PDA

View Full Version : Twitchy Speedo?

Azrael
12-03-2008, 09:55 AM
So my needle started bouncing around like crazy on the way in to work this morning. A quick search showed this to be a common problem in worn out cable speedos, but didn't say how exactly to fix it.

Any hints you folks can give me as to what I need to fix/replace to get it working again?

Thanks.

Uncle Ben
12-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Pull the cable out and check it. If it's in good shape with no frays or bends lube it!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3194P0V5HVL._SS400_.jpg

teamextreme
12-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Mine did this a few years back. It got so bad in fact that it snapped the needle off when it pegged out. I figured it was a bad speedo cable and replaced the cable. That didn't fix it so I lived with it for awhile until my t-case burnt up. When I put a new-used t-case in the speedo problem went away! Moral of story: It could be speedo gears in the t-case too.

Azrael
12-08-2008, 07:04 PM
After some searching around, I think that may be more accurate. I haven't had a chance to toy around with it lately.

If it were the cable, my mind is telling me it would be bouncing erratically below actual speed. Mine is bouncing rhythmically above actual speed, which I'm thinking may be due to a bad tooth on the gear.

Also, I've noticed since then that the ODO hasn't been rolling. Think that is from the same cause, or coincidental and unrelated?

teamextreme
12-10-2008, 07:48 PM
The odo and speedo both are driven by the same speedo cable from the t-case, so if one is working, albiet erratically, and the other is not, that would indicate a problem in the instrument cluster, seems to me. Maybe that's the source of both problems?

Shark Bait
12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
I have that problem once in a while, too. :D

Wait for it.....

Beater
12-10-2008, 11:05 PM
dude - that is so wrong on so many levels

Azrael
12-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Hmm... So my speedo problem can be fixed by a gym membership?

Azrael
01-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Also, I've noticed since then that the ODO hasn't been rolling. Think that is from the same cause, or coincidental and unrelated?

Tore apart the cluster and found the cause of this. There's a plastic gear that drives the Odo that was broken. I managed to MacGyver it back in place, but the cogs are a little shorn, so I think it's a temp fix that will eventually fail and require complete replacement.

I didn't take it for a drive yet to see if the bouncy needle was a symptom or cause of this.

leiniesred
01-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I think the problem is up in the speedo. The reduction gears on mine are plastic. When it gets really cold they howl like crazy and the speedo bounces and reads low at times. I say focus your efforts on the speedo, not just the cable.
In particular, the very first bushing that the cable sticks into where it goes into the back of the speedo.

Mine has done this since about 200,000 miles. I'm a little surprised the cable hasn't bound up and broken yet.

Or do what I do and just drive on. It is really annoying (louder than the XM radio) for about five miles, but I don't drive the truck much these days anyway.

ElliottB
01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I have that problem once in a while, too. :D

Wait for it.....

You do NOT have my permission to post my photo like that! I was jazzercising.