PDA

View Full Version : Finally got the bumper buil

Air Randy
12-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I got my rear bumper finished. Thanks to Rezarf and others who had info posted on how to build your own. I ended up using 2x4x1/4 rectangular tube for the main body as well as the swing arm. I used pieces of the 2x4 tube cut on 45 degree angles to make the braces from the cross member to the bumper body. It is bolted in place using 12 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I got the spindle, tire riser and recovery points from Iron Pig and the cam lock and swing arm T-lock pin from McMasters. I used a slightly different type of latch to lock the swing arm shut, mine is a cam lock with a stud that presses the swing arm plate up against the main body of the bumper. I was able to rig up a moun for the hi-lift jack even though its a little off center. I took the stock license plate bracket and lights off of the tailgate and re-mounted it on the swing out arm along with a jerry can holder. Total spent was about $300.

If anyone needs an Iron Pig spindle, I can provide you with the center pin and sleeve. I also have an extra bump stop and a 5' piece of the 2x4x1/4 tube left. All you need to buy from IPOR are the bushing and collars, which they sell separate on their website. So if anyone else wants to build a bumper, I have most of what you need for the basic stuff. C'mon over and we'll tack something together.

I also included some pictures of the Metaltech front end guard, sliders and winch bumper I just finished building.

Sorry for the crappy quality cell phone pictures. Now if FJ40 Jim would just get my carb back to me soon............

Air Randy
12-05-2008, 05:09 PM
sorry bout that

Air Randy
12-05-2008, 05:13 PM
and the rest of the bumper pictures

Romer
12-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Nice job and nice 40!

corsair23
12-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Nice job and nice 40!

x2 :thumb:

MDH33
12-06-2008, 08:46 AM
That's a great looking rig. Hope to see you out on a trail run sometime.

40's rock :headbang:

RicardoJM
12-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Wow Randy, that is a cool bumper. How much time do you have into the fabrication end of it all?

Air Randy
12-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Probably a couple of full days. Now that I've done one and worked out how everything should fit together, the next one would go quicker.

farnhamstj
12-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Looks good. Bumber about the brake line.

Red_Chili
12-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Great job! (the bumper that is; the photography, not so much... :lmao: )

leiniesred
12-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I really like the side mounted fuel can. Improve rear visibility and keeps things a little lower.

Air Randy
12-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Just as a reminder to everyone, if anyone is interested in building a bumper like this, I have most of the materials required to do it. I would be glad to help you build it at my place=heated shop, welder, chop saw, etc.

You bring beer, pizza, and anyone else who wants to help or hang out and BS but not get in the way.

I have the 5' piece of 2x4x1/4 for the main bumper section that will cost you $80. If you order the 2 bushings and 2 collars from Iron Pig Off Road for the spindle, I can give you the center pin and sleeve for free.

If you want to use 2x4 sections to make the angle supports, you will need to pick up another 24" section of the 2x4x1/4. I get my steel from Fastenal in Castle Rock as it is close, convenient and seems to be pretty reasonably priced. Or you could use 24" of 2x3x1/4 angle iron. For the swing arm I would suggest odering a 3' piece of 2x3x1/4 tube. I used the 2x4 stuff because I had it but it is a little overkill. You will also need a T Pin (if you want one) and a latch from McMasters or IPOR.

I bought the pre-built riser from IPOR for $99 and trimmed it up to fit. It looks very professional and it puts the tire on an angle, tilted in at the top. That way you can set the tire on the mount and it will not fall off while you're searching for the lug nuts. If you're on a tight budget we can fab something together out of angle iron if you bring enough of it.

I'll be at Ken's place this Friday if anyone wants to chat more about it.