PDA

View Full Version : Chain Clamp Tool w/ Breaker Bar?

PabloCruise
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Does anyone have one I can borrow?

I need to replace timing belt on my Honda and need this tool to remove crank pulley... The little sucker spins counterclockwise! No "bump the starter" trick for me.

I would love to get this done this weekend.

PabloCruise
12-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Or does anyone have a 50mm crank tool for the B18 engine?

rover67
12-12-2008, 07:57 AM
i've always been able to get them off with an air wrench, wither that or leave it in gear and get a helper to mash on the brakes while you give it a good yank.

PabloCruise
12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
i've always been able to get them off with an air wrench, wither that or leave it in gear and get a helper to mash on the brakes while you give it a good yank.

I like the brake idea!

I was wondering why the manual didn't say impact wrench... They did say not to spin it CW as it is an interference engine. I guess you could skip a tooth not having belt tensioned going CW?

Have you successfully impacted them off?

THanks!

Myredyota
12-13-2008, 01:11 AM
I have one of the "chain clamp tools" but I have never used it on our Hondas! I have always used a pry bar against the flywheel. I did use the brake trick when I did my 3.0 in my truck years ago. If you still need to borrow my chain wrench, let me know. Don't forget to do the water pump at the same time. :beer:

PabloCruise
12-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the ideas - I lucked out!!!

I was ready to tear into the timing belt and go after the tensioner or the water pump. On my way in I verified each belt driven accessory. It turned out to be the idler pulley that tensions the AC belt!!!

$50 pulley - will be here Tuesday!!! I bet I could source the bearing itself for less, but it is going to be a busy week at work...