
Found 35s for $259.99. On the high end of 'right in there'.

Uncle Ben
11-26-2008, 08:39 AM

to

on ice.

The KM2's need no more perpendicular grooves! They have push/pull traction like very few others....they need parallel grooves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nay
11-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Meh....poser tires. :p::hill:

Hence their popularity :hill:.

How about Trxus MT:

"It's quiet in here, but is it round, and how long can it really last?"

Uncle Ben
11-26-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm eager to hear some reports back on the Micky MTZ's. Looks like a decent fairly aggressive AT pattern and Micky's usually balance decent. If things work out I will be seeking out some ROUND 39/40" ats for Wildrice as I plan on driving it more than trailering it. The Irocs I have for wheeling wont last too long on asphalt.

Uncle Ben
11-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Hmmm... IROKs on the highway pulling a trailer? Just doesn't seem like they would go together.

34K miles??!? Do you have a hamster in your speedo/odo cluster or sumthin'?
<snip>

I don't tend to break things (rollovers notwithstanding), so I don't *think* 37s will be awful. Sure, 17" rims would be the shiz, but might not be advi$able. 37s would put the gearing of 5.29s and the R151 to just about perfect with the 3.4.
<snip>

So Billy.....are you saying Iroks and 17" Beadlocks are not cool?

Red_Chili
11-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Not cool at all. I would have to $wap out my existing, nice beadlock$. And that WON'T happen. The Chili fund is sorely depleted.

Not cool for mileage either...

Tease. :lmao:

Red_Chili
11-26-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm eager to hear some reports back on the Micky MTZ's. Looks like a decent fairly aggressive AT pattern and Micky's usually balance decent. If things work out I will be seeking out some ROUND 39/40" ats for Wildrice as I plan on driving it more than trailering it.
Fairly aggressive indeed. I would not have thought of them as ATs.

Hmmm...

$225 at 4WPW. No 37s though. 35s only. Still...

http://www.jpmagazine.com/shop4parts/154_0605_mickey_thompson_mtz_tire/index.html

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_0709_mickey_thompson_baja_radial_mtz_tire_test/index.html

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showproduct.php?cat=3&product=256

Sure you weren't talking about the ATZ in your all terrain comment?
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_0602_mickey_thompson_baja_atz_tire_test/index.html

http://images.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0811_4wd_02_z+mickey_thompson_baja_atz_tires+tire_tread.jpg

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0811_4wd_mickey_thompson_baja_atz_tires/index.html

Uncle Ben
11-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Fairly aggressive indeed. I would not have thought of them as ATs.

Sure you weren't talking about the ATZ in your all terrain comment?

My bad. The MTZ's do have quite a bit of rubber contact which would should make them OK daily drivers

Nay
11-26-2008, 01:34 PM
You could go Nokian Vatiiva MT :D

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11954&group=2.02&name=Nokian+Vatiiva+M%2FT

Nay
11-26-2008, 01:43 PM
So Billy.....are you saying Iroks and 17" Beadlocks are not cool?

You can't put MehTZ's on those rims :D

Uncle Ben
11-26-2008, 02:04 PM
You can't put MehTZ's on those rims :D

The closest Meh-terrain tire that comes close to 39.5's is the Pro Craps Extreme AT's in 38.5's

Nay
11-26-2008, 02:26 PM
The closest Meh-terrain tire that comes close to 39.5's is the Pro Craps Extreme AT's in 38.5's

I think you want a fast wearing tire in a 40". That way the road wear in the center will keep up with the trail wear on the outers. :hill:

Trxus STS can be had in a 38.5. It probably cannot be had round, though.

Uncle Ben
11-26-2008, 04:03 PM
I think you want a fast wearing tire in a 40". That way the road wear in the center will keep up with the trail wear on the outers. :hill:

Trxus STS can be had in a 38.5. It probably cannot be had round, though.

Since I have no intention of running a spare I was joking about running a 40" aluminum ring with a 6 bolt pattern. Space saver? :eek::lmao::lmao::lmao:

corsair23
11-26-2008, 04:53 PM
My bad. The MTZ's do have quite a bit of rubber contact which would should make them OK daily drivers

Mr. Farr should be able to give Bill insight to the MTZs...They made it to CA and back and seemed to do just fine on the trail...They seemes smooth and well balanced on his rig and mine and much lighter than my Toyos (comparing same sizes that is). My only complaint would be the noise compared to the Toyos. Fine around town, but louder on the highway even in a Lexus :hill:

I almost went with the MTZs on my 40 till I found the screaming deal on my MTRs

Cheese
11-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Not sure there has been a resolution, but I caught the same fish some time ago.

I had to get good beadlocks because I kept losing beads. Problem was I already had tires for them and was stuck with a 15" rim, no chance for tires and wheels at the same time.

So, I got some OMF 15's. When I swapped and could get off training wheels, I was limited to 37" MT/R's. I didn't want to run anything Super Swamper because it was my DD at that time.

Just face the reality that the MT/R is the best all terrain tire out there. The new KM2's look awesome and sound like a winner, sizes are killer. Toyo's don't easily go on rigs like yours or mine.

Good luck.

JadeRunner
11-26-2008, 08:58 PM
I am also shopping. I really liked PhatFJ's Mickey MTZ's on the trail last weekend and am leaning that way now. Seeing them side by side with my MTR's. They seemed to have a wider lug pattern on the outside of the tire (contrary to the seemingly outdated picture in post 5). Thus being more aggressive with price and other factors appearing to be about the same. I don't really care about road noise. I'm glad to hear they are working out for Farr as well.

Red_Chili
11-28-2008, 07:36 AM
You mean the outdated picture in post #44? That's an ATZ.
I shall have to gander MTZs. Just hoping for more mileage but still retaining an aggressive tread pattern. And wondering about snow/ice. MT/Rs are certainly proven, but I've had some issues getting round ones. The current set is pretty round, the set before went back to Goodyear, and they told me "it is an off road tire. They aren't going to be smooth. We'll replace them this time but not again."

:confused:

Left a sour taste in my mouth. Got my tires though. The last ones couldn't be balanced. That, and they are friggin' LOUD with the soft top.

waggoner5
11-28-2008, 09:12 AM
If you think your MTRs are loud, wait till you get some KM2s. My 100 came with them, and they are louder than my 40" MTRs on the 45.

Uncle Ben
11-28-2008, 09:33 AM
If you think your MTRs are loud, wait till you get some KM2s. My 100 came with them, and they are louder than my 40" MTRs on the 45.

WERD!:rant:

Nay
11-28-2008, 12:24 PM
You mean the outdated picture in post #44? That's an ATZ.
I shall have to gander MTZs. Just hoping for more mileage but still retaining an aggressive tread pattern. And wondering about snow/ice. MT/Rs are certainly proven, but I've had some issues getting round ones. The current set is pretty round, the set before went back to Goodyear, and they told me "it is an off road tire. They aren't going to be smooth. We'll replace them this time but not again."

:confused:

Left a sour taste in my mouth. Got my tires though. The last ones couldn't be balanced. That, and they are friggin' LOUD with the soft top.

That sounds exactly like what Discount said about my Trxus: "Interco would laugh at us if we tried to send a tire back under warranty for an out of round condition." Kind of makes you feel like you are gambling, doesn't it?

You would prolly love the Toyos. They are very similar to the MTR in tread design, have factory siping, and make an AT feel out of shape in terms of roundness - it is silly how smooth these things are. Personally, I would not buy MTZ's over the Toyos for any conditions, because I wouldn't buy either for mud.

I have had them in ice (freezing drizzle last week, slick enough the kids could hardly get on the chain-shod bus without biting it over and over) and everything was good and predictable. I have to admit, they are better in winter than I thought they'd be, not a material step down from my beloved trxus MT's in winter conditions in any way (no deep snow testing yet).

Plus a 35 comes in 21/32nds tread depth (19 is typical for a 35) and all reports say they wear well, and you get that monster sidewall and pretty true 35" sizing. Just not sure if a 13.5 is too wide if you have 8" rims?

They are fairly loud. Nothing outrageous, but louder than I thought they'd be. Heavy, too, but you are getting something in return for that.

So...why not the Cooper Discover STT? This tire is a virtual replica of the Toyo in both tread and sidewall design in a narrower width for less money (and a lot less weight) with a 20.5/32nds tread depth. It has that same 3 ply sidewall design with one angled ply, is also manufactured in a 12 piece mold (so I've read on MUD) and has received generally good reviews?

If I go 37's at some point without adding any material lift, I think it will be the STT in a 37x12.5x17 (23/32nd tread depth). This tire would seem to be a natural substitute for the MTR.

ScaldedDog
11-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Bill, you need to take a spin in mine with Rockers. It'll redefine loud for ya... :D

If you're looking for a radial, and it looks like you are, consider the Nitto Mud Grappler. A friend (Matt, the young guy in the black Rubi) has them on his and I've been really impressed with their trail performance. The irritating thing is that his 35's are the same size as my 37' Rockers. :mad:

Mark

Hulk
11-30-2008, 08:38 PM
You can see my 315/75 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on Wednesday night at the meeting. We were just up in Breck for the last 5 days. Tons of snow, and the MTZs were great. I'm a fan of these tires.

Uncle Ben
11-30-2008, 08:45 PM
You can see my 315/75 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on Wednesday night at the meeting. We were just up in Breck for the last 5 days. Tons of snow, and the MTZs were great. I'm a fan of these tires.

:thumb::thumb::cool:

Nay
11-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, I think I can now qualify Toyo vs. Trxus winter performance. We got 18" today after a forecast of 2" :thumb:, and with the relatively warm ground it was pretty slick under the powder. The Toyos are perfectly fine, but they don't have the lateral traction of the Trxus and you don't feel stuck to the road the way the Trxus do. This allows some tail wagging under throttle so you can have a bit more fun :D

I will say that the Toyos don't pull into ruts anywhere near to the degree of the Trxus, so for higher speed driving in deeper stuff I found the Toyos preferable.

So really my only complaint is they are just loud, and day by day I am getting tired of that given how quiet the Trxus were. I think I am going to groove them along the lines of where the factory siping turns into the thread to reduce the size and presumably rigidity of those big tread blocks.

Not sure I have the guts to do this, but then I durabak'd my rig in guacamole so at some point the baby and the bath water are already both outside :hill:

rover67
12-01-2008, 08:28 AM
We were also up in breck for the past 5 days and I can tell you that 205/55-16 bridgestone potenzas and diesel torque do NOT do well in the snow.

what a nightmare. Dont't get those for your rig Bill.. i know you were considering them :lmao:

but we did make it yesterday up and down 70 back into town.. :eek:

Red_Chili
12-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Well, I actually LOOKED at the Chili (as opposed to web mechanicking) and realized that the dramatic tire wear was on the front tires... and NOT on the rear. DOH! Apparently I missed a toe-out issue, then went on three trips towing the popup.

Poof goes the tread life.

So it looks like I will be MT/Ring for a while yet. With more tread depth on the front than the rears. At least I will have a round spare now (if a bit treadless), after I toss the remaining egg shaped MT/R off of it.

Spanky, now you know why I am so compulsive about things. It's because I cannot be trusted. :lmao:

JadeRunner
12-01-2008, 09:37 PM
It's a personal decision Chilli. Go for it and enjoy.

Check out the angle of the middle tread pattern on these 3. Sideways traction vs. forward\rev. Which is better I don't know. But, I'm about to pull the trigger on the MTZ's.

I have the 285 MTZ's down to 978.13. That's the tires from here http://www.performanceproducts4trucks.com/ and with Goodyear taking care of the rest (w\road hazard). GoodYear was 48.57 less that Discount). My local Goodyear also closed and I'm going to Golden if I have too.

Hulk
12-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Word on the street is the Mickey Thompson MTZs, Coopers, Dick Cepaks and Pro Comps are all made by the same mfg. It comes down to which tread pattern you like. The Coopers are very nice as well -- Mike Worth has them on his sweet white 80. The Dick Cepak tires all seem to have dated tread patterns, so I didn't consider these. And Pro Comp is closely identified with 4 Wheel Parts, for better or for worse.

If you get Pro Comps on a 40, people will have another reason to misidentify your Cruiser as a Jeep. :D

Nay
12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Word on the street is the Mickey Thompson MTZs, Coopers, Dick Cepaks and Pro Comps are all made by the same mfg.

Cooper makes all of them. This doesn't mean they are using the same mold(s) or compounds for each.

And of course, if Mickey Thompson was manufacturing its own tires you'd be craving a set of Interco radials just for road use :D

Hulk
12-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Obviously, they aren't using the same molds. Compounds? I certainly have no way of knowing... but I bet they're all the same.

Beater
12-02-2008, 07:28 AM
if given enough notice, I can put in phone calls for you at goodyear. I was a mgr there for some time... nothing more than a "hey, take care of this guy/gal" unless you are willing to do business downtown.

j

Nay
12-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Obviously, they aren't using the same molds. Compounds? I certainly have no way of knowing... but I bet they're all the same.

I meant same mold type with just a different tread design. In other words, the Cooper STT is made in a 12 piece mold, whereas the Pro Comp could be in a clamshell mold. The process for the former is presumably more expensive and yields a better quality control result, the process for the latter not so much.

Hence the reason people pay a premium for Toyos and many will not even try any Interco tire (and some like me wish that bigger manufacturer actually made Interco's tires with the same Interco tread design and compound).

Now is Cooper a decent tire company? They apparently had some big problems a few years ago, and I would expect that any quality lapses would be most likely to hit non-Cooper brands rather than their flagship products.

Beater
12-02-2008, 07:13 PM
I could give you all the skinny on how tires are really made, i.e. goodyear owns cooper and others, and they are made in the same plants sometimes. The discussion would take at least 1 beer though. It's pretty amazing.

j

Red_Chili
12-03-2008, 12:23 PM
It's a personal decision Chilli. Go for it and enjoy.

...GoodYear was 48.57 less that Discount). My local Goodyear also closed and I'm going to Golden if I have too.
Hey, FWIW, the only reason I am staying MT/R is because the rears are only 1/3 worn. Can't see doing a whole set. And the more I think about it, 37s would probably just create a whole host of niggling problems.

Discount tire's NORMAL price was MUCH lower than Goodyear's SALE price though (the Goodyear at Highlands Ranch at least). Discount wasn't much more than TireRack (shipping included), and Discount matched their price.

I mount of course. They balance, plus road hazard.

JadeRunner
12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Sounds like you didn't rotate properly?

I had it wrong. Goodyear was much higher in price on the MTZ's and didn't care to price match, Discount on the other hand price matched an internet deal I found but is 48.57 higher on the mounting and road hazard. Discount has a better road hazzard, plus I prefer to but them locally if possible.

So I'm ready to pull the trigger on the MTZ's at Discount but thought I would wait till after the the meeting.

Nay
12-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I could give you all the skinny on how tires are really made, i.e. goodyear owns cooper and others, and they are made in the same plants sometimes. The discussion would take at least 1 beer though. It's pretty amazing.

j

There are very few actual "rubber" companies, right? That being completely different from being a "tire" company :beer:

Red_Chili
12-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Sounds like you didn't rotate properly?

More like, I went wheeling, my toe in went to toe out, I towed a camper to an overnighter, then towed a camper to a hunt out of state and back, then towed a camper to another hunt out of state and back.

Oh, I rotated all right. But it is hard to get even wear with 3/4" toe out. :eek:
Drove fine though. LOL :confused: :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
12-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Well....lateral traction or not, we just came home from Boulder and the hill on South Boulder Road was a parking lot! No one was able to make it up.....but we. I didn't even lock the center diff...drove right up and I'm sure both newer Land Rover's we passed are wondering about brand choice! :rolleyes: :bowdown: :kevin:

Beater
12-08-2008, 09:40 PM
there are really only a couple of road hazard companies. Amran is one of the biggest. They used to administer both goodyear and discount's retail road hazard.

Goodyear won't price match, as they have strict policies on profit centers. Their retail outlets are run as individual profit centers, and stores are held accountable, just like they were retailing another brand of tires.

oh, and tirerack and discount buy by the pound, while the retail outlets pay cost per tire... any more, and someone will have to buy me beer or a fender for my vespa