PDA

View Full Version : Senior Trip, Opinions?

theboomboom
11-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Hey guys, I'm hoping I can get some of your opinions on a trip I hope to do in August of 2009. It's early, but I've found some free time over the Thanksgiving break to do some planning. I'm planning on doing it camping/expedition style, sleeping in the back of the bronco at night and wheeling/sight seeing during the day.

I've found a tent set up that slips over the rear of the vehicle, so I'll be spending my nights above all the creepy crawlers. As of now, the bronco is pretty stock. Wheelbase is similar to that of an 80, and I'm running 31x10.5 BFG AT tires. The V8 does have some upgrades, so I should never be starved for power. Clearance would be my only concern with the (relatively) small tires on the trails I'm looking at running. I have time to save some pennies for an upgrade, and if I were only able to do one, would a luchbox style locker for the rear be my best investment? Would any of you consider it a dangerous trip to do in one vehicle? What attributes should I look for in companions?

I have created a presentation (http://docs.google.com/EmbedSlideshow?docid=dcj88ncp_23m96cjtfh)outlining the trip, and the major trails I am looking at are Red Cone, Jenny Creek and Slaughterhouse Gulch. I've also included Rocky Mountain National Park, Guanella pass and Mt Bross as other destinations. The timeline I've created gives me 7 days to complete the trip, and I think I would have time to also do some fly fishing, but I don't know where/if there is a good river to do do so that would fit my route.

If you get a chace to view the presentation (which is still a few slides and numbers short of completion), what are your reactions? I'm not too familiar with google docs, but feel free to make annotations directly on the slides if you are able to do so. What alterations would you make? Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Thanks!

MDH33
11-26-2008, 12:17 PM
All of those destinations are worthy. However, you could easily do most of these on any given weekend since they are so close to Denver. If I had a week in August to road trip. I would consider doing either the Triple Bypass or Ouray trip with the club and then spending a few days running other trails/camping on the way to/from. August is a great time of the year for camping/wheeling exploring. :thumb:

subzali
11-26-2008, 12:20 PM
With the list you posted, your Bronco will do it easily. You might think about going to the southwest though, explore some of the old mining roads down by Ouray/Lake City/Durango etc. as it's hard to get down that way very often because it's so far from the Front Range. You could do Hayden Pass or Old Monarch Pass, (or Red Cone/Webster/Upper/Lower Swan/Radical Hill/Georgia Pass on the way down there), then hit up Engineer, Cinnamon, Corkscrew Gulch, Imogene and some of those others while you're down there. Of course depending on the snow they might not be passible that time of year. Just some thoughts...

Or include the trails from this year's Ghost Town Run as you work your way down toward Gunnison/Lake City...

theboomboom
11-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Intersting, however I was mainly considering the closer trails because of 2m repeater coverage, which is another question I should ask. Which repeaters should I be able to hit that are also transmitting to denver? I have a yaesu 2800 installed with an antenna attached to the rear tire carrier. If I can at least hit one of the repeaters on the colorado connection, I should be golden, correct?

subzali
11-26-2008, 01:47 PM
There's lots of repeaters around the state, but when you're driving through the mountains it's kinda a crapshoot, because there are certain corridors that work for the CC, and a lot of the local repeaters don't appear to get much traffic, if they're even on. At least that was my experience this summer when I was playing around a little bit down by Westcliff.