PDA

View Full Version : WTB NATO style jerry can & spout

Air Randy
12-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Anyone have a decent jerry can and spout for sale? I got a NATO style can carrier from Matt/Subzali and discovered my current metal jerry can (actually made in Germany) is slightly too large to fit in the carrier. If you want to trade my can is like new and has a spout.

Uncle Ben
12-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Cheaperthandirt.com

SteveH
12-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Beware almost all currently-sold NATO-style spouts are Chinese made and stink - they leak, the flex-end falls out of the fixed bayonet bracket, they glug and drip - total junk. They also don't cam-lock securely to the old German NATO cans. Occasionally, a batch of old-style spouts shows up, but I can never snag them fast enough before they are sold out. If you have a spout that works even halfway decently, stick with it.

cbmontgo
12-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Beware almost all currently-sold NATO-style spouts are Chinese made and stink - they leak, the flex-end falls out of the fixed bayonet bracket, they glug and drip - total junk. They also don't cam-lock securely to the old German NATO cans. Occasionally, a batch of old-style spouts shows up, but I can never snag them fast enough before they are sold out. If you have a spout that works even halfway decently, stick with it.

This is true. I had this problem with the spouts I bought at expeditionexchange too. They leak terribly.

Bighead
12-04-2008, 11:00 AM
There were a couple of threads on Expedition Portal talking about sourcing some decent spouts for the NATO-style cans. Might be worth a search.

wesintl
09-22-2010, 08:25 PM
For those of you currently with NATO cans the swiss spout is the only way to go but you have to mod the end for gas. It fits my diesel without a problem. These spouts are expensive but it drains a 5 gal can in no time at all unlike the chinese spouts which gurgle and are slow.

http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.php?cat=unimog&partno=SAV4220

http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/219223-modifying-nato-can-nozzles-unleaded-filler-restrictions.html

RockRunner
09-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I may have one depending on the size. Why not use the shaker syphon unit, makes it much easier and no leaks for sure.

coax
09-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Have you considered going to the scepter cans? Might not be much more expensive than getting a replacement nato can. I still need to pick up one of those speedy siphons, as I didn't want to go the spout-route :D

Corbet
09-22-2010, 09:08 PM
x2 on the Scepters. I have no complaints.

DaveInDenver
09-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Aren't Scepters also verboten now?

coax
09-22-2010, 09:30 PM

I think only "mostly" verboten :)

gr8fulabe
09-22-2010, 11:23 PM
On a similar, but slightly different tack, I have two very old Jerry cans (US army from the 40's & 50's) that have round screw tops. I have seen pics of the old nozzles that fit in them, but have no idea where to get one. I am also trying to find new gaskets for them. Does anyone happen to know where to get those items for the old version jerry cans?
thanks,
Abe

hyperboarder
09-23-2010, 07:16 AM
What's indicative of a NATO can? I bought 3 german ones off a coworker, they're just sitting in my garage. Only one spout, but I'd part with one of the cans.

Corbet
09-23-2010, 08:43 AM

They are not C.A.R.B. approved for states that care. They no longer sell to the public in USA but still supply the military. Not that hard to find but pull a premium price.

I got a pair of used ones here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Scepter-Military-Fuel-Can-MFC-set-2-used-VITON-GASKET-/280565586591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4153031a9f#ht_500wt_1154 And I also sourced a few out of Canada new. The used ones are in good shape and a better value unless you have to have new.

DaveInDenver
09-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Re: Scepter, I did not know you could still get them. I thought Scepter stopped selling the petrol and diesel cans in the United States to non-military customers. BTW, the C.A.R.B. States are CA, OR, WA, AZ, PA, NY, NJ, ME, VT, MA, RI, DC and MD. I have one Scepter can, an O.D. green 20L petrol and would like to add another one or two, so I need to look around. I have the actual military spout and this is the bee's knees compared to any metal can IMHO. Lighter, VERY fast, easier to handle with the recessed filler and flap on my truck.

coax
09-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I got mine here: http://www.stock-number.com/06MilitaryFuelCans.htm

Had to order via phone (a bit of a wierd atypical process) but total shipped price to CO for two was 93. New cans, no red straps, but supposedly have the viton gasket.

On a related note, I'm all for clean air, but would rather be able to use a reliable fuel can twice a year, and have gas pumps that control emissions better, than vise versa like we are now.