PDA

View Full Version : Odometer Tech ?

PabloCruise
11-27-2008, 08:19 AM
My Pig odometer is sticking, only turns over ocassionally.

I have secured a spare speedometer out of another '74. I think someone has gone through it before as the 1/10's digit wheel is black, not white.

Anyway, I plan on pulling the speedo in the Pig and marrying the two.

My question is, once I pull the odo from my Pig and clean the old crusty lube (presumeably), what is a suitable lube to rebuild with?

Obviously we want something long-lasting and stable, won't stiffen up in the cold, won't attract dust.

I was thinking about CLP (Cleans, Lubricates, Protects). It is a firearm lube. I could not find the CLP brand yesterday, but I got the Remington euqivalent.

Any advice before I tear into this over the long weekend?

Uncle Ben
11-27-2008, 08:25 AM
My Pig odometer is sticking, only turns over ocassionally.

I have secured a spare speedometer out of another '74. I think someone has gone through it before as the 1/10's digit wheel is black, not white.

Anyway, I plan on pulling the speedo in the Pig and marrying the two.

My question is, once I pull the odo from my Pig and clean the old crusty lube (presumeably), what is a suitable lube to rebuild with?

Obviously we want something long-lasting and stable, won't stiffen up in the cold, won't attract dust.

I was thinking about CLP (Cleans, Lubricates, Protects). It is a firearm lube. I could not find the CLP brand yesterday, but I got the Remington euqivalent.

Any advice before I tear into this over the long weekend?

I used Vasoline and a toothpick when I did my 1964 FJ-40's a kazillian years ago. Still working....or at least it did two years ago when I disabled the gray beast again....

PabloCruise
11-27-2008, 08:36 AM
I used Vasoline and a toothpick when I did my 1964 FJ-40's a kazillian years ago. Still working....or at least it did two years ago when I disabled the gray beast again....

Won't that attract a lot of dust?

Uncle Ben
11-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Won't that attract a lot of dust?

Probably......when I did it it'sa what I had and maybe the dust helped lubricate it over the years. :rolleyes: Most anything but dry lube will attract dust dry lube will not pass the test of time!

PabloCruise
11-27-2008, 02:29 PM
What do you think about my CLP idea???

Uncle Ben
11-27-2008, 10:21 PM
What do you think about my CLP idea???

Should work great! Thats great stuff! Gubs get real sticky in cold weather if you don't use good lube!

Cruzrman
11-28-2008, 11:01 AM
I would recommend powdered graphite or a Teflon based grease.

Rzeppa
11-28-2008, 07:01 PM
I use white lithium grease.

PabloCruise
12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys!

PabloCruise
12-07-2008, 09:29 PM
O-k, a friend at work advised against CLP on plastic as he was afraid it may soften the plastic.

So I rebuilt the odo using graphite. Got a quick drive in, and she clicked over 4 miles no trouble.

When I pulled the odometer out, it was plenty sticky, hard to turn