PDA

View Full Version : geeky opportunity for you this weekend.

nakman
12-04-2008, 09:16 AM
60wag, DaveinDenver and I are going to be lost in the woods all weekend, starting tomorrow am. I'll have my HT with me and feel pretty confident we'll be able to get onto the Vail or Leadville repeaters, into the Colorado connection. We'll be monitoring in the evenings mostly, so if you have your radio on here on the front range click over to 145.310 and give us a call, we might surprise you can call back. :D

Romer
12-04-2008, 09:32 AM
So is this one of those Deliverance style trips?

DaveInDenver
12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Here's the coordinates for the hut. I know we can hear FRS radios from the ski areas, probably Copper or Breck. In any case, it's possible we'll be able to raise a repeater in Leadville, Vail, Breck. I understand the Leadville CCR machine is pretty capable.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=39+27.844%E2%80%99+N,+106+13.777%E2%80%99++W&ie=UTF8&ll=39.475558,-106.190586&spn=0.096463,0.187111&t=p&z=13

Jacket
12-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Very cool! You guys have fun. Hopefully you're not sharing the hut with a bunch of weirdos tho....

That reminds me - I've got about 3 months to get in shape for our trip....

Edit/Hijack: Tim - I heard K0NAK, K9BVB and K0UBN briefly on the 146.460 yesterday - probably about 5:45pm or so. The reception kept fading in and out, so I didn't try to jump in. Any idea where you were about that time? Just wondering what kind of range I've got with my setup. Your transmissions were pretty weak - I could hear UBN better (probably because he was quite a bit closer...)

nakman
12-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm probably the biggest wierdo of the bunch..

Anyway yesterday at 5:45 I was probably at OTB, or on I-70 & Youngfieldish almost there. BVB was way down south, coming up 470. UBN was taking Indiana down through Arvada, and KC0ZAC was up on highway 93, also headed south. Everyone was probably within a 5-10 mile radius of OTB at that time.. but if you were hearing BVB then he was the furthest away. In fact he and I were talking on simplex while he was at University & 470 and I was 62nd & Sheridan.. pretty good distance. Quality wasn't so hot though, but we're sort of turning into QRP fanatics so we probably could have upped power and you would have heard everyone better.

Convert
12-04-2008, 09:42 PM
60wag, DaveinDenver and I are going to be lost in the woods all weekend, starting tomorrow am. I'll have my HT with me and feel pretty confident we'll be able to get onto the Vail or Leadville repeaters, into the Colorado connection. We'll be monitoring in the evenings mostly, so if you have your radio on here on the front range click over to 145.310 and give us a call, we might surprise you can call back. :D

I will try to remember to give you guys a shout Friday or Saturday evening :thumb:

RicardoJM
12-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll do some monitoring through the weekend and put out a call. Have fun and be safe up there.

Convert
12-07-2008, 06:05 PM
tried a few times Saturday evening no luck though Did you guys connect with anyone?

nakman
12-07-2008, 09:40 PM
No, we thought we were getting through to the Summit County repeater, but no one was talking back. Couldn't hit Leadville or Vail though, kind of disappointing... ah well.

RicardoJM
12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I put calls out on my way home Friday afternoon, but didn't get anything either.

DaveInDenver
12-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Firday evening, I'd say about 1800 (time is sorta relative when you're lounging in a hut) I thought I heard K0NAK being called. I tried again Saturday morning into the 146.970 machine in Summit County. I'm pretty sure that's a CCR linked repeater. Anyway, we could break the squelch and get the repeater tail, but I'm not sure our 5W HTs were enough to get above the noise. If we weren't so lazy we should have headed to higher ground to try again, but oh well.

RicardoJM
12-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Firday evening, I'd say about 1800 (time is sorta relative when you're lounging in a hut) I thought I heard K0NAK being called.

If your sense of time was far enough off, it might have been me. I started calling about 3:30 and finished up around 5:00. If you heard something like "K0NAK, K0NAK, KD0CAW" it was me. Hope you guys had a good time even withouth the technology.

Groucho
12-08-2008, 10:51 AM
but I was having trouble (I think) with the repeater. I started calling about noon, and tried about every hour on the hour. I tried a couple times on Sat, but no luck.

I say "I think" I was having trouble with the repeater because my first QSO while monitoring was with a guy mobile off the Springs repeater. No problem. Then I made a QSO with a guy in Craig on the Craig repeater, but he told me that i was coming in inconsistently, he couldn't make much of my transmissions. I was receiving the Denver repeater full quieting, putting out 50 watts and a 1.2:1 SWR. So I was not sure after that if I was getting anything that may be heard by you guys.

I tried a couple times with all three callsigns, KNAK, KCPEG and KCZAC, waiting from 20 to 30 seconds between tries to make sure you got a chance to get the HT out.

I want to know how it went, 'cuz I want to go next time.

DaveInDenver
12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
My sense of time could absolutely be wacky. What is for sure is that we did not hear you at 1530. Nakman and I achieved the hut at about 3:30 on Friday. I'm fairly certain that it was around dusk when we had the radios on, so 1700~1800 was only a reasonable guess for time. I also monitored Saturday morning about 0900 ~ 0930 and for a few minutes while packing Sunday at about 0700.

Things to note. Inside the hut on the N-NE we can see up the drainage towards Copper Mountain. That is about 4 or so miles distant. The hut itself sits just at treeline but generally does not have good LOS towards developed areas with repeaters (Vail, Frisco, Leadville, etc.). So the RF visibility to the Summit County repeater at 146.790 is not optimal to be sure. Both our radios are VX-7R with Diamond SRH77CA antennas. RX on the 146.790 at this location was about 5 of 9, slightly scratchy but clearly audible. TX at 5W broke the squelch well enough to trigger a repeater tail but I personally never got a reply that indicated anyone understood my call. I tried a handful of locations inside and outside the hut, so I do not think the hut itself was causing significant attenuation of the signal.

We never tried hiking up to the top of the topology surrounding the hut. I fully expect that heading the next few hundred feet in elevation to Searle Pass would help immensely. From there you have optical visibility of Climax tailing ponds and roughly towards Camp Hale. Altitude there is just over 12,000'. Instead of doing the full climb, we chose mostly to fire up the sauna, sip whiskey, relax, frustrate ourselves with a jigsaw puzzle and play poker...