PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a stock 75-78 FJ40?

Rzeppa
11-29-2008, 09:25 PM
That can come over tomorrow morning so I can check some details before I weld? Spent the afternoon doing (hopefully) final fitment of one of the quarter panels on my 76, and came up with some questions that a visual examination of a 75-78 will answer. Specifically, I have the CCOT rear channel already welded in to the rear bed, and had it bolted to the frame with the body mounts. I also have the skin that goes over it, but I'm not sure whether the skin goes on first and then the quarter panels, or quarter panel first and then the skin?

The whole section where the ambulance door hinges go on is kind of vague, and it's been too many years since I tore her down to remember. Not to mention, there was so much rust, there wasn't much left anyway. I took a lot of photos, but they are never nearly enough.

I want to get this right the first time, and having another one to look at would be really helpful. My 71 has been good for a lot of things, but when the ambulance doors were introduced with the 1975 model year a number of things changed in this area. If you can make it, give me a call at (303) 674-2386 - I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks and happy cruisin'!

Rzeppa
11-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Many thanks to Ricardo for coming over and helping out today! We got the passenger (right) side quarter panel cut and prepped, but most importantly, figured out the order of assembly for the various parts. Two heads are way better than one, and thank you so much Ricardo!

Many thanks for the drilling and cutting too!

Unfortunately we didn't get around to welding, but after Ricardo left and after the donks improbably won, I went back down and finished the prep and it looks like it's all ready to weld. I have to give Ricardo props for suggesting the rat tail file. After he left I filed the bolt holes in that QP and made it fit a lot better.

:risingsun

RicardoJM
12-01-2008, 07:06 AM
At some point I'd like to replace my rear sill and I have a rusted rocker panel on the passenger side that will need to be repaired/replaces as well. Often times if I can see something first hand it makes it easier to learn and then do and yesterday was a good opportunity to de-mystify a few things. I was glad to help out and appreciate the learning opportunity. I'd still like to see some of the welding.

MDH33
12-01-2008, 07:53 AM
I would like to see the new panels welded as well. Are you doing a write up, Jeff?

Jacket
12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
At some point I'd like to replace my rear sill and I have a rusted rocker panel on the passenger side that will need to be repaired/replaces as well. Often times if I can see something first hand it makes it easier to learn and then do and yesterday was a good opportunity to de-mystify a few things. I was glad to help out and appreciate the learning opportunity. I'd still like to see some of the welding.

Indeed you are fortunate - I would have liked to see some of that myself. I've got a new rear sill sitting in my garage waiting for some time and some courage on my part to start cutting the old one out.....

Which reminds me... :hijack: ...is it possible to install the new sill without removing the rear quarters?

RicardoJM
12-01-2008, 11:13 AM
...is it possible to install the new sill without removing the rear quarters?

I believe it is based upon what I see in this link (http://rzeppa.org/tech/sill.htm). You are further along than I am as you have already picked up the channel. I'm still in the "man I need to learn more about body work so that I can think about being able to do it" stage:D.

Credit to Jeff for suggesting that we make a template while we were doing the quarter panel work yesterday. This will come in handy to cut the four pieces for the curved ends that get attached to the channel. When you get ready to do yours, you are welcome to grab the template.

PabloCruise
12-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Glad you got it figured out...

My '78 would not be a useful reference as my sill is pretty bad!

Still have Ige's '77 tub waiting to go on.

Rzeppa
12-01-2008, 05:37 PM

There'll be plenty of opportunity for that! I'm sorry we didn't fire up the Miller while you were there, but I have learned that it is pretty important to get as much prep done as possible, and line up the ducks before firing up the welder.

Yesterday was a good demystifying day for me too. Having you there, and being able to discuss what we saw on the CCOT web site and then discuss what we saw on the rig helped me out a bunch!

Maybe we can get together and do the welding next weekend? I have an extra welding helmet and you're welcome to take a turn at putting those spots in!

Rzeppa
12-01-2008, 05:41 PM
I would like to see the new panels welded as well. Are you doing a write up, Jeff?

It's all been going here (http://rzeppa.org/resto/cruiser1.htm). This will probably be my last roll of 35mm - now having two digital cameras I may hang up the SLR for this project. But there's something kinda neat about the 2.5 photo albums I've already filled with photos from this project.

Jacket
12-02-2008, 10:06 AM
I believe it is based upon what I see in this link (http://rzeppa.org/tech/sill.htm). You are further along than I am as you have already picked up the channel. I'm still in the "man I need to learn more about body work so that I can think about being able to do it" stage:D.

Credit to Jeff for suggesting that we make a template while we were doing the quarter panel work yesterday. This will come in handy to cut the four pieces for the curved ends that get attached to the channel. When you get ready to do yours, you are welcome to grab the template.

Yea - I've read the details of the link a few times - it's been very helpful. My new sill came with the curved ends (wings) already attached (its the "Complete Sill" from CCOT), and so I wondered if I could cut away the old sill and install the new one "behind" the rear quarter without cutting or removing those quarter panels?

MDH33
12-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Yea - I've read the details of the link a few times - it's been very helpful. My new sill came with the curved ends (wings) already attached (its the "Complete Sill" from CCOT), and so I wondered if I could cut away the old sill and install the new one "behind" the rear quarter without cutting or removing those quarter panels?

Most of the time, if the sill is rotten, so are the quarters. Mine is a prime example.

Not hijack the thread, but I was talking to Kurt (Cruiser Outfitters) and he was telling me about how their club in Utah does a monthly "Tech Night". Anyone who is interested shows up to learn something from other skilled members. Pretty cool idea. Maybe Rising Sun could have an FJ40 rear sill replacement session using someones rig as an example. Another month could be installing a latte machine in your 80, etc. ;)

timmbuck2
12-02-2008, 10:38 AM
What a great idea! I would definitely make time to attend these. I learned SO much from the wheel bearing packing party, and from Jeff and Ige (and others) when they help me out.

T

Most of the time, if the sill is rotten, so are the quarters. Mine is a prime example.

Not hijack the thread, but I was talking to Kurt (Cruiser Outfitters) and he was telling me about how their club in Utah does a monthly "Tech Night". Anyone who is interested shows up to learn something from other skilled members. Pretty cool idea. Maybe Rising Sun could have an FJ40 rear sill replacement session using someones rig as an example. Another month could be installing a latte machine in your 80, etc. ;)

Jacket
12-02-2008, 10:58 AM
What a great idea! I would definitely make time to attend these. I learned SO much from the wheel bearing packing party, and from Jeff and Ige (and others) when they help me out.

T

x2

Rzeppa
12-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Please elaborate? There are two parts to the sill: the outer skin (just between the doors), and the complete sill, which includes the wings. The latter requires cutting from the QPs, the former not so. You do not have to remove the old QPs to install the complete sill with wings, but since it is welded to the QPs you most certainly have to separate the two. You could probably drill out the welds to separate them, but I can not envision how to remove and replace the full sill without either cutting or replacing the QPs.

Jacket
12-02-2008, 09:57 PM
That's basically it - I figured the "wings" are welded to the back of the QP, but wondered how accessible they might be from behind to actually cut/grind them away from the QP without cutting clear through to the front. My panels are in pretty good shape - some bubbling in the paint but nearly as rotten as the center channel of the sill.

Keep in mind I'm doing mostly web work here - I haven't really crawled up behind there and taken a close look at what I'm dealing with. I'm finding lots of ways to procrastinate on the work needed for the 40. But since you and Ricardo were talking sills and QP's I thought I'd ask....

MountainGoat
12-03-2008, 05:24 AM
Not hijack the thread, but I was talking to Kurt (Cruiser Outfitters) and he was telling me about how their club in Utah does a monthly "Tech Night". Anyone who is interested shows up to learn something from other skilled members. Pretty cool idea. ;)

x3 ! ! ! This would be totally cool. There is so much experience to be tapped, but reading about it here or on mud only takes one so far. Seeing it in person would make a huge difference.

Rzeppa
12-03-2008, 04:51 PM
That's basically it - I figured the "wings" are welded to the back of the QP, but wondered how accessible they might be from behind to actually cut/grind them away from the QP without cutting clear through to the front. My panels are in pretty good shape - some bubbling in the paint but nearly as rotten as the center channel of the sill.

Keep in mind I'm doing mostly web work here - I haven't really crawled up behind there and taken a close look at what I'm dealing with. I'm finding lots of ways to procrastinate on the work needed for the 40. But since you and Ricardo were talking sills and QP's I thought I'd ask....

The only way I can think of to remove and replace the sill without cutting through the existing quarter panels would be to remove all the body mounts and lift the body up about a foot or so at the rear. You'd still have to separate the old sill from the existing QPs. It seems to me that it would be FAR more practical to simply

1. Cut the (still good) quarter panels where they cover the sill.
2. Remove the sill with the QP cut-out section still attached.
3. Remove the QP cut-out sections from the old sill.
4. Install the new sill to the rear frame crossmember and weld to rear bed.
5. Weld the cut-out sections of QP back on.

Grind the welds down, fill with body filler, sand, paint.

Rzeppa
12-03-2008, 04:56 PM
x3 ! ! ! This would be totally cool. There is so much experience to be tapped, but reading about it here or on mud only takes one so far. Seeing it in person would make a huge difference.

I have hosted dozens of wrench sessions in my garage over the years, as have many other RS members. I've also traveled to many member's homes and helped them work on their rigs, as have many other RS members. This is one of the things we do - help each other out. And learn in the process. Every time I work on someone else's rig I learn something new!

I do plan on welding those quarter panels in this weekend, and if some folks want to show up and help/make wisecracks etc., I'll be happy to provide pizza and refreshments. I'll figure out which day and what time window in a bit, then post it up here, or maybe in the events section.

Does anyone know which Broncos are going to show up at Mile High on Sunday (the good ones who beat the Jets, or the ugly ones who got stomped by the faders)?

Rogue Leader
12-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Jeff,

I would love to come over and watch your Quarter panel replacement. I really need to do this to my rig but my welding skills are holding me back.

Jacket
12-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the insight Jeff. That's what I was afraid of.....

MDH33
12-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I do plan on welding those quarter panels in this weekend, and if some folks want to show up and help/make wisecracks etc., I'll be happy to provide pizza and refreshments. I'll figure out which day and what time window in a bit, then post it up here, or maybe in the events section.

I would be interested in stopping by to see the panels go on, but I'll be at the caravan for kids Saturday morning. If you're working on it Saturday afternoon/evening or Sunday, I might be able to swing by. :beer:

Rzeppa
12-05-2008, 06:44 PM
At this point I am thinking 11AM Sunday. Prolly be around an hour of welding then 2 hours of BSing, then go watch the Donks. I'll buy pizza and beer. Who's in?

MountainGoat
12-06-2008, 05:37 AM
Cool. :weld: I'm in! You gotta let me know where to show up. I'll pitch in some pizza $.

RicardoJM
12-06-2008, 08:35 AM
I'll be there and will bring some chips and dip for the BSing and pizza time.

Rzeppa
12-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I'll be there and will bring some chips and dip for the BSing and pizza time.

Righton. I checked in with Dominos and they do still deliver here (their web site said they didn't and I was bumming on that until I called them).

Sparks at 11.

Rzeppa
12-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Cool. :weld: I'm in! You gotta let me know where to show up. I'll pitch in some pizza $.

26242 Center Drive
Kittredge CO 80457
USA

;-)

White house on the left with a BIG garage. I'm the only red FJ45 pickup on the block (the neighbor's FJ45s are other colors)

MDH33
12-07-2008, 08:51 AM
I'll be there too. :beer:

Rzeppa
12-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Blast was had by all! Everyone got a turn to weld. Ricardo and Martin had to count the welds - was exactly 64 on each side. 128 welds, one small fire, two pizzas several adult beverages and lots of fun! Thank you Dan, Ricardo and Martin for helping! Oh yeah, Ricardo's in charge of posting photos.

:risingsun

RicardoJM
12-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Jeff, Dan and Martin it was indeed a very good day. I've got some pictures to post up in the next couple of days. It is real cool to learn even more about welding and body work. On the bonus end of things, thanks to Martin I cleaned the ring and am honking all around:thumb:.

Jacket
12-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Good for you guys. Family demands once again stand in the way of a great opportunity to learn some new garage tricks. One of these days....

MDH33
12-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks again, Jeff for hosting us and letting us put booger welds on your 40 (which is looking good!).

I know what I'm asking for this Christmas. :weld:

Rzeppa
12-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Ricardo, where's the photos?

wesintl
12-08-2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8663

Rzeppa
12-08-2008, 10:28 PM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8663

Just noticed it. Thanks Wes!