PDA

View Full Version : Want to Buy desktop CPU w/WIN XP

Air Randy
12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
The wife has a generic desktop PC (about 5 years old) that uses a standard tower CPU and is running Windows XP. The hard drive crapped out and in the process of removing it I knocked a capacitor off of the video card. No biggy, I went to Best Buy and got a EID HD and PCI video card. I slapped the HD and video card in, put an XP boot disk in the dvd drive and hit the power button. The dvd drive is running but I cant get the video card to work, so of course I cant see to be able to load stuff on the HD, etc. So I took the components back for a refund and decided I would just buy a new CPU. Only problem is, they all come with Windows Vista. My wife has about 10K worth of SW for her special sewing machine that wont work on anything newer than XP. So, here are my questions:

1-Anyone here willing to take a run at fixing this existing machine? I'm glad to pay a fair price for the work and of course for the components.

2-Or, does anyone have a late model CPU running XP that they want to sell? If it doesn't have a 3.5 floppy in it, it has to be capable of using our existing one in an expansion slot as her sewing machine uses 3.5 disks.

Give me a call at 303-319-8976 if you can help. Thanks-Randy

bvb
12-10-2008, 10:47 PM
My son is financing his his way thru school doing just this. He has his last final in the morning and will have time thru the holidays! Give him a call A.J. 303-437-3897

trucruiser
12-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Some computer systems have an XP downgrade option when you order them, if you still wanted to go that route.
If you would like to have it fixed I could help you out but I am in The Greeley area so it might be quite a drive. PM me if you would like to try to work something out to get it repaired.

Trucruiser

Inukshuk
12-12-2008, 12:57 PM
newegg.com sells XP SP3 for $139.00. Dell has a few models where you can get the XP "downgrade". I took shot at using my old XP disks in the new machine but apparently my XP disks pre-date SATA, so I ran into HDD issues immediately.
I just got a Dell XPS 420 and am dealing with the Vista transition too. (Did you know that it is not easy to network Vista and XP machines together?) Anyway...

RockRunner
12-12-2008, 02:36 PM
I have several older systems laying around. Give me a call and we can see what you need/want.

Tom 303-829-0703

Inukshuk
12-12-2008, 04:02 PM
This off-lease low end XP system is $199 at Tiger Direct http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4165114&sku=J157-DT0001