PDA

View Full Version : winter tire carrier issues

farnhamstj
11-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I decided to pull off my spare tire carrier for the winter. I threw the spare in the trunk and strapped it down with a couple of ratchet straps. Shoved the jumper cables,tow strap and a few other things in the wheel well. I don't know about anyone else but my swing out carrier is all but useless in the winter. The whole thing freezes and is all but impossible to get open in sub zero temps. Am I the only one? I can't put the spare back in the factory location. I'm thinking of getting a spare tire cover to make it look a little nicer in the trunk, but at least I can get the tailgate open now. Sweet. Now what to do with the Highlift (garaged for now)?

Romer
11-26-2008, 10:04 PM
I dont have any issues with mine, maybe not enough lube in the spindle???

60wag
11-27-2008, 06:37 AM
It's the slide pins on mine that are annoying. Sometimes they are fine but will occasionally freeze up. I've had them apart to clean, pollish and lube but they are still inconsistant. I'm still looking for a better pull handle for the pins than the plastic ball. Those things are useless when covered with snow. I've had no problem with the spindle.

farnhamstj
11-27-2008, 09:09 AM
My issue is the pull handle for the pins also. I kept a pair of plyers in my driver's door pocket to pull up the pin.

nuclearlemon
11-27-2008, 12:44 PM
one of my pins sheared last weekend:(

sleeoffroad
11-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Not sure what carriers everyone has, but you can replace the knob with a T handle. Mcmaster.com part number 6477K72

Also, if this is one of our latest bumpers, it uses a custom machined stainless pin that should be lubed with a dry lube like used for bicycles. It should not stick. We stopped using the T handle on the bumper since it can hook on the cap on the spindle, or in some cases it gets caught between the spindle and the back quarter panel on the 80 and ends up denting the quarter panel when you swing open the carrier. Some of the other commercially available pins will corrode and they will stock and rust. We used them in our 1st generation bumpers, but went away from them. You can identify the later model pins with the hex nut that secures them to he sleeve.

Also, service the bearings once a year. Water will get in there and will freeze in between the grease.

farnhamstj
11-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks Slee. It is not your bumber but it is your hardware. I do need to replace the bearings. I have the late model pins and do use bicycle lube. I'll need to track down the t handle for the summer. But for this winter I'm going carrierless.

Hulk
11-30-2008, 10:06 PM
I have the same problem. I need to get some dry lube and give this a try.