PDA

View Full Version : Place to buy drill bits?

subzali
12-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Where do you go to buy good drill bits?

nakman
12-08-2008, 11:44 AM
MSC. http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRHM tons of choices from Chinese to carbide, depending on how much you want to spend. whacha drillin?

SteveH
12-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Grainger - www.grainger.com - or visit your local store. They seem to sell more large bits with flatted shanks than Home Depot does. Prices are competitive and service is great.

Nick F.
12-08-2008, 01:26 PM
msc, western tool, or enco. western or enco tend to be cheaper.

Nick F.

Uncle Ben
12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Cost Right Tools (costritetool.thomasnet.com)

Corbet
12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I got a decent Cornwell set off Ebay a few years back for cheap. Us folk in poe dunk mountain towns have to use the web.

RicardoJM
12-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Slight hijack but still on topic...

15 of the 6mm x 1.0 bolts came out of my cap just fine. The heads on the other 6 snapped heads. Where (locally) did you guys pick up your left hand drill bits?

MDH33
12-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Slight hijack but still on topic...

15 of the 6mm x 1.0 bolts came out of my cap just fine. The heads on the other 6 snapped heads. Where (locally) did you guys pick up your left hand drill bits?

PB Blaster is your friend.

RicardoJM
12-09-2008, 10:38 AM
PB Blaster is your friend.

It was for most of them:D.

L43dean
12-13-2008, 09:40 PM
centerpunch the broken bolt (still in the tub) ,dab with oil ,carefully drill out with drill small enough to fit in your 6mm un-damaged threaded hole , then chase the threads with your 6 x 1 tap and more oil. i suggest you buy the tap and die together . the die can chase and clean up rusty bolts for re-use . i like cobolt bits when available in the size you need . drill slowly in hardened steel bolts to avoid over-heating your bit and to keep centered .

RicardoJM
12-14-2008, 11:38 AM
centerpunch the broken bolt (still in the tub) ,dab with oil ,carefully drill out with drill small enough to fit in your 6mm un-damaged threaded hole , then chase the threads with your 6 x 1 tap and more oil. i suggest you buy the tap and die together . the die can chase and clean up rusty bolts for re-use . i like cobolt bits when available in the size you need . drill slowly in hardened steel bolts to avoid over-heating your bit and to keep centered .

I got the bolts drilled out but only one of them was spot on centered:o. Nonetheless all 6 holes were re-tapped and new bolts installed across the board. Back on topic I did find tap and drill bit combination pack at Pep-Boys, 6 X 1 tap and 5mm bit. It worked out well to use my other bits to build up to the 5mm bit.

Rzeppa
12-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Where (locally) did you guys pick up your left hand drill bits?

I got mine at Tool King. They aren't always in stock, but they can be a real time saver. They work GREAT on snapped off bolts that aren't too rusty. On the really rusty ones you do have to drill and re-tap. If they get really buggered then you have to heli-coil.

For regular bits, I've found that Ace Hardware is more convenient than mail order/online, and they have a great selection.

Shark Bait
12-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Jeff, I know you are a big fan of Drill Doctor. What model would you recommend?

Rzeppa
12-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Jeff, I know you are a big fan of Drill Doctor. What model would you recommend?

Gosh, I don't remember which model I have. I know they make several, I think the main differences are what sized bits they do. After checking their web site just now, I would guess the XP.

A machinist I used to work with ground by hand, but admitted that having a tool to guide you at the proper angle is way better. I just know it sure beats having to buy bits all the time.

Inukshuk
09-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Just bought a Drill Doctor XP2 yesterday at Home Depot. Thing rocks. I already have just about every size bit I'd need and with this, even although it was $99, I don't think I'll ever need to buy another bit. Sharpens masonry bits too. I might just have to mount this in the back of the Cruiser and start a mobile sharpening business like they used to do for scissors in the olden days.....

74fj40
09-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Snap on tool dealer...