PDA

View Full Version : Anyone need to build an FJ40 rear Bumper?

Air Randy
12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Just as a reminder to everyone, if anyone is interested in building a bumper like this, I have most of the materials required to do it. I would be glad to help you build it at my place=heated shop, welder, chop saw, etc.

You bring beer, pizza, and anyone else who wants to help or hang out and BS but not get in the way.

I have the 5' piece of 2x4x1/4 for the main bumper section that will cost you $80. If you order the 2 bushings and 2 collars from Iron Pig Off Road for the spindle, I can give you the center pin and sleeve for free.

If you want to use 2x4 sections to make the angle supports, you will need to pick up another 24" section of the 2x4x1/4. I get my steel from Fastenal in Castle Rock as it is close, convenient and seems to be pretty reasonably priced. Or you could use 24" of 2x3x1/4 angle iron. For the swing arm I would suggest odering a 3' piece of 2x3x1/4 tube. I used the 2x4 stuff because I had it but it is a little overkill. You will also need a T Pin (if you want one) and a latch from McMasters or IPOR.

I bought the pre-built riser from IPOR for $99 and trimmed it up to fit. It looks very professional and it puts the tire on an angle, tilted in at the top. That way you can set the tire on the mount and it will not fall off while you're searching for the lug nuts. If you're on a tight budget we can fab something together out of angle iron if you bring enough of it.

I'll be at Ken's place this Friday if anyone wants to chat more about it.

Rzeppa
12-11-2008, 07:38 PM
What tyres are those? The new BFG KM3s?

Air Randy
12-12-2008, 04:40 PM
My son-in-law manages a Big O tire store, so he got these for me. I think they are the most aggressive tread MT tire they sell, but I can't remember the model name

ColoCruiserJeff
01-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Well....I need to build some protection for my FJ40....but I think I missed out on your build-date.

Let me know when you're available to hang out and melt some metal!!

Jeff
720-320-8207

Rzeppa
01-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Well....I need to build some protection for my FJ40....but I think I missed out on your build-date.

Let me know when you're available to hang out and melt some metal!!

Jeff
720-320-8207

IMHO and experience, 40s don't need much in the rear. They have excellent departure angles even with the stock bumpettes, and without them, they really dont need anything near what a draggin' wagon needs. JMHO.

subzali
01-03-2009, 10:28 PM
'cept for tow points, and to carry a fuel can and/or a jack and stuff.:twocents:

Air Randy
01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I got my engine back together and got her running tonight. I'm shortening the steering column by 1" tomorrow and welding a new rag joint fitting on since I got my power steering done now too.

I'm just up Hwy 83 from C. Spgs in Franktown. Give me a call and swing by and take a look at my bumper. I'm sure we could get something built for you now that I'm done with my major overhaul.

timmbuck2
01-04-2009, 09:34 PM
count me in when you go Jeff, I can bring beer and take notes for my 40. :)